DFW Jobs

Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

Sitting here floating the idea of relocating to the DFW area...

If you have a technical recruiter you would recommend, would you mind sharing the contact info?

Or, if you know of any IT Project Management positions within your company..possibly infrastructure/network, I could use the info as well.

I've recently completed an MBA ITM degree with WGU and I'm currently working on the PMP cert... this is the path I would like to head down...

Thanks for the help in advance.
Hatch
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• TexasITguyTexasITguy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The DFW area has a good tech industry. Several of my friends have had no issues finding a job. I currently live in Houston and am looking to move out there as well. I cant really offer any help as far as job leads go, but I do not think you will regret the move. Cost of living is cheap compared to other areas of Texas and the US.
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TexasITguy wrote: »
    The DFW area has a good tech industry. Several of my friends have had no issues finding a job. I currently live in Houston and am looking to move out there as well. I cant really offer any help as far as job leads go, but I do not think you will regret the move. Cost of living is cheap compared to other areas of Texas and the US.

Thank you for the info. I lived in Lubbock a very long time ago, we would visit the DFW area a couple times a year. That being said.. I'm sure the cities have grown tremendously since 1993 lol I've kept my eye on the area, we have it pretty nice here in Phoenix, excluding the melting heat. I spoke with a person from the area yesterday, they've experienced a mass influx the past 5 years and expect much of the same for the next few years. True.. the IT market is strong. We will continue to research...and I'm contemplating flying out in a few months to spend some time there before me make the leap.

Good luck if you make the move :) and thanks again for the note.

Hatch
  • Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TexasITguy wrote: »

Got any recommendations for Houston? I've been looking for a job around here for a few months and nothing so far, not even a call. Decided I'd start looking around Denver and Austin as well.
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Quit coming to DFW , your making the traffic super bad. (J/K, but traffic is super bad). I would say it get hot but it would be cooler for you.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tmtex wrote: »
    Quit coming to DFW , your making the traffic super bad. (J/K, but traffic is super bad). I would say it get hot but it would be cooler for you.

Austin's full, too! I hear that San Antonio is nice...
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DFW has grown immensely for tech jobs, especially due to some of the big tech moving into town (Facebook / Amazon) and others relocating their corporate offices. Project Mgmt jobs are plentiful too. I however don't have specific leads. I would suggest making sure your Linkedin is updated, get a dice profile setup, and the jobs should be found relatively easy. I love the area for the cost of living and exposure to the big tech industry. This area is definitely the best in to work in tech in Texas by far.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    LOL Who doesn't like 2 hours in traffic... it gives you time to think about your life and the choices you've made LOL

Phoenix traffic isn't horrendous... it can be frustrating at times.. but... it's nothing like LA traffic. I've read several posts about Austin's traffic... doesn't sound like fun.

We will visit the area before we make the decision to move....

Again... if anyone has an IT recruiter in the DFW area you've used in the past.... please share :)

Hatch
  • TexasITguyTexasITguy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Blade3D wrote: »
    Got any recommendations for Houston? I've been looking for a job around here for a few months and nothing so far, not even a call. Decided I'd start looking around Denver and Austin as well.

Sorry, I have been looking for something as well. Staffing agencies have been worthless and never return my emails or phone calls. I am searching San Antonio and DFW area. San Antonio is my top pick honestly, but the IT job market is not great there. Most of the jobs I have found were defense contract jobs.

I moved to Houston from Denver about 7 months ago. I worked in a different field, but heard the market was decent. There is crazy competition there though. All the potheads were moving there at an alarming rate. I ended up moving because the COL was becoming unsustainable and I knew I was going to take a pay cut with an entry lvl IT Job.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Used to work in DFW. Vectrus (Military Contracting) is down there. Might be worth a look on their website. Their standards are usually pretty low.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
    Used to work in DFW. Vectrus (Military Contracting) is down there. Might be worth a look on their website. Their standards are usually pretty low.

