A+ practice exam Ques

Bushman26Bushman26 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Could you please assist me with the best possible way to answer the following question.

Question: You have been told that a number of work stations in your department may be upgraded in the near future and you have been assigned the task of locally logging on to each and collecting and collecting basic data on them. All workstations on this floor run windows 7. how would you most efficiently collect the following information?

Windows Edition?
Service Pack installed?
Processor?
Installed memory?
Total paging file size for all drives?

Thank you for your help, new at this so hopefully I did not irritate anyone...

Comments

• PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the first four, you are after the System control panel. Click Start, right-click Computer and choose Properties.

For the last one, from the System control panel, select Advanced System Settings and under the Advanced tab, go to Performance. Click "Settings..." - Then click on the Advanced tab and under Virtual Memory hit the "Change..." button. This will show you paging files for all drives.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Bushman26Bushman26 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you phalanx
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bushman26 wrote: »
    how would you most efficiently collect the following information?

The most efficient way to collect that information is to write a script that uses WMI and remotely queries all the workstations. Anything that removes the need to physically (and tediously!) log in to each workstation is a time-saver (read: efficient use of time). You can use PowerShell or batch file. Or heck, look it up in SCCM or any reliable CMDB that your company uses. There might be some Sysinternals tools that can also collect this info, such as PsInfo.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I very much doubt they meant that level of "efficiency" in A+. ;)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Phalanx wrote: »
    I very much doubt they meant that level of "efficiency" in A+. ;)

I agree. It's not something that would be asked on A+ but more on a Microsoft exam simulation question. That said, the OP's example seemed out of context: I've never seen a practice question like that, especially void of multiple choice answers. Was it a simulation question, perhaps?

Either way, there is value in giving a real-world answer to the OP's real-world question. A+ doesn't translate well into the real world, so I thought pointing OP in the right direction would help give a starting point.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
    Actually I got the question from a book that I am using to supplement what I have for study materials... While watching one of Prof Messer's videos on identifying current BIOS version I came across the answer in a way that might be the most efficient which is by running (msinfo32) from the command line. This gives you the system information with all of the answers on there... I am in Africa my friends and exchange rates are killer in terms of buying materials. We do the best with what we got... thanks guys.
    The book is a Sybex book: Comptia A+ second edition Complete deluxe study by Quentin Docter, Emmet Dulaney and Toby Skandler just in case of curiosity.