Job frustrations

SpartanNetSpartanNet Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I just found it today and thought I would share a bit of a situation I am in and possibly recieve some positive feedback. I will try not to make this too long. 2 years ago I began an internship at a school district and in the beginning I demonstrated that I was interested in pursuing a career in the IT field and that I had the motivation and knowledge to do so. At first I was making minimum wage, doing various basic tasks (uninstalling/installing printer drivers on staff machines/changing physical connections in network closets, laptop repair, etc.) at different locations. Eventually they gave me responsibility over 4 schools, basically what the actual technicians do except I was still on contract at minimum wage. During this time I acquired my A+. A little while after the first year a position opened to be one of the site technicians. I promptly applied and interviewed, and was not given the position. Instead it was given to another person who had been there on contract longer than me, but he also held a degree. So for that, it was disappointing but I understood that he was more qualified and had been there waiting for a position longer than I had. After this they recognized my determination to excel, and gave me a raise to 20$/hour and still kept me on contract so I stayed within the district. The district also pays for my certifications as long as I pass, so that is a nice perk I do not want to throw away. Later I also acquired my Net+ and an HP service qualification along with a Google Educator Level 1 certification (for google suite) and am almost finished with Security+. Last month, another position for a site tech opened up and so again I applied and interviewed. Once again, I did not get the position. It was given to someone who had once again, been there on contract longer than I had. Though this time, not to someone who was more qualified, simply he was there longer than I was. Honestly he is a 40 year old, ghetto, disrespectful, know-nothing, and I found this to be insulting and a completely ridiculous decision. I don't even think he knows what RAM stands for.

Either way my personal issues with him are irrelevant The fact is, I have to remain here and keep doing my job day after day, meeting after meeting, with these same people who have twice now rejected me a position, hoping to one day be qualified enough to perhaps make it on the network team, or maybe even get a job in networking elsewhere. I am finding this to be difficult because I do truly believe that I was the best candidate on paper, and in person, and my record supports that. Except I cannot leave because as I stated earlier, the district reimburses me for my certifications, and I also do not believe that I can find a job that will pay me as much elsewhere. I guess what I am asking for is some good advice. Maybe someone has been in a similar situation before? Anything would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If someone else has been there longer, then they have first dibs on open spots. That's just how the world works. Once you've been longest, THEN you'll have a reason to complain if they pass over you for someone else.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If someone else has been there longer, then they have first dibs on open spots. That's just how the world works. Once you've been longest, THEN you'll have a reason to complain if they pass over you for someone else.

This would be true if they base contract to hire transitions on how long someone has worked there. Fact is, many companies operate that way. Your best bet is to look elsewhere at a different district or at a different industry all together. All the certs I have have been paid by the various companies I have worked. Many companies these days pay not only for certifications and training but also reimburse you for your college degree or master's degree if you decide to go for it. Do not get trapped in the idea that they pay for your certs, a cert might cost $500 the most, but if you are hired for another position at another company for lets say $25 per hour, then you will be making the cost of your cert plus more even if you have to pay out of pocket.
    No reason to get frustrated by the policies of a company, if you dont like them, you make your own choices and decisions and you move on, is that simple.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Ah, life is unfair. Keep trying or start sending your resume somewhere else.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Honestly he is a 40 year old, ghetto, disrespectful, know-nothing"

Being 40 is bad now? Jeez!
    Yeah if they are hiring folks with more experience/seniority then not much to complain about. Plus you got a raise. Keep getting certs/experience and you'll get there
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I assume you're in a public school district in the US. Unfortunately, this is going to largely be how government works. You don't want to look like you're playing any sort of favorites, so you almost always take the longest tenured who has been waiting in line. You should take inventory and see how many more are ahead of you, and decide what your options are.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • 100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Yea it's time to look elsewhere if you cannot wait for your turn. Looks like promotions are given based on time served not quality of work if your testament is accurate. Some companies are like that...
  • SpartanNetSpartanNet Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback. They told me I am next in line so perhaps I am just taking it too seriously.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, sounds like its time to look elsewhere. At one of my first jobs, I was a level 1 tech for a while and a level 2 position opened up so I applied for it. They ended up hiring this guy from outside. The guy seemed nice. But soon found out he was almost worthless. He was working on someone's computer for one reason or another and he needed to put a new stick of RAM in it. He had the computer open but didn't know where to put it.... Someone showed him, and he tried to put it in, but he soon stopped because he was afraid of pushing the stick in too hard and breaking it. So another person had to do it. A few weeks later this guy later took down the whole network for short time as well.

They kept him on, I soon applied elsewhere to get the promotion I wanted.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would definitely be looking elsewhere. It never hurts to do so but also don't settle on the first thing that comes along just because you're frustrated with your current job. If you leave make sure you are getting the pay you deserve and the role is a good move forward towards building your career.

Worst case scenario is you have a promotion potentially on its way in time. Yet sounds like it's more than just pay that has you frustrated.