LOL not sure how one is supposed to take that comment? LOL

Thanks?
    Hatch :)
  • mactexmactex Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We source from these guys: https://www.teksystems.com/en/locations/united-states/texas/irving

If you have any Sec exp; you will get picked up in a hot minute.
    Many thanks Mactex. I will keep an eye out.

Thanks again,
    Hatch
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are tons of opportunity in Tech in DFW. That said, the main reason I left the area was that the traffic was god awful. I lived 27 miles from my office, which was in the Las Colinas area and if I left at 5:30am for work I'd get there in about 35 minutes. If I left at 6:15 am, it would take me a solid hour to hour and a half unless a moron flipped a car randomly. If I left at 7, I may get to the office by 8:30 or 9, unless a moron set a car on fire.

Leaving work was around 3:30-4pm and would take me a solid hour to hour 15 most days. Some days it took me 3 hours to go those 27 miles. That said, housing costs have been jumping due to all the people who have moved to the area and a lack of housing. And the metroplex is stupidly spread out and most homes that are in safe/good neighborhoods are too expensive if close to the main work hubs, or a decent distance away if you need a less expensive home. I do miss the area at times and the many super friendly people, but I'll never miss that traffic.
    There are tons of opportunity in Tech in DFW. That said, the main reason I left the area was that the traffic was god awful. I lived 27 miles from my office, which was in the Las Colinas area and if I left at 5:30am for work I'd get there in about 35 minutes. If I left at 6:15 am, it would take me a solid hour to hour and a half unless a moron flipped a car randomly. If I left at 7, I may get to the office by 8:30 or 9, unless a moron set a car on fire.

Leaving work was around 3:30-4pm and would take me a solid hour to hour 15 most days. Some days it took me 3 hours to go those 27 miles. That said, housing costs have been jumping due to all the people who have moved to the area and a lack of housing. And the metroplex is stupidly spread out and most homes that are in safe/good neighborhoods are too expensive if close to the main work hubs, or a decent distance away if you need a less expensive home. I do miss the area at times and the many super friendly people, but I'll never miss that traffic.

Sounds like a nightmare. Traffic here is Phoenix can be bad... but.. I haven't been stuck for hours ...ever...even when there's a wreck. I appreciate the info. :)

Hatch
    Hatch1921 wrote: »
    Sounds like a nightmare. Traffic here is Phoenix can be bad... but.. I haven't been stuck for hours ...ever...even when there's a wreck. I appreciate the info. :)

Hatch

Fort Worth and Plano is a lot better for traffic and there are lots of hubs there as well.
    Reading
    Fort Worth and Plano is a lot better for traffic and there are lots of hubs there as well.

Thanks for the info. :) The job market there appears to be very strong.... I'll head out in a couple of months and tour the areas. We are looking at San Antonio as well. I'm retired military... having access to the bases would be a plus. Still shopping around... I'm sure we will find a new place to try/live in the near future. I appreciate the information.

Hatch

Fort Worth better for traffic?!!! Plano is nearly just as bad. You clearly haven't been living / working in the area for a while.

Sorry but that couldn't be further from the truth (no offense here just trying to warn people of traffic)! Fort Worth is by far the worst possible area in the metroplex right now. Most of it is due to construction and will be really bad because of that for a while still. Just my wife an I went out to dinner last night (16 miles from home) in Fort Worth. Took us and hour to get home at 9pm (mostly due to construction again).

I also work in Plano, and its REALLY bad. With all the jobs flocking to the area traffic has gotten bad and the construction to "fix" / expand the highways makes to soooo much worse! I have an hr+ commute one way for 32 miles.

And yes the area is getting tough because of that. The metroplex is a massive expanse of space and continues to grow that way because of the availability of land. So get in while you can because hosing is getting nuts too. If you want to live middle of the metroplex close to jobs get ready to spend $500k+ for ~3k sq/ft.

