Singapore has a bill to license pentesters/forensic examiners

tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□

Comments

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ethical Hacker license number 007
    "Licensed to hack" :)
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see this as the industry maturing. This goes along the same lines as a barber license in New Jersey to cut hair you have to have 900 hours schooling and pass an exam. Not to put down barbers but it doesn't take 6 months to learn how to cut hair, it's a skill that can be picked with a reasonable amount of skill in under a month tops on the job. The same requirements will be applied to cyber security in the future, you have to complete X number of hours training, work under the supervision of a license holder for X number of hours, take an exam, pay yearly dues. While I agree some level of competence is required for the field, this is just a form of job protectionism, this way Joe Blow can't enter the Cyber security field right off the street, no matter how good an awesome self taught hacker he is, and he can't cut hair either, even if he's Edward Sissorhands.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This will only make it harder for those that want to be in the field. You dealing with the internet, not some local barber industry. Hackers and pentesters will just do their job/deed remotely from overseas or outside the country, just as it is being done now. You think all these hacks happening now, they happen from inside whatever country or city? No way man.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Hackers and pentesters will just do their job/deed remotely from overseas or outside the country, just as it is being done now. You think all these hacks happening now, they happen from inside whatever country or city? No way man.

If this goes through, I'm sure when companies hire Penetration Testers there first question is are you licensed to work in Singapore? As for hackers, those operate outside the law will continue to do so.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.