Passed the PMP exam!

rollingwaverollingwave Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I wrote and passed my PMP exam today. I guess I can breathe a sigh of relief now lol. Prepared for it by studying like crazy for 3 weeks straight (booked my exam in at the beginning of this month) utilizing primarily 3 sources - PMBOK Guide, Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep (8th Edition) and CBT Nuggets - Project Management Professional (PMP) 2016 video series.

I would have to say Rita's book was the most useful of the 3. It contained a lot of helpful tips that I directly applied in my own exam. The practice questions at the end of each chapter were particularly helpful because they were at a similar knowledge level as the questions in the actual exam (IMO) and they were also all phrased in the same way as the real test. Contrarily, CBT Nuggets was pretty useless (for me). It didn't contain anything that I didn't already know and on top of that I spotted at least a few blatant mistakes - e.g when discussing the Tuckman ladder model the video instructor lists the sequence of stages as Forming/Norming/Storming/Performing/Adjourning when in fact it's Forming/STORMING/Norming/...etc.. If someone didn't already know this they might take the info as being correct when it's not.

I also want to mention that I discovered this forum just a week ago but have found the shared experiences posted by members to have been beneficial in my own preparation leading up to the exam. So I would like to say thanks to all those who have shared their experiences and offered helpful advice.

Getting this credential has given me the confidence to think about pursuing other certifications as well. This is just the beginning! :)

Comments

• t9ar91t9ar91 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass and great writeup! I definitely need to make time for this sometime this year.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Hope to join you on that cert list sometime hopefully this year
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • jjones2016jjones2016 Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. I too registered for the exam for November.
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wrote and passed my PMP exam today. I guess I can breathe a sigh of relief now lol. Prepared for it by studying like crazy for 3 weeks straight (booked my exam in at the beginning of this month) utilizing primarily 3 sources - PMBOK Guide, Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep (8th Edition) and CBT Nuggets - Project Management Professional (PMP) 2016 video series.

I would have to say Rita's book was the most useful of the 3. It contained a lot of helpful tips that I directly applied in my own exam. The practice questions at the end of each chapter were particularly helpful because they were at a similar knowledge level as the questions in the actual exam (IMO) and they were also all phrased in the same way as the real test. Contrarily, CBT Nuggets was pretty useless (for me). It didn't contain anything that I didn't already know and on top of that I spotted at least a few blatant mistakes - e.g when discussing the Tuckman ladder model the video instructor lists the sequence of stages as Forming/Norming/Storming/Performing/Adjourning when in fact it's Forming/STORMING/Norming/...etc.. If someone didn't already know this they might take the info as being correct when it's not.

I also want to mention that I discovered this forum just a week ago but have found the shared experiences posted by members to have been beneficial in my own preparation leading up to the exam. So I would like to say thanks to all those who have shared their experiences and offered helpful advice.

Getting this credential has given me the confidence to think about pursuing other certifications as well. This is just the beginning! :)

Congratulations! How was the application process? I'm prior military... trying to figure out how my role/job in the service would translate to PM hours.... hmmm LOL

Congrats again :)
    Hatch
  • reubs6reubs6 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Plans for 2017
    PMP-September
  • QualitQualit Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice encouragement