SSCP in the pocket, what next?

kurzonkurzon Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I received my SSCP and want to move onto a new certification. I want to have vendor-neutral, technical and practical certification. That's why management certs like CISSP and ITIL are out of my scope.

What would you suggest me to take? I feel GCIH can be a correct step, but can not be sure.

Comments

• djrojas7djrojas7 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CEH from EC-Council is a little more technical.
  • dayglodayglo Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In addition to the CEH, consider a CISA. I guess it depends on what you are most interested in...
  • kurzonkurzon Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think CEH is as reputable as it was before. And it is unnecessarily expensive.

When I looked at the contents, GCIH seemed much closer to CEH compared to other certs. As far as I see, CISA consists paperwork duties where GICH is focusing on hands-on incident handling.

Am I right, or am I missing something here?
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    eJPT
    eCPPT
    OSCP

It really depends on what you really would like to do. Those are the cheapest certs that I can think of that follow the wants that you have.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Thank you everyone.

What do you guys think about GSEC? Would it be too entry level? I even think about going with the OSCP certification, but I'm not sure I have the skillset enough. I've been in the field for 12 years, but only the last 4 years I've been working security oriented.
  • Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can I ask how long you studied for the SSCP and how was the exam itself. Any particular domains to concentrate on without breaking NDA.

Thanks and congrats on the pass.
    Infosec85 wrote: »
    Can I ask how long you studied for the SSCP and how was the exam itself. Any particular domains to concentrate on without breaking NDA.

Thanks and congrats on the pass.

Thank you.

I studied for around 3 months. I used Daryl Gibson's book. The exam itself was not as hard as I imagined. Just be sure you understand all the domains by reading about them on other sources (books, websites, videos etc), and not just answering the chapter quizzes.

During the exam, I did not see even one question that even close to any question that I saw before. All questions were unique.

Hope the best for you.
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as well as the end of chapter tests there was a cd from another company. Are they even close to the difficulty of the real exam? ( NDA in mind )

cheers
    It may only give you an idea.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Darill Gibson book only. But I would have suggested at least a fast review of the SSCP CBK, as there is a few question that Darill's book does not cover.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kurzon wrote: »
    Thank you everyone.

What do you guys think about GSEC? Would it be too entry level? I even think about going with the OSCP certification, but I'm not sure I have the skillset enough. I've been in the field for 12 years, but only the last 4 years I've been working security oriented.

GSEC doesn't make sense with the SSCP. However, the CSA+ is doable as well. But, the CASP is a step up.
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CSA+ or CCNA Cyber OPS. Booth are quite technical. CASP I found similar to SSCP in many chapters. Personally I'm impressed with CCNA Cyber OPS - very good cert for Blue Team. Covering security, network, incident handling and many other skills
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore