FA ports L2?

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly.

Doing some labs on my own in Packet Tracer today playing with the different ports and connection types and configuring different subnets and using console and telnet sessions to do so (to mirror the test)....

I am able to go router to router with a serial connection with the ability to assign a subnet to each interface but I am not able to assign an IP address using the FastEthernet ports...

Is this because the FA ports are L2 technology and the serial ports are for routing or L3??
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    You can assign an IP to all interfaces on a router.

What error are you getting?
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No error it just doesn't have an IP command in Fa 0/2/0
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Something wrong there then. What device is it you are trying to do this on?
  • Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Some routers have layer 2 switch ports for the LAN. You then use SVIs for the IPs and VLAN assignment for the ports.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My guess is you're using a switchport module like an HWIC.
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your Packet Tracer router has a NME/switch module then it will only allow layer 2 functionality. Companies sometimes use that method for small site locations. It ultimately eliminates having a switch. Newer version switch modules do support layer 3, but I don't think Packet Tracer has those add-ons.
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what router is it you are using
    It (shamefully) took me ages to work out that you had to physically click the off button on the device before you could add any modules...lol.
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Magic Johnson that's comes with the territory of learning in a simulated environment lol. I'm sure you're not the only one that had that issue in Packet Tracer
    CryptoQue wrote: »
    Magic Johnson that's comes with the territory of learning in a simulated environment lol. I'm sure you're not the only one that had that issue in Packet Tracer

Even more shamefully I had to Google it.

"I'll just quickly throw up a couple routers in PT to mess around with EIGRP"
    *1hr later*
    REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Only use it because it's quicker to get a very, very simple LAB set up over GNS3.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    My guess is you're using a switchport module like an HWIC.

this

I don't think there is a router in the newest version of PT with L3 FA.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!