Line VTY in Packet Tracer

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Configuration logging into my switch from a pc through a console cable and terminal session.

#enable
#conf t
#line vty 0 15
#password ()
#login
#end
#wr
#logout
#enable
#conf

Now my question here is why does it not prompt me for a password when I logout/login or open a new terminal session from another PC???
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Configuration logging into my switch from a pc through a console cable and terminal session.

#enable
    #conf t
    #line vty 0 15
    #password ()
    #login
    #end
    #wr
    #logout
    #enable
    #conf

Now my question here is why does it not prompt me for a password when I logout/login or open a new terminal session from another PC???

Try use "login local"
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    vty are telnet lines. Console is:
    line con 0
  • barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are wanting to telnet in packet tracer you want to be using the Command Prompt not terminal. The terminal is using a console connection to the switch/router and you have only configured the telnet lines as Welly said. To use the command prompt to telnet open it up then give it the command "telnet 192.168.124.1" but replace with the IP address of the switch

If you are wanting to secure the console connection you need to configure the line con 0 then you will get prompted when using the terminal
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good catch Welly_59.

Switch#config t
    Switch(config)#line con 0
    Switch(config-line)#password cisco
    Switch(config-line)#login
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    barberj66 wrote: »
    If you are wanting to telnet in packet tracer you want to be using the Command Prompt not terminal. The terminal is using a console connection to the switch/router and you have only configured the telnet lines as Welly said. To use the command prompt to telnet open it up then give it the command "telnet 192.168.124.1" but replace with the IP address of the switch

If you are wanting to secure the console connection you need to configure the line con 0 then you will get prompted when using the terminal

^^ Yep. This nails it!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ahhhh ok got it

thanks fellas(ettes)
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.