Edit: DFW recently passed Houston Metroplex as most populous city metroplex in Texas (7mil+). Traffic really ins't horrible on most accounts though (as in grid lock). Grid lock is just bad in areas of construction which they are mostly working on. However because of the space size people who want affordable housing on average drive far (like me). We do need better mass transit though which could help reduce some of the heavy traffic during rush hours.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I also work in Plano, and its REALLY bad. With all the jobs flocking to the area traffic has gotten bad and the construction to "fix" / expand the highways makes to soooo much worse! I have an hr+ commute one way for 32 miles.

I live in Frisco and work in Plano, and the traffic isn't too bad. It's certainly gotten worse over the last few years with all of the construction and people moving to the area, but it still only takes me 15-ish minutes to get to work. Also, your interpretation of traffic depends a lot on perspective... I used to live in the DC area and had a 17 mile commute from Fairfax, VA to Capitol Hill. That 17 miles would take 60-90 minutes in the morning, and as much 120 minutes in the evening.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
    Fort Worth better for traffic?!!! Plano is nearly just as bad. You clearly haven't been living / working in the area for a while.

Sorry but that couldn't be further from the truth (no offense here just trying to warn people of traffic)! Fort Worth is by far the worst possible area in the metroplex right now. Most of it is due to construction and will be really bad because of that for a while still. Just my wife an I went out to dinner last night (16 miles from home) in Fort Worth. Took us and hour to get home at 9pm (mostly due to construction again).

And yes the area is getting tough because of that. The metroplex is a massive expanse of space and continues to grow that way because of the availability of land. So get in while you can because hosing is getting nuts too. If you want to live middle of the metroplex close to jobs get ready to spend $500k+ for ~3k sq/ft.

Edit: DFW recently passed Houston Metroplex as most populous city metroplex in Texas (7mil+). Traffic really ins't horrible on most accounts though (as in grid lock). Grid lock is just bad in areas of construction which they are mostly working on. However because of the space size people who want affordable housing on average drive far (like me). We do need better mass transit though which could help reduce some of the heavy traffic during rush hours.

No offense taken and the above poster is right, I was born and raised in Los Angeles, Fort Worth and Plano is not that bad. I admit, they are only slight better than Dallas traffic, but still better. To me, Dallas was just a little bit worst.
    Reading

Well... it sounds a little like Vegas... always under construction... long traffic delays. Thanks for taking the time to fill me in. I've added a poll... something I should have had at the beginning. LOL Phoenix sounds a little less frustrating compared to the DFW area.

Thanks again.
    Hatch
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    I live in Frisco and work in Plano, and the traffic isn't too bad. It's certainly gotten worse over the last few years with all of the construction and people moving to the area, but it still only takes me 15-ish minutes to get to work. Also, your interpretation of traffic depends a lot on perspective... I used to live in the DC area and had a 17 mile commute from Fairfax, VA to Capitol Hill. That 17 miles would take 60-90 minutes in the morning, and as much 120 minutes in the evening.

Thanks for the info....:) I'm fortunate with my schedule now... 0600-14:30 so I miss the bulk of the morning and evening rush. I have a 45 min drive as I live a good distance from work... I can handle 45 min...maybe up to an hour... but... that would be the absolute max.

Thanks again.
    Hatch
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Toll lanes opening on 35W in Fort Worth soon, so north-south traffic should be much better.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

