Help with HIT-001

jmartin2119jmartin2119 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I was wondering if I can get some solid advice on how I can get the HIT certification. My background is in Radiology. I have been working in a busy University hospital as a Cat Scan Technologist for the past 12 years. I recently passed the ABII CIIP exam which has Healthcare IT included in it, but mostly deals with the Radiology PACS storage of images. I have no IT experience. I recently purchased the ExamCram A+ text and have been watching Professor Messer videos to study for the A+ exam. Is it possible for me to skip the A+ and go straight to studying for the HIT exam? Also, are there any recommended study guides for the HIT? I'm planning my escape from Radiology into EMR/EHR and I'm uncertain if the A+ would benefit me. The hospital I work for is going to change EMR systems to EPIC and I'm trying to get my foot in the door before that happens. I took the CIIP exam because it does have some Health Informatics embeeded in it and I'm trying to stack up my certifications in anticipation of escaping radiology. To be honest, I have not seen or heard of anyone making the move out of radiology that I'm trying to achieve. Not that it matters, I'm also completing a Bachelors degree in Healthcare Administration in the next few months.

Thanks,
Josh

Comments

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i just recently passed this exam, it's not too heavy in the actual IT side. There are few books on Amazon that should suffice
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I have to agree with Mike-Mike, the HIT is not super IT heavy, mostly basic concepts, etc. If you've been studying for A+ you'll likely see some similar info, but at a more general level.

:) And don't worry about not seeing others "make the move out of radiology" as you are attempting. Sometimes you have to make your own way. Just keep learning, focus on a field you want to aim for. It may take a while but keep plugging away.

I used the book below primarily, but also have extensive IT knowledge, so I would recommend the second book as well. I think reading a couple texts helps fill in gaps, plus having additional practice questions:[h=1]CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician HIT-001 Cert Guide by Joy Dark and Julie Andrews[/h][h=1]Healthcare Information Technology Exam Guide for CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician and HIT Pro Certifications by Kathleen McCormick and Brian Gugerty[/h]
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HIT is mostly HIPAA stuff mixed in with IT basics. You shouldn't have much problem keeping up with the terminology and best practices since you work at a busy university hospital (I did also and it pretty much was just a review of the work environment). Good luck!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi jmartin2119,

If you want a basic overview of the A+ topics for the HIT-001 exam, I'd try getting a small book on the CompTIA Strata exam, use that as ref for the IT side of your exam as it covers the A+ stuff in a rudimentary fashion.
    For the HIT-001 exam I am currently studying from the Jean Andrews and Joy dark book:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Healthcare-Technician-HIT-001-Guides/dp/0789749297/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1452427321&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=CompTIA+Healthcare+IT+Technician+HIT-001+Cert+Guide+by+Joy+Dark+and+Julie+Andrews

The other book (Healthcare Information Technology Exam Guide for CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician and HIT Pro Certifications by Kathleen McCormick and Brian Gugerty) is rather large for this exam and probably covers more than actually necessary. Having said that the book I am using is perhaps a little too light on topics also best to get something supplemental. The other I have is "Health Information Technology by Mark Ciampa and Mark Revels". It seems to go a little deeper and covers some extra.

In my experience it is always best to have at least two books and an online source at a minimum for any CompTIA exam.

My recommendation would be to download and print out the exam objectives from CompTIA and then use a decent book to learn them and the internet as there is literally thousands of free offerings out there to help you.

Here is a link for their Exam Objectives: Exam Objectives

You can also download some free sample exam questions from the same site. Some people say the exam seems heavy on HIPAA rules/regs and business activities around HIT etc, maybe it's worth getting your head around all this stuff first as it is not really IT-based and given that you also work in the environment it may be an easy way to get a good start for study.

Hope this helps and all the best for your study and the exam. Should you need any ref or help on the IT side of things just drop me a line.

Steve
    The Wings of Technology
  • anishp403anishp403 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am preparing to take CIIP exam in 2 weeks. Could you please recommend good preparation material or where to get sample questions?

Hello All,

I was wondering if I can get some solid advice on how I can get the HIT certification. My background is in Radiology. I have been working in a busy University hospital as a Cat Scan Technologist for the past 12 years. I recently passed the ABII CIIP exam which has Healthcare IT included in it, but mostly deals with the Radiology PACS storage of images. I have no IT experience. I recently purchased the ExamCram A+ text and have been watching Professor Messer videos to study for the A+ exam. Is it possible for me to skip the A+ and go straight to studying for the HIT exam? Also, are there any recommended study guides for the HIT? I'm planning my escape from Radiology into EMR/EHR and I'm uncertain if the A+ would benefit me. The hospital I work for is going to change EMR systems to EPIC and I'm trying to get my foot in the door before that happens. I took the CIIP exam because it does have some Health Informatics embeeded in it and I'm trying to stack up my certifications in anticipation of escaping radiology. To be honest, I have not seen or heard of anyone making the move out of radiology that I'm trying to achieve. Not that it matters, I'm also completing a Bachelors degree in Healthcare Administration in the next few months.

Thanks,
    Josh

I am
  • lseederlseeder Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since CompTIA is no longer offering the exam, does anyone know who does offer it?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To my knowledge, no one offers a similar entry-level healthcare IT certification.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me