SANS Certification Renewals

BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
OK. Is this how SANS/GIAC certification renwal works?

I got my GSLC cert in 2014 and it expires 31 Jan 2018

I took the 504 course to prep for the GCIH exam and was awarded 36 CPE which SANS has automatically accepted to renew my GSLC. But it still says my expiration is 31 Jan 2018.

I click on the CPE Submissions page and it shows me the 36 credits from the 504 course have been applied to my GSLC cert. I click the big and obvious PURCHASE NOW button. It displays the Certification Maintenance Overview

with choices of Certification Exam or Alternative CPEs

I don't want to take the exam over again. so I click Alternative CPEs

Brings me to a window for Candidate Consideration information and billing.

There is an outline listing Products: GIAC Security Leadership $399 with Include Books checked off.

So, if I put in all my credit card info and Review Order and pay... are they finally going to update my cert to 31 Jan 2022?

I'm guessing I get a copy of the latest SANS MGT:512 (GSLC prep course) courseware for my reference?

Does this mean it's in my interest if I want THE LATEST courseware, I should wait to the last minute and pay the $399?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You are doing it right. The two paths for renewing are taking he exam or acquiring the 36 CPEs. Anyone of those involved the $399 fee. I haven't renewed yet but I'm sure your status will be updated shortly after that to reflect 31 Jan 2022.

Up to you if you want to wait, I wouldn't. Make sure you do it prior to your GIAC certification expiration date.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I guess you could wait a few months, but I wouldn't wait too long. It's not like they update the course material once a week, or even once a month. Proably twice a year at most, for the most popular courses, less often for less popular courses.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought they updated at least once a year. Just want to get the latest material and compare percentage of new material over 4 years and volume of pages.
  • gwood113gwood113 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cyberguypr is right the renewal will extend your current renewal date out 4 years. It's not like CompTia which only renews you from the date you meet requirements.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Contact their support.
    they will be able to verify and answer your questions.
    a couple times for me there have been issues on their end.
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a question along the same lines . I am just wondereding if they include a new usb drive with updated files with the books?
    Free Reading : History Books
    I have a question along the same lines . I am just wondereding if they include a new usb drive with updated files with the books?

Actually that is a good question, but the entire point of giving you updated books is so you can keep current with any changes in the material. Since the books have labs, I would assume they would give you an USB stick as well.
  • sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    I did get a new set of books and an updated USB when I renewed my GCIA.
  • kanikedude03kanikedude03 Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They give you the updated audio, books, and VMs. I renewed my GCIH in October and my GWAPT last month and for both of those they didn't give me a "USB" for the VMs. They did however make the VMs available on the SANS portal under my account. A word of caution though! Ensure that the books and the audio are the same version! I just had to have mine corrected on this last renewal. Here's how to check:

The file names for the MP3s will end in something like B01. Just ensure that page 1 of the first book of your new books (542-1 in my case) matches the version number listed on your MP3s. I had them give me access to B01 MP3s but send me C01 books and there were significant differences in content. When they finally gave me access to the correct MP3s, one of the first things that the narrator mentions is that they just went through a major re-architecture of class content.
  • sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    They give you the updated audio, books, and VMs. I renewed my GCIH in October and my GWAPT last month and for both of those they didn't give me a "USB" for the VMs. They did however make the VMs available on the SANS portal under my account. A word of caution though! Ensure that the books and the audio are the same version! I just had to have mine corrected on this last renewal. Here's how to check:

The file names for the MP3s will end in something like B01. Just ensure that page 1 of the first book of your new books (542-1 in my case) matches the version number listed on your MP3s. I had them give me access to B01 MP3s but send me C01 books and there were significant differences in content. When they finally gave me access to the correct MP3s, one of the first things that the narrator mentions is that they just went through a major re-architecture of class content.
    Interesting about the USB. I renewed my CIA a few years ago and they did send me a USB. Either way though, they do make the labs available.

That crazy about the mixed up versions. Thanks for the tip on how to recognize the versions.
    sb97 wrote: »
    Interesting about the USB. I renewed my CIA a few years ago and they did send me a USB. Either way though, they do make the labs available.

That crazy about the mixed up versions. Thanks for the tip on how to recognize the versions.

Yep, no problem!
    They give you the updated audio, books, and VMs. I renewed my GCIH in October and my GWAPT last month and for both of those they didn't give me a "USB" for the VMs.

What about updated certificates? Do they send you paper certifications you have to then insert into the plaques? Looking at mine, there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to remove the glass/plastic to switch out the certificate. Or do they give the option to buy new framed plaques?
    I contacted SANS, they say new certificates and framed certificates are available after you renew. While they didn't say, I would guess the framed certificates cost $. They didn't answer my question weather or not the frame comes part to insert an updated certificate. Looking at mine, not sure if the gold bumps on the frame unscrew, there certainly not any way to remove them with pliers without damaging the screws or frame far as I can see.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The framed certificates with the wooden backboard are $20. I made the mistake of going this route for a bunch of my initial GIAC certs and subsequent renewals and now I have an entire crate of them that I ended up not bothering to display.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    $20 is pretty reasonable. (ISC)2 will charge you 100 for the plaque....

I bought the plaque....
    docrice wrote: »
    The framed certificates with the wooden backboard are $20. I made the mistake of going this route for a bunch of my initial GIAC certs and subsequent renewals and now I have an entire crate of them that I ended up not bothering to display.