My 2 cents on traffic: depends where you live and work. I can't speak to the Fort Worth side but the traffic isn't that bad considering how many people are moving during rush hour. I live in McKinney and commute to Coppell. Takes me about 35 minutes with tolls. Tolls for me are about $8 a day so factor that in to your decision. When I was working in Allen; commute was only 15 minutes and no tolls, so again; depends on location. The DFW sprawl is pretty big and growing. A lot of traffic is due to construction (expanding highways in most areas). I am also retired military and the only exchange/commissary that I know about is JRB Fort worth, which is too far for me to drive to regularly.
    mactex wrote: »
    My 2 cents on traffic: depends where you live and work. I can't speak to the Fort Worth side but the traffic isn't that bad considering how many people are moving during rush hour. I live in McKinney and commute to Coppell. Takes me about 35 minutes with tolls. Tolls for me are about $8 a day so factor that in to your decision. When I was working in Allen; commute was only 15 minutes and no tolls, so again; depends on location. The DFW sprawl is pretty big and growing. A lot of traffic is due to construction (expanding highways in most areas). I am also retired military and the only exchange/commissary that I know about is JRB Fort worth, which is too far for me to drive to regularly.

Thank you Mactex :) And thank you for your service! I'm going to have to fly out... rent a car... and explore the areas here soon. When we lived in Lubbock.... we would visit DFW a couple times a year... concerts/games...etc. But.. this was between 1991-1995 LOL I'm a little "out of touch" so to speak with the area/s now. It's been so long... Carswell was open at the time and we would stay on the base. LOL

We are going to explore San Antonio as well... 4 bases... so... I could make use of the benefits.

Thanks again all for the info... it's been very helpful.

Hatch
    dmoore44 wrote: »

I have no desire to live in the DC area traffic nightmare. DFW is a commute haven compared to that.

However as of now you live right next door to your job that is why you don't feel that traffic is bad. Plano / Frisco area is bad because there isn't a lot of highway infrastructure that pumps into it's commerce areas (mainly north Plano / Frisco area). Basically all you have is 121 and DNT, 121 is gridlocked daily, not to mention it is all Toll!! I would spend $200+ a month on tolls if I used all the tolls in my commute. Actually, my commute is faster cutting through the city roads in the areas of Flower Mound / Lewisville instead of taking 121.

I come from the north Fort Worth area so I have to cross the entire expanse of the metroplex. Plano / Frisco area is the worst part of my commute hands down. Although Fort Worth is probably the absolute worst area for traffic in general. Frisco and Plano don't trail very far behind at all. If you ask me 121 was not built with the forecast of population that north Plano / Frisco have grown to / continue to grow into. But like I've mentioned mainly due to lack of infrastructure and the construction on the roads that feed those areas.

The truth of the matter is and like I mentioned the Metroplex area is 7mil+ people with masses of connecting suburbs surrounding the areas at an expanse of about 75 miles east-west / north-south. So unfortunately commute is part of life in this town. Is it the worst town for traffic? No. The land size of the metroplex actually helps with that. It's very tolerable if you ask me. There really are just some pain areas where population has far surpassed the infrastructure like I mentioned then add construction to the mix and you have a fun compounding traffic issue.
    Hatch1921 wrote: »
    Thank you Mactex :) And thank you for your service! I'm going to have to fly out... rent a car... and explore the areas here soon. When we lived in Lubbock.... we would visit DFW a couple times a year... concerts/games...etc. But.. this was between 1991-1995 LOL I'm a little "out of touch" so to speak with the area/s now. It's been so long... Carswell was open at the time and we would stay on the base. LOL

We are going to explore San Antonio as well... 4 bases... so... I could make use of the benefits.

Thanks again all for the info... it's been very helpful.

Hatch

You bet and thank you for yours. For what it is worth; San Antonio is my favorite city in Texas. Love the Riverwalk and all of the stuff to do down there. The job market is decent as well if you want to put your clearance to work. DFW is still king as far as demand for technical talent; and will be for a long time. Companies/Managers that do not value their employees here are finding out that people will leave very quickly due to the high demand. These are great times for IT peeps here.
  • soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dallas is super huge. So many companies that have HQ's down there is crazy. Traffic is crazy but that's like any huge city. I was able to drive down there in my car last weekend just fine. Im sure early morning and rush hour sucks tho. I learn early on to stay out that trafffic when in big cities. But put some filers out there and see what kind of response you get.