There's a charge to renew Network+ and A+ with Non-comptia certs?

georgiosgeorgios Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just done MCSA 2012 and tried to renew Network+ and A+.
on the portal looks like it asked me to pay $150 to renew even I tried to add ceu activities. Can you guys confirm that? Basically I'll pass if that's the case.

Comments

• sks.geeksks.geek Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the exam and was pretty annoyed that when you login for the first time, you are notified that there's a fee to renew the certification....
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup, I agree. But I went ahead, I guess they need to pay the higher up's at CompTIA. I suppose it is cheaper than taking the test again.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I let those old ones expire. If you're advancing your career, there should be no reason to renew CompTIA certs (unless Sec+ or other is required for compliance or other higher end ones).
  • georgiosgeorgios Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is cheaper than taking higher ones like security+. But I can't see the point of paying for that. I'll save the money for CCNA.
  • choochoohigginschoochoohiggins Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been out of the field for over 10 years and didn't even realize a+ and net+ expired. ugh..Guess I need to check into that.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some of the old ones are lifetime, if yours are that old you might have that. Worth making a login to the comptia site and digging into it.
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm looking at Network+ and Security+ in the future as stepping stones. I feel once I get past them, I won't be renewing.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What year did you earn you A+ and Network+? If earned before Jan. 1, 2011, they are considered good-for-life. On the other hand, most employers specify A+ and Network+ CE certifications now on job postings, they are not considered the same certifications as the Good For Life ones. I earned my A+ so long ago, it was all about troubleshooting the missing beads on an abacus and my Network+, troubleshooting strings between cans.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    TechGromit wrote: »
    What year did you earn you A+ and Network+? If earned before Jan. 1, 2011, they are considered good-for-life. On the other hand, most employers specify A+ and Network+ CE certifications now on job postings, they are not considered the same certifications as the Good For Life ones. I earned my A+ so long ago, it was all about troubleshooting the missing beads on an abacus and my Network+, troubleshooting strings between cans.

A+ and Net+ had sooo much overlap back then. If you went for one, you may as well took the other one. You had like 60% of the material covered.
    Troubleshooting impact printers and such lol...
    meh
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I earned my A+ so long ago, it was all about troubleshooting the missing beads on an abacus and my Network+, troubleshooting strings between cans.

Too funny!

You are required to maintain your certifications through a combination of continuing education/certification renewal and the associated fees. So they are asking you to pay for 3 $50 annual maintenance fees (or whatever they are called), or $150 total. You don't have that fee, if I remember correctly, if you take a higher level CompTIA certification and pass it.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me