How to resign from a federal position?

manchildmanchild Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone have any guidance in resigning from a GS position? Currently, I'm in a GS-11 position and my status is fulltime - indefinite. I still receive all the benefits and leave as a full-time permanent employee. That's puts me in tenure group 3, I believe.

I recently accepted an offer in the private sector and yesterday I received my start date.

My concern is, if I put my 2-week notice in today, will they tell me to leave today? Especially since I'm not a full-time permanent employee. Who should I contact first? HR? My supervisor? Also, how do I make sure I get paid for my unused annual leave? or am I even entitled to it as a fulltime - indefinite employee?

Comments

• nole07nole07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure how it works in the government sector just yet. I have a job now in government, but just started a few months ago. Before that i had only worked in private sector jobs. The last place i worked at, if they liked you well enough and you had something to contribute your last two weeks, you could work it out. But, there were many that were shown the door right after they handed in the notice.

First thing to do is talk to your supervisor and give him the notice. He should inform HR about it.
  • GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    You should discuss with HR about what is going to be done about your annual leave. Since your indefinite I'm not sure if at all it would be different for you than a permanent employee, but I would also suggest the Federal soup forums as they have experts who helped me when I was indefinite and became perm.
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job! Having a conversation with HR prior to submitting official notice would be best. They should be able to provide your options.
  • manchildmanchild Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nole07 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how it works in the government sector just yet. I have a job now in government, but just started a few months ago. Before that i had only worked in private sector jobs. The last place i worked at, if they liked you well enough and you had something to contribute your last two weeks, you could work it out. But, there were many that were shown the door right after they handed in the notice.

First thing to do is talk to your supervisor and give him the notice. He should inform HR about it.

I've worked in the private sector before as well. And everywhere I've worked the process was just as you described. My main concern is, with this federal position there are certain things I would like to take care of first, in the event I'm walked out the door as soon as I put in my notice.
    Gorby
    You should discuss with HR about what is going to be done about your annual leave. Since your indefinite I'm not sure if at all it would be different for you than a permanent employee, but I would also suggest the Federal soup forums as they have experts who helped me when I was indefinite and became perm.

I just checked out those forums and there's a wealth of information there. Thanks.
    CryptoQue
    Congrats on the new job! Having a conversation with HR prior to submitting official notice would be best. They should be able to provide your options.

Thanks CryptoQue. After reading some of the threads over on Federal Soup this seems like the best option. I'll talk to HR first and go from there.
  • BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a federal employee as well, GS 14 here. You should always start with your supervisor. It's not a big deal. Trust me, the government is so afraid of anything that could possibly result in legal issues so they will not tell you to leave that day. Just give your two weeks like any other job.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    manchild wrote: »
    My concern is, if I put my 2-week notice in today, will they tell me to leave today? Especially since I'm not a full-time permanent employee. Who should I contact first?
    Why would they show you the door sooner? (Unless you are a real dirt-bag.) Let your supervisor know for sure, it should all go from that point. The HR people should have your closing business such as unused leave, etc accounted for by the time your last day rolls around. I don't think this would be anything different from a regular company, except maybe it might take a little longer to process everything, or not...
  • manchildmanchild Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Quick update:

I put in my 2-week notice yesterday morning and everything went smoothly. I talked to my team first, then immediately sat down with my supervisor and told him about my resignation. He tried to talk me out of it, but understood why it was time for me to make a move. I feel pretty silly now for even worrying about it in the first place. Thanks again to everyone for your input. It definitely helped.
  • BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    manchild wrote: »
    Quick update:

I put in my 2-week notice yesterday morning and everything went smoothly. I talked to my team first, then immediately sat down with my supervisor and told him about my resignation. He tried to talk me out of it, but understood why it was time for me to make a move. I feel pretty silly now for even worrying about it in the first place. Thanks again to everyone for your input. It definitely helped.

Nice! Good luck in the future!