Some Guidance with Certifications

UnitedAs1UnitedAs1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

New around here so go easy on me :)

So I'm looking at getting into a new career, I want to do something in the IT industry but not sure exactly what specifically I want to do. I only have one Qualification which was done at college in 2008, I think it's like a Level 2 BTEC IT Essentials course done by Cisco, Pretty sure it's super basic and won't help me much.

So I have been round researching what path I should take as in certifications. The one that kept on popping up was the Comptia A+ certifications. After doing some research on it, I found that people were saying it's pretty worthless, I'm not sure how true this is but it has put me off.

Now I don't want to run into the same problem as the above again so I wanted to ask some people, Whats the best option for a beginner in IT in the sense of Qualifications?

I live in the UK if that has anything to do with it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

Comments

• BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're truly a beginner, you're probably going to have to start from the bottom at a helpdesk role. The A+ will actually help you in that. You should try to get a helpdesk gig, but having your A+ will probably help solidify it. If not, just skip a+ and do network+ and sec+. Those two will give you a solid foundation, but nothing beats experience.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The A+ is worthless once you get past the beginner level of your career, but being a beginner trying to break into the industry, A+ is the way to go. That will help you land an entry level position, and then you work your way up from there.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed with what's being said. Start from the bottom with A+, Net+, Sec+ and build up. Also, practice everything you learn with hands on exercises. That will help reinforce the concepts more.
  • NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    Agreed with what's being said. Start from the bottom with A+, Net+, Sec+ and build up. Also, practice everything you learn with hands on exercises. That will help reinforce the concepts more.

Agreed.