Failed 70-411 Today

kengjameskengjames Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got a 680 which I think 1 more correct answer to pass, right?

Anyway, I struggled with Datacollector sets, FSRM, DFS-R and DirectAccess. I got highest in NPS.

Except for DCS, I'm comforable implementing these topics in my lab. But struggled with some questions that got me real thinking.

Any tips on how I could better understand DCS? I admit that I did not study a lot on it and only watched videos. I got about a couple of questions on it on the exam.

Thanks.

Comments

• Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take it again, 680 is only just a fail. I'm not personally strong with NPS stuff.

For DCS, there are a few example sites I've seen if you google DCS traces etc
  • majorpaynemajorpayne Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i failed the 70-411 as well, my score was worse 520. Hopefully the next time i will get it. Int he report it told me to focus on NPS, Networking( DNS) and DirectAccess and VPN.
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DCS is weird. It just something you have to practice with. Focus on performance counters and how to monitor things using counters too. Those are specific and they will throw some curveballs at you with those.

For DirectAccess, build a lab: 1 DC, 1 RRAS, 1 CA, 1 Win 8.1 Client. Configure your DC and your CA. Make sure and configure the CA to make the CRL available using the web. I can never remember the role for that but just take a look at the CA roles and you can figure it out. Issue your Certs to RRAS. Configure the RRAS server to act as VPN Server, LAN Routing, and DirectAccess. Have the client connect to it both internally an externally and make sure you can talk to CRL web site. Configure DA and get all your settings setup. This will take some weird work but it will work. This is the only way I have gotten DA to work in lab.

With DirectAccess remember that it depends on IPv6 and uses the transition protocols over the IPv4 networks. It supports Windows 8/Server 2012+ natively and it also supports Windows 7 but that requires some extra configuration and doesn't support all the features.

FSRM just helps make file shares easier. The idea here is building up to the Dynamic Access Control stuff in the 412. Remember for "Advanced" File Shares that you need FSRM. Lookup the powershell for it and spend some time on it.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • drdeanydrdeany Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed on Wednesday and it sounds like we had similar questions.

Check the thread I started today on how I studied. It might help you.

BTW, I got 752 so I just passed. But a pass is a PASS!
  • drdeanydrdeany Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's how I studied:
    1. Find a good source for video learning. My company provided SkillSoft (sucks). I personally used CBT Nuggets. Awesome series.

2. Supplement with textual information. I used two books that I found at a discount bookstore...there are a number of universities in the town so I found Mastering Windows Server 2012R2 and the MCSA Windows 2012R2 Study Guide both used. I would also read the technet articles recommended.

3. LAB! My company supplied me with a Win10 Enterprise laptop, so I installed Hyper-V and created 2012R2 VMs. Then I installed each service as I learned about it and used exercises from both books and CBT Nuggets.

4. Be systematic. As I learned about a service (ie: DNS) I watched videos, then did my reading/research on it, then labbed it. I tried to learn as much about it as possible before I went on the to next item.

5. Practice tests! I used Transcender practice exams to get used to the testing environment. And I like their flashcard ability. When I got a question wrong, I went back to my VMs and my research to understand why I chose wrong and why the correct answer was correct.