Taking For508 On Demand

sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
Just got my order placed for For508 On Demand. I was supposed to go to the DFIR summit in Austin again this year but approvals took too long. I have never done a SANS class on demand before. Will be interesting to see how this stacks up against the classroom setting.

Comments

• sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    I am starting the course work next week but I already had my first bit of fun. I never received a tracking number for my books. After a few days I finally called in and was told that they would be shipped in 3-5 business days (which was a problem because I had blocked out time from work and wouldn't have had my books yet). I called back the next day to see if I could upgrade to expedited shipping. The representative had to call me back with details. They were supposed to call back in 15 minutes but it took a few hours (due to some system problems). When they called back they told me that my books had in fact been shipped but the systems problems prevented them from updating the portal with my tracking data. They emailed me the tracking number and I got my books the next day.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I took the class 2 weeks and have been studying (albeit slower than I should).

Let's post our progress here in this thread?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Sounds good to me.
    Finishing up the day 2 activities. I had some background in memory analysis so it wasn't so bad but I am going to have to spend some time learning more of the volatility plugins.

One admin note. I found that listening at 1.5 normal speed works pretty well. I can still pick up on everything but the lectures move a bit quicker.
    I'm in day 2 as well...haven't done the lab but I did them during the class....so far so good. Lot's to remember about Windows!

So one item of note about taking a class on demand. The Challenge lab is really time consuming. You basically have to do the work of a team of 3-4 people by yourself. You do get a handout with the "answers". I finished up the class but I am still going through the last host in the challenge lab. I am pretty sure I missed something in one of the other hosts so I am probably going to have to go over the whole mess again.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    FOR508 (and FOR40icon_cool.gif has lots ... and LOTS of minutia that dive into Windows. It's good stuff. I took 408 OnDemand a month before I took 508 at SANS Security West. What a terrible idea. It was like being at a buffet and unable to leave, yet the plates kept coming and you were required to keep your mouth open.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
    docrice wrote: »
    FOR508 (and FOR40icon_cool.gif has lots ... and LOTS of minutia that dive into Windows. It's good stuff. I took 408 OnDemand a month before I took 508 at SANS Security West. What a terrible idea. It was like being at a buffet and unable to leave, yet the plates kept coming and you were required to keep your mouth open.
    I took the two classes one year apart. I am really appreciating the ability to revisit the videos in the on demand system.
    Welp, I find myself putting way too much in my index again. I had to pump the brakes and go back and ensure I wasn't overdoing things.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    sb97 wrote: »
    Welp, I find myself putting way too much in my index again. I had to pump the brakes and go back and ensure I wasn't overdoing things.

I've never subscribed to the thought that you can put too much in an index. An index that's done right should eliminate the need to even touch the books by putting a short but detailed description for each line item.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I've never subscribed to the thought that you can put too much in an index. An index that's done right should eliminate the need to even touch the books by putting a short but detailed description for each line item.
    I do the same. What I meant was that I was indexing terms that I was already very familiar with. The one thing I don't want to do is clutter the index up with too many entries.
    Noobie questions but in my dashboard it says that my OnDemand expires on 5th-October (I took the class training end of May)

Does this mean my deadline to take the exam is 5th October? Just want to know how much time I got left :/

UnixGuy wrote: »
    Noobie questions but in my dashboard it says that my OnDemand expires on 5th-October (I took the class training end of May)

Does this mean my deadline to take the exam is 5th October? Just want to know how much time I got left :/
    My on demand expiration and certification attempt expiration attempts are the same. You can check your test by going to the SANS account dashboard and following the certification attempts link
    Thanks! I didn't notice the cert attempt link! yes it's the same...relieved I have more time

After several false starts, I finally finished my ridiculously long index. I need to review some of the day 5 stuff but my planned schedule is to
    take a practice test this weekend
    schedule exam based on results
    fix index issues and run through day 6 challenge again
    print improved index and other notes to set up hard copy notebook
    take practice test 2 simulating proctor conditions
    Go to the real test!
    Good on you! you're doing a lot better than me. I'm indexing, still in book 3/4 ! exam scheduled on last possible date (which is 4 weeks from today)

I'll try and finishing my index this week and next week and hopefully get to the labs!!

The course is great but I just don't like studying from books/slides etc...I prefer more lab-based approach, but the content is great nonetheless!

I did my first practice and passed in the low 80s. It took me 2 hours and 40 minutes to finish. As expected, I struggled with the NTFS file system analysis from the day 5 activities.
    I cant believe I forgot to post this but I did pass. Feels great.

Unfortunately, this means I now have to study for my CISSP (requirement for work).
    congrats! My exam is very soon and im freaking out! might have to extend 40 more days...lots of life crap happened thats stopping me from studying...

UnixGuy wrote: »
    congrats! My exam is very soon and im freaking out! might have to extend 40 more days...lots of life crap happened thats stopping me from studying...
    Good luck!