Ideas for Developing a Pre/Post Change Health Check Script

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I am trying to develop a SecureCRT based change script that will deploy a bunch of show commands and in the same process save the config to a file so I have a complete snapshot of a pre/post of the network device before and after changes are made. The idea is to have that snapshot to look for unforseen / unexpected config or output changes like spiked CPU, memory, whatever and have two side-by-side files to compare from.

I already have the script working (in a sense). I at least figured out how to edit the lines I want as far as what commands I want entered. However I want the script to also with a click of a button (the same click of a button) to receive all the output to a file and save it locally to my PC (for now). I can also do this function outside of the script manually but would love to be able to do it all as single function.

Also, can you guys think of any other additional commands that would be good pre/post output to gather? I am trying to keep it primary centered for Cisco CLI for now (which would be IOS only), we don't have any Nexus, or CATOS on the network.

Here is what I have so far:
(also I am trying to keep the commands agnostic to the network environment, if the command doesn't have any output to retrieve that is fine. The main focus is a general "health check")

"term length 0"
"show run"
"show ip interface brief"
"show interface description"
"show processes cpu sorted"
"show processes cpu history"
"show processes memory"
"show env all"
"show env stack"
"show inventory"
"show module"
"show boot"
"show bootvar"
"dir all-filesystems"
"show version"
"show switch detail"
"show power inline"
"show interface status"
"show etherchannel summary"
"show ip cef summary"
"show ip route summary"
"show ip eigrp interfaces"
"show ip eigrp neighbors"
"show ip eigrp topology summary"
"show ip ospf interface"
"show ip ospf neighbor brief"
"show ip ospf neighbors detail"
"show ip bgp summary"
"show ip bgp neighbors"
"show ip protocols"
"show ip protocols sum"
"show hsrp brief"
"show standby brief"
"show vrrp brief"
"show vlans"
"show vlans brief"
"show vtp status"
"show crypto isakmp sa"
"show crypto ip sec sa"
"show crypto engine brief"
"show crypto session brief"
"show crypto session summary"
"show crypto isakmp sa"
"show tacacs"
"show snmp"
"show port-security"
"show log"
"clear logging"
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BTW...

I did find the user manual: (which I will be reading though): https://vandyke.com/support/tips/scripting/index.html

However if there are any ideas in the short run I'm open ears :)
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    You can have an EEM saving the outputs to a file,and use the archive function to put a file anywhere via tftp.
    for comparison, i believe it would be better to use a linux machine, so you can run diffs, and etc