Study Methods for CCENT/CCNA

barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all

Just beginning on starting to study for the CCENT, I took both ICND1&2 classroom led courses earlier in my IT career a few years back now but never took the exam as my job at the time said not to bother as I didn't require the certificate ( I wish I'd ignored them). So now going down the self study route to get this done, had experience before looking after Cisco 4507R chassis core switches, 3750, 2960 etc and currently at my current location 3850 as the core switches and 2960X access switches so have a bit of background it's more the routing side I'm out of touch with as I've never really touched a router since those earlier classes.

I have the CBT nuggets vids, the Lammle complete study guide, packet tracer and GNS3 to help the thing I tend to struggle with when self studying is finding a plan that works for me. I know everyone's different and learns in different ways but would be good to get some ideas on how others tackle things.

Do you watch the videos on each section then read that part of the book and then lab it out. Or watch all videos to get an overview and go back through using the book to reinforce topics along with labbing the topics out? Before I've tried watching vids and then labbing along but things tended not to stick. I tended just to copy what they were doing in the vids and not really take the material in.

Would using the book and going through that in order and then supplement each section with the relevant videos work better in your opinions whilst taking notes?
Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/

Comments

• PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone has their own style. It takes some time and experimentation to find your own. My one?

1. Get the book and work through the chapter with a highlighter, reading as you go and highlighting anything I find that piques my interest or stands out as being something key.
    2. Get a pen, then watch the CBTNuggets/ITPro video, while cross-referencing what I have highlighted to the video itself. Make notes in the margins of the book, etc. I can provide some huge screenshots of my note-taking going overboard in this part, hehe.
    3. Once the chapter is done, run through a re-read of the chapter, using the extra notes and highlights to pick up key items.
    4. Try the virtual labs that come with my CBT/ITPro subscription and see how my knowledge matches up. If it doesn't, work through the lab notes, then reference the book once more. Use the video(s) again if needed.
    5. Repeat from step 2 as many times as needed until the chapter sticks.

That's just my way of doing it. It works for me, but I've developed it over a number of exams now and it wasn't like that at the start. :) The important thing is to try out new ideas when you're still developing how you learn these things. Once you find it works, stick to it no matter what anyone tells you is better or worse.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • GadflyGadfly Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the ICND1 last week. If you have Lammle's book email your receipt to jim@lammle.com and he'll send you a bunch of labs covering INCD1 & 2 topics. I used these and Laz Diaz's labs on Udemy to help.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My current style of training is going something like this:

1. Watch and lab along CBT Nuggets ICND1 & 2 course. Take notes when necessary.
    2. While going through the Video course I go through the book. CCNA Study Guide from Sybex in my case. Perform all chapter labs and reviews. Take notes when necessary.
    3. Use Quizlet app for flashcards on the go.
    4. I try some spaced repetition when it comes to labs and review. For example I've just completed OSPF topics for CCNA. Today I'll do a full ICND1 lab and review of topics using flashcards and notes. I'll check the blueprint and make sure to review all the topics. Then tomorrow onto EIGRP.

A big one is spend a good amount of time every day studying. Last week I had 16 hrs total, this week I expect more I literally use a stopwatch for this.. For me this is a big one as the everyday consistency really keeps me on top of things and without it progress is just so slow that skill fade starts approaching.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Read, watch videos, take notes, lab, repeat.

Do it until you understand enough to teach it!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cheers for the tips guys I'll give some of them a try. icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    barberj66 wrote: »
    Cheers for the tips guys I'll give some of them a try. icon_thumright.gif

Although I sounded bland and not very filled with detail I mean what I say. In my CCNP prep I had several lessons teaching my wife networking stuff. Even better to find a study partner who can openly fire back questions / content in tandem with you. Challenge eachother!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    My current style of training is going something like this:

1. Watch and lab along CBT Nuggets ICND1 & 2 course. Take notes when necessary.
    2. While going through the Video course I go through the book. CCNA Study Guide from Sybex in my case. Perform all chapter labs and reviews. Take notes when necessary.
    3. Use Quizlet app for flashcards on the go.
    4. I try some spaced repetition when it comes to labs and review. For example I've just completed OSPF topics for CCNA. Today I'll do a full ICND1 lab and review of topics using flashcards and notes. I'll check the blueprint and make sure to review all the topics. Then tomorrow onto EIGRP.