By the way I can totally relate. I was recently (basically) in your shoes. I was moved to a role (in my previous company) where I was doing the jobs of others that got paid 30-40k more than me. I ended up being the work horse of the entire department. I was given empty promise of after empty promise of a promotion I would "soon" get. Well I got tired of being used and abused and left for a 33% pay bump and a MUCH better work/life balance and better career building opportunity.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You seem a little salty there. Know in the work place there is something called seniority. This happens at my job too. Unless your lights out don't except that promotion so soon. Also to talk about someone else level of education and certs is a little cruel especially since your still at the CompTIA level.
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    My advise is to get the hell away from public primary school IT. Without a doubt it is usually one of the oddest IT setups on the planet run on a shoestring budget. These FT positions are not glamorous and really, they can't be making more than 30-40k a year (unless you live in a high COLA). There is no room for advancement usually with the last "stop" being the head office which usually takes about 20 years to get to and hobknobing with the higher ups along the way. For what? To edge out at 80k? Meanwhile you're working with some of the most outdated technology on the planet. Do you really want to spend your life reimagine dozens of antique Dell Optiplex running Windows XP a million times over? With your credentials you should be able to find something in the private sector easily.

The school may be willing to pay for certificates but would you rather them pay for a CCNA or you get paid $15k more on the outside? That sort of thing.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If someone else has been there longer, then they have first dibs on open spots. That's just how the world works.

Actually it's not how the world works, Were I work, a full time position opened up, two contractors that worked for us put in for the position. Even though the one contractor was working for the company at least two years longer than the other guy who applied, the newer guy got the job. He was smarter, more on the ball than the other guy and was the better choice.
    SpartanNet wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. They told me I am next in line so perhaps I am just taking it too seriously.

Just because your "Next" in line shouldn't mean you don't look for something else. It could be years before another opening comes up, seriously how long you willing to wait? If something better comes up elsewhere I'd go for it, instead of waiting around years for a opening that may take years or longer to materialize.
    A few weeks later this guy later took down the whole network for short time as well.

I've done that before, It's almost like a right of passage I think. icon_lol.gif
    I was moved to a role (in my previous company) where I was doing the jobs of others that got paid 30-40k more than me. I ended up being the work horse of the entire department.

Sounds like where I'm working now, While I have a great job and it's well paying, I know for a fact there other people that do my job at other sites that get paid 5 to 10k more than I do and are complete morons. Well maybe partial morons. It's mainly to do with the fact I had a temporary contract job with no benefits when I was hired and had no leverage to demand a better starting salary. Life's not fair, but if you put in the time and effort to be the best you can at your job (and educate yourself/get certs) in the end you'll be rewarded, and the lazy and/or clueless will eventually get fired or laid off, unable to obtain a comparatively paying position.
    jelevated wrote: »
    These FT positions are not glamorous and really, they can't be making more than 30-40k a year .... There is no room for advancement usually with the last "stop" being the head office which usually takes about 20 years to get to ....

He stated he was making $20 an hour, that equals 41k a year, there's no way they hiring for a full time position and expect people to take a pay cut what they were making as a contractor. These are at least 45k to 50k jobs, with decent benefits (medical, sick, vacation). It's unlikely contractors are getting benefits, yes the contracting company has to "offer" medical, but there idea of medical benefits is a $400 a month premium, with a high deductible and a lousy prescription plan.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want to clarify a few things here first yes people are going to beat you out on positions, no you will probably never know the real reason why, assuming why they were selected doesn't make it true. I know younger and older people who have extensively more knowledge than myself. Creating a bitter train of thought won't help you either.

Second, the people stating seniority is first in line, it is the most jacked up train of thought that exists in the IT market. Seniority doesn't make you qualified for a position. As a Sr Security Engineer I am one the oldest on my team, our lead is 26 years old, I am 34, and my coworker is 32. I have zero issues having a 26 year old team lead, he knows his stuff and worked his ass off to get there, and I try to adsorb as much knowledge as I can from him. If you want your organization to thrive instead of stall, you should be hiring based on qualified candidates, not seniority.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Blackout wrote: »
    I want to clarify a few things here first yes people are going to beat you out on positions, no you will probably never know the real reason why, assuming why they were selected doesn't make it true. I know younger and older people who have extensively more knowledge than myself. Creating a bitter train of thought won't help you either.

Second, the people stating seniority is first in line, it is the most jacked up train of thought that exists in the IT market. Seniority doesn't make you qualified for a position. As a Sr Security Engineer I am one the oldest on my team, our lead is 26 years old, I am 34, and my coworker is 32. I have zero issues having a 26 year old team lead, he knows his stuff and worked his ass off to get there, and I try to adsorb as much knowledge as I can from him. If you want your organization to thrive instead of stall, you should be hiring based on qualified candidates, not seniority.

Very well said!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    "Honestly he is a 40 year old, ghetto, disrespectful, know-nothing, and I found this to be insulting and a completely ridiculous decision. I don't even think he knows what RAM stands for. "

It might have something to do with this type of attitude.

It is likely the district's policy. That's how those jobs generally work. (Insert shitty gov't joke here)

Either way it sounds like you need to move on personally and professionally.
  • ivx502ivx502 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Honestly he is a 40 year old, ghetto, disrespectful, know-nothing, and I found this to be insulting and a completely ridiculous decision. I don't even think he knows what RAM stands for. "

Early on in my career one of my mentors told me that was his first impression of me. Since then several others made a similar remark. I didn't change the way I look even when I was mistaken for a person working for a moving company while relocating equipment. Work hard and increase your knowledge, skills, and networking (the people kind). As of now I make more than the people who doubted me. If you feel that your current employer is playing politics then leave interview elsewhere, but be warned don't burn a bridge unless you absolutely have to.