Unable to send OE e-mail with Exchange 2003

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I have an issue where I cannot send out e-mail in Outlook Express with Exchange 2003.

I have two virtual servers setup with Exchange 2003 installed on them:

Server Name: MTL-DC1
Domain: tailspintoys.com
IP Address: 10.10.0.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Server Name: MTL-NT1
Domain: fabrikam.com
IP Address: 10.10.0.30
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

From MTL-DC1, I setup an account in outlook express with MTL-DC1.tailspintoys.com as my incoming and outgoing server.

When I send out the e-mail to administrator@fabrikam.com I get this error message:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'administrator@fabrikam.com'. Subject 'Hello', Account: 'mtl-dc1.tailspintoys.com', Server: 'mtl-dc1.tailspintoys.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for administrator@fabrikam.com', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I have already checked my DNS server and there is a MX record there. The Exchange System Manager has POP3 and SMTP virtual servers running.

The strange thing is the e-mail can be sent out using the Outlook Web Access.

Does anybody know why I can’t send out e-mail in Outlook Express, but it works with Outlook Web Access?

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    My Exchange knowledge dates back two versions so I may be way off but:
    Does anybody know why I can’t send out e-mail in Outlook Express, but it works with Outlook Web Access?
    Probably because you (the sending user) is correctly authenticated in OWA and in Outlook Express you are not logging on to the server when sending email. I haven't used OE in a while, but you probably need to set an option in OE to 'logon to the outgoing mailserver before sending email'. I'm assuming you are using pop3/imap btw.
  • RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    Yes, I am using POP3.

With Outlook Express I have no issues sending e-mails in the same tailspintoys.com domain. The problem occurs when I send e-mail to other domains like fabrikam.com.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On the client, in the POP3 account settings, select the option "My server requires authentication". Specifically:

Tools
    Accounts
    Mail
    Click the correct account and then the Properties button
    Click the Servers tab
    In the Outgoing Mail Server section enable My server requires authentication.
    Click Apply, click OK, click Close
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    sprkymrk wrote:
    On the client, in the POP3 account settings, select the option "My server requires authentication". Specifically:

Tools
    Accounts
    Mail
    Click the correct account and then the Properties button
    Click the Servers tab
    In the Outgoing Mail Server section enable My server requires authentication.
    Click Apply, click OK, click Close

It doesn't seem to work.

When I send out e-mail with "My server requires authentication" enabled, outlook express keeps on asking for the username, password and domain.

Even after typing the correct information, the authentication logging window keeps popping up.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Instead of listing your server by domain name, try entering that information by ip (10.10.0.10).
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    Also could try going onto your exchange server and adding your machine's IP thats sending/receiving the e-mail to the allowed to send/relayed too e-mail list not sure exactly what its called as havent used in a while.

as from the error message it sounds like your specifically not allowed to send e-mails through that server or the server your sending too is specifically not allowed to be relayed to.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.