Security+ is completely boring

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is very boring material and almost all of it was covered by the Net+ thus far. It just goes more in depth on cryptography and policies. Not done with it yet but that's where I'm at.

Can't wait to dive into the CCNA, the A+ is actually kinda fun too cause I like building gaming PCs for myself probably do that while studying for the CCNA.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is very boring material and almost all of it was covered by the Net+ thus far. It just goes more in depth on cryptography and policies. Not done with it yet but that's where I'm at.

Can't wait to dive into the CCNA, the A+ is actually kinda fun too cause I like building gaming PCs for myself probably do that while studying for the CCNA.

I think there is quite a lot of overlap with CompTIA's exams. Even CASP covered some of the material from Security+.

Perhaps you are going to take a shot at Security+ very soon?
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I am going to finish the book first and take 2 weeks to do practice exams anyway just incase.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is very boring material and almost all of it was covered by the Net+ thus far.
    That's a new thing. Network+ in the past had much less security content. CompTIA, for whatever reason, decided to borrow a lot of the Security+ content and insert it into Network+.

There's still a lot more on PKI/crypto, threats, vulnerabilities, risk management, and incident response compared to Network+ though. Network+ didn't really cover crypto very well. Same with VPNs.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • hulud86hulud86 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with you. I'm half way through D Gibson's book and almost everything in the first 5 chapters was on the Network+ that I took in May. So far I'm a little bored with it.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cert Poor wrote: »
    That's a new thing. Network+ in the past had much less security content. CompTIA, for whatever reason, decided to borrow a lot of the Security+ content and insert it into Network+.

There's still a lot more on PKI/crypto, threats, vulnerabilities, risk management, and incident response compared to Network+ though. Network+ didn't really cover crypto very well. Same with VPNs.

I have a tendency to dig deeper than the book material into topics I'm unfamiliar with. It helps me remember the topic a lot more clearly so it's also possible that I learned a lot more than I had to for the Net+.

I have 200 pages left in the book and some of the topics do go deeper into the material than the Net+ but a lot of it is also redundant.

I am expecting a lot of networking based questions on the test and things that are logical or more intuitive.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How hard is Security+ compared to Network+? I took Network+ (and barely passed) and found it to be quite difficult. So far, studying for Security+ has been pretty straight forward and not that technical.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you take the CompTIA trio in order (A+, N+, S+), I'd say the Network+ is the hardest. There are a lot of networking concepts in the Sec+ exam, and you will find that a lot of questions may overlap between the two. If you've done the Net+, you should be able to pass the Sec+ within a month of additional study.

However, if the Sec+ is the first exam you are doing of the trio, then that will be the hardest exam as you won't have any previous experience from the other exams to support you.
    My Security+ was my first CompTIA exam and I did find it challenging. The material was not difficult, the way they word the questions was challenging.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If it's boring, you wont like the CASP or CISSP study materials, or any other cyber sec materials for that matter.

Having said that, I passed the Security+ back in November? After waking up on my friends roof with a hangover, with a Harold and Kumar adventure drive arriving at the testing center wearing a clown suit with glue in the dark part stripes across my face. You'd never in your life seen a test proctor fight so hard not to laugh seeing me go in.

But I still passed it, the fact is the information on the Security+ regardless of what IT discipline you go into, you will always use the knowledge in some way, shape, or form. Literally.
    Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
    WGU-Software Development Student
  • AspiringAspiring Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    How hard is Security+ compared to Network+? I took Network+ (and barely passed) and found it to be quite difficult. So far, studying for Security+ has been pretty straight forward and not that technical.

Don't worry, the Security+ is a lot easier. I took the test this morning. It's still CompTIA so they will have a handful of the oddly worded questions making you question whether you passed or not, but for the most part the majority of the questions were pretty easy. I felt exactly the same way about Security+ when I started too
  • bolajibreezebolajibreeze Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the fact that I actually google searched this is a testament. I cant read a chapter without sleeping, this is the most boring cert I have ever tried to prepare for. SHould have just completed the CCNA instead
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Try reading an ITIL book. That, my friend, is quite boring. I attempted reading the first chapter 3 times. By the second chapter I gave up and started watching CBT nuggets. That was essentially my only resource for the test, after three days I finished the videos, took three practice exams, failed the first two times, barely passed the third attempt (all of this on exam day), took the exam and barely passed.

Security+ was has been a breath of fresh air so far. Learning so much.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Different strokes, I guess. I think it's interesting to see all the different ways people have approached the issue of keeping data safe yet accessible to the right people. Now people demand ever more access as the threats increase, so there will always be new problems to solve.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Boxer, did you get so bored and never took the Sec+ exam? It's been almost a year since the OP
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    the fact that I actually google searched this is a testament. I cant read a chapter without sleeping, this is the most boring cert I have ever tried to prepare for. SHould have just completed the CCNA instead

People finding out security isn't all hacking and as exciting as the movies make it out to be? No way!
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you being forced to take Security+? If you're not pursuing a career in InfoSec, why are you taking it?
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I fell asleep reading the NIST Cyber security framework once last month and that's only like a 15 pager. Never read any ITIL but I remember the PMBOK being hellaciously boring when studying for the CAPM years ago--probably the same kind of boring. I think anything policy/framework related tends to be as fun as watching paint dry. Lot's of policy stuff in Security+ from what I remember.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP