What's next after server+?

certnoobcertnoob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, passed server+ today with an 858/900. Yes! So happy I got it.

I did ask this in the security+ forum, hopefully this isn't too much overlap, but wanted to get your opinions on what to try for next. I was thinking security+, do you think there is a lot of material shared between server+ and security+? Hoping to jump right in to studying for my next cert while the material is fresh in my mind.

Otherwise, I'm thinking MCSA or at least MCP - server 2016, but I've heard those are tough. Not to say I can't do it but i'd like to get a few certs under my belt first to bolster confidence and add to the resume. Maybe I've heard wrong and MCSA isn't all that difficult.

Currently a desktop tech, would like to get into a sysadmin role.

Your thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you wish to be system admin go after the MCSA server. It's not crazy tuff but it is obtainable. I would NOT start with 2016 go back to 2012. Once you have 2012 there is a single exam that will give you 2016 cert. There are still systems out there running 2003 and 2008, be familar with prior technologies. Also besides the A+,Net+, sec+ the CompTIA certs have ZERO value! Don't waste time on anything else CompTIA as their will not be a ROI. Also other certs such as VMware ,Red Hat are popular and CCNA will help build a solid networking foundation. These are all mid level certs and will take anywhere from 3 months to a year to complete. At that point you can specialize and obtain an advance level cert such as the MCSE, CCNP/CCIE VCAP or RHSE. There are so many other paths, certs and technologies out there but this is the general flow.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Not a lot of overlap between Security+ and Server+. I would recommend going down the MS certs though if your interest lies in being a sysadmin. That'll also give you more hands on that you can use in a job. I found most of the CompTIAs to be good for foundational stuff but not-so-great for hands on labbing.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The MCSA wasn't terribly difficult, but I found that Microsoft bases their exams on how they can market their latest and greatest products. If you want to learn Server 2016, just use Technet and watch Youtube videos then practice building a server environment in a virtual lab.
  • SpanSpan Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Labs! Reading\teory is one thing but once you build it yourself all the pieces fall into place.
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suggest Linux+ because Linux ain't going anywhere.

You may find there are more opportunities for Linux admins. While you are at it, also do virtualization. After that, do devops. I suggest Ansible.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jdancer wrote: »
    I suggest Linux+ because Linux ain't going anywhere.

You may find there are more opportunities for Linux admins. While you are at it, also do virtualization. After that, do devops. I suggest Ansible.
    If someone wants to go down the Linux path, I'd recommend getting a Red Hat cert over the Linux+. It's more practical and more marketable.