Options

Targeting the SSCP next...

Mpbaker82Mpbaker82 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I'm new to the forum
I just passed the Sec+ a few days ago.
I've been looking for my next security certification and I think the SSCP is a good choice to advance my career in info sec.

I know the SSCP most recent version was released in 2015 which makes me think that it's about time for a refresh. Can anyone speak to how often they refresh this exam?

Also, I've been eye balling this all-in-one SSCP study guide by Darrel Gibson second edition. Can anyone vouch for the content and or offer some suggestions on other material along with reading practice exams/labs? I know Darrel authored a kick butt sec+ study guide so I tend to feel his material is solid.

My end goal is to obtain my CISSP by late 2018 so I feel by obtaining the SSCP will contribute.

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated

Michael

Comments

• Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was going to go for SSCP too after Sec+, but decided to just shoot for the CISSP exam.

Only reason I'm doing this is I read the SSCP book and it all sounded exactly like Sec+ material.

If I were you, I would just go for CISSP, unless you're doing SSCP just to see how ISC2 exams are like.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply
    I was thinking about going for the CISSP or the CASP right after the Sec+ but in my humble opinion that's like going from middle school and right into college. I feel the SSCP will do two things that will increase my chances of passing the CISSP. First it will expose me to the ISC2 exams and two it will reduce my overall study time for the CISSP.

Should I go right for the SSCP or CISSP, can you suggest some study material that's had a proven track record? I've watched videos and read many blogs on how to pass the exams but I've found that first hand experience from individuals like your self are key to the educational process.
  • Options
    I'm still in the study process actually. I too was very hesitant to start pursuing the CISSP because of the amount of material to study. A good friend of mine has the CISSP though and has told me many times that it can be done. The main things he highlighted to me are: a) it's difficulty is because of the amount of questions more than the content (it's a marathon compared to the Sec+, which is more like a 10k) b.) the content is a mile wide and an inch deep so you do not need to be an expert on everything c.) getting in the mindset of a manager will help understand the questions and finding the correct answers

I think it's worth taking the SSCP just to get a feel for ISC2's style of questions, but the CISSP also contains the advanced innovative questions which the SSCP does not. Taking the SSCP just for the cert doesn't seem like it's worth it though if someone already has Security+ simply because the material overlaps a lot.

So I guess it all really depends on your situation. Are you close to/have the required experience to obtain CISSP? If so, I would just shoot for that one. If you are early in your IT career (2 years or less), then I would probably do the SSCP.
  • Options
    nebula105nebula105 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mpbaker82 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm new to the forum
    I just passed the Sec+ a few days ago.
    I've been looking for my next security certification and I think the SSCP is a good choice to advance my career in info sec.

I know the SSCP most recent version was released in 2015 which makes me think that it's about time for a refresh. Can anyone speak to how often they refresh this exam?

Also, I've been eye balling this all-in-one SSCP study guide by Darrel Gibson second edition. Can anyone vouch for the content and or offer some suggestions on other material along with reading practice exams/labs? I know Darrel authored a kick butt sec+ study guide so I tend to feel his material is solid.

My end goal is to obtain my CISSP by late 2018 so I feel by obtaining the SSCP will contribute.

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated

Michael

My suggestion would be to just skip the SSCP entirely, as the content is somewhat the same as the Security+.

If you have the experience for the CISSP, then go for it.

If you don't have the experience for the CISSP, have a look at other certs in the meantime to broaden your knowledge, then go for the CISSP perhaps, in the middle of 2018 :)
  • Options
    I don't have the full experience to obtain the cissp but I could get the associate version and work towards obtaining the years. I was thinking of tackling another ISC2 cert or something on their chart that knocks a year off the required 5.

Has anyone here had experience with their associate program?
  • Options
    Mpbaker82 wrote: »
    I don't have the full experience to obtain the cissp but I could get the associate version and work towards obtaining the years. I was thinking of tackling another ISC2 cert or something on their chart that knocks a year off the required 5.

Has anyone here had experience with their associate program?

Having the Sec+ knocks off one of the years required for the full cert. You only get a single year experience waiver, so now you just need to focus on the remaining 4 years.