While I may not yet add my certifications to my email signature, I proudly display them on my office wall. I'm willing to pay a few dollars to get updated wooden frames to display.
  • Janne4Janne4 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So you can choose weather you take the exam again to renew the certification or just submit CPE's to "automatically" renew it for 4 years?
    Interesting, I didn't know that that was a option. I always assumed that you hade to do the test all over again every 4 years.
    Janne4 wrote: »
    I always assumed that you hade to do the test all over again every 4 years.

You do have to pass the GSE exam every 4 years, that's the only exception, but you don't have to take the GSE Lab exam again
    Sorry it took me so long to reply, but as others have said, it was 20ish dollars for the new wooden plaque (you have to get a new one every 4 years as they expire). I have an office room at home that I display all of my certifications in and the price seems worth it to me. I think they will send you a paper certificate for free if you don't want to pay the extra for the wooden plaque though.
    Here's another thought.

I have the GCIH and the GSLC cert.

I take the MGT512: Sans Security Leadership Essentials for Managers course again and get the CPE credits to renew my GSLC.

Can I also apply the CPEs to renew my GCIH?

Two, three or even four certs renewed with one course?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Here are the details:
    Can I use the same CPE credits towards multiple GIAC renewals?
    YES.

SANS Training and new GIAC certifications
    - Qualify for up to 36 CPEs and can be used to renew up to three
    GIAC renewals.

Other Accredited Professional Training or Certification, Graduate Level
    Courses, or a Published Technical Work

- Qualify for up to 36 CPEs and can be used to renew up to two
    GIAC renewals

Supplemental Options can be used to renew 1 GIAC certification
    - Non-accredited training qualifies for up to 18 CPEs.
    - NetWars / Cyber Ranges qualifies for up to 12 CPEs.
    - Work Experience qualifies for up to 12 CPEs.
    - Community Participation qualifies for up to 12 CPEs
    I just got a congratulatory letter from SANS for giving them 412 bucks!

I got the 36 CPE needed to renew my GSLC cert last year when I took the GCIH course. They didn't renew my cert until I paid the $399 plus $13 shipping and handling fee for the new GSLC books.

Within minutes of paying them, they issued me a CONGRATULATIONS!!

[FONT=&amp]Dear William,
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Congratulations on completing your GSLC certification renewal! Our records
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]show you have successfully obtained the 36 CPE's necessary to maintain your
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]certification status.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Your renewal will be posted to the GIAC website within the next few days.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]http://www.giac.org/certified_professionals
    [/FONT]
    As for electronic training materials. They tell me to go get them myself before December 7th, 2017

Looks like they are the podcasts to go with the books. Total download is 784 MB.

[FONT=&quot]Hello William,
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You have chosen to renew your GSLC certification by submitting Continuing Professional Education credits (CPEs).
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Your bonus training materials are now available in your account with an access deadline of Thursday, December 7, 2017. If you chose to receive a set of course books, you should receive them in about a week (or sooner as indicated by the shipping service you selected).
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To access the online materials, log into your account at https://www.sans.org/account.
    [/FONT]
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    SANS Training and new GIAC certifications
    - Qualify for up to 36 CPEs and can be used to renew up to three
    GIAC renewals.

Can you clarify this statement. Are CPE's used up when applied to renewing a certification? (so all 36 CPE's get "used" renewing one GIAC cert) Or can the same 36 CPE's be applied to three different certifications?

Another thing that puzzles me. I Took the SANS 401 and SANS 504, and obtained the GIAC certifications for both of them, I just took the SANS 610, assuming I pass the certification, Can I use the SANS 504/GIAC CPE's to renew my SANS 401/GIAC, use my SAN 610/GIAC to renew my SANS 504/GIAC and use the SANS 401/GIAC to renew my SANS 610/GIAC, giving me a total of 8 years on my certs?
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    https://www.giac.org/certifications/renewal outlines the process pretty well.

TechGromit, you wouldn't be able to use 401 to renew 601 because the training took place prior, and for a certification to renew something it has to be a NEW certification (says right in the table on the website). You would be able to apply your 610 credits to both 401 AND 504 though (and if you had a third GIAC it would apply to that as well).

For me, my intention is to try to keep certifications on a similar renewal cycle because it makes maintaining so much easier...obviously if you go to the GSE then you can automatically accomplish this...but otherwise I assume paying up early starts you sooner (maybe not though).
    ...And it looks like they sent me the link to the lab USB/DVD iso last night. It's about a 2.4 GB ISO file.
    BillHoo wrote: »
    As for electronic training materials. They tell me to go get them myself before December 7th, 2017

Looks like they are the podcasts to go with the books. Total download is 784 MB.

[FONT=&amp]Hello William,
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]You have chosen to renew your GSLC certification by submitting Continuing Professional Education credits (CPEs).
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Your bonus training materials are now available in your account with an access deadline of Thursday, December 7, 2017. If you chose to receive a set of course books, you should receive them in about a week (or sooner as indicated by the shipping service you selected).
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]To access the online materials, log into your account at https://www.sans.org/account.
    [/FONT]
  • Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    I am trying to take the GSLC certification attempt without taking a class ($1700). I am unclear as to whether they send you books after they vet your application or if you have to pay an extra fee for those books.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I could be wrong but I doubt they will give you the materials if you don’t take the course originally. Maybe somebody here who has challenged can comment but otherwise I would ask GIAC/SANS.
  • Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you TechGuru80
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They do not send the books. The cost of just the certification covers two practice tests and the exam. SANS business model revolves around the need to take class in order to pass the test. Of course it is possible to pass the test without the class/books but it's a lot more work.