A big one is spend a good amount of time every day studying. Last week I had 16 hrs total, this week I expect more I literally use a stopwatch for this.. For me this is a big one as the everyday consistency really keeps me on top of things and without it progress is just so slow that skill fade starts approaching.

I Agree Completely,.....couldn't have said it bettericon_study.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always preferred to watch the video before I read the book.
    For me I was able to read faster when I understood where the topic was going. If I read first I spend a lot more time rereading unimportant stuff.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco I'm the exact opposite lol. I prefer reading the book before watching the video. I use the videos/CBTs as reinforcement of the material. If I come across something in the videos that doesn't stick or still doesn't make sense then I refer back to the book.
  • Tolg4Tolg4 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have Lammle's book but can't find anywhere what you stated about sending an email to get labs.
    Where did you get the info?
  • GadflyGadfly Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tolg4 wrote: »
    I have Lammle's book but can't find anywhere what you stated about sending an email to get labs.
    Where did you get the info?

There was a thread on Lammle's forum but it looks like he took his forum down. You should be good if you email Jim and let him know what you're looking for.
  • Tolg4Tolg4 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gadfly wrote: »
    There was a thread on Lammle's forum but it looks like he took his forum down. You should be good if you email Jim and let him know what you're looking for.

It seems so..
    I'll try, thanks.
    Although I sounded bland and not very filled with detail I mean what I say. In my CCNP prep I had several lessons teaching my wife networking stuff. Even better to find a study partner who can openly fire back questions / content in tandem with you. Challenge eachother!

That's so me. I gave my wife a lesson on DHCP and DORA a couple days ago... she's an epidemiologist.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Send a copy of your receipt (screen shots work) to jim@lammle.com.
  • bym007bym007 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It has been very hard for me to read a book. I almost immediately fall asleep.
    I have been watching Jeremy Ciaro's CBT videos.

Will watching videos and practicing on Packet Tracer prepare me enough to pass?
    At times, I feel my mind is blocked and nothing would go in icon_sad.gif
    CCNA R/S [ ], CCDA [ ], VCP6 [ ]
    BS Computers [✔], MSc Computer Networks [✔], MBA [✔]
    Reading can be very tedious, but it really is necessary. If your videos are Cioara's course, then you'll need the book even more. There are a lot of details you're going to have to learn and memorize that Cioara does not cover.

Put yourself in an environment that helps you stay more alert. Take in the book in small chunks while labbing in between sections, don't be in a rush. I think if you get more into it, you'll begin to like the material more and reading becomes easier
  • paranoidparanoid Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Reading tech books is not like reading other stuff, i often have to read the sentences twice or 3 times, having to imagine the concept(s) behind the words, re-reading it as often as needed to really understand it. As soon as you can explain it to yourself, you got the stuff (and a good feeling). Don't get impressed by the amount of stuff, even if you don't have a mental overview at the moment, when you understand what you read, the whole picture will appear with the time (the relations between the facts you read become "visible"). Important is, that you understand what you read. It's a bit like a puzzle....
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    I like the Todd Lammle book. I have that along with Ryan Beney videos https://www.youtube.com/user/rbeney89 and the CBT videos. I highlight like crazy and wrote down (Evernote) everything I highlight. I use the vids along with the topic and more often than not I g understand it better. I create daily tasks from the videos and book and do them all every day in PT.. every day!! It has helped a lot and I enjoy doing the hands on more than any other aspect of studying.
  • dammybossdammyboss Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Somebody shud assist with an updated ccna 200-125 ****
  • paranoidparanoid Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ed_003 wrote: »
    ... and do them all every day in PT.. every day!!

This is IMO an important aspect of keeping the mind working on the learned stuff, keeping the information "fresh" and "usable". The mind resp. memory is working on the principle "use it or loose it", so keeping repeating and using knowledge helps to keep it in memory. As soon you remark that you miss some detail, go back and refresh on that topic without leaving blank "links".
    ed_003 wrote: »
    ...and I enjoy doing the hands on more than any other aspect of studying

That is finally the goal what studying should lead you to: doing hands on job, using the studied theoretical knowledge to understand what your "hands" do.....and it's a good feeling knowing that you know what your hands do.....icon_smile.gif
    dammyboss wrote: »
    Somebody shud assist with an updated ccna 200-125 ****

no... get out of here.
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    i have learned some good stuff on youtube from danscourses