Cybersecurity books Humble Bundle

bootboot Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Humble book bundle: Cybersecurity presented by Wiley

There's only one directly tied to a certification, but there's several books that are extremely highly regarded in their respective security field.
Tier 1:
Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Finding and Exploiting Security Flaws, 2nd Edition
Practical Reverse Engineering: x86, x64, ARM, Windows Kernel, Reversing Tools, and Obfuscation
Threat Modeling: Designing for Security

Tier 2:
Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems, 2nd Edition
The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes, 2nd Edition
Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications
The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
The Art of Memory Forensics: Detecting Malware and Threats in Windows, Linux, and Mac Memory

Tier 3:
Malware Analyst's Cookbook and DVD: Tools and Techniques for Fighting Malicious Code
Unauthorised Access: Physical Penetration Testing For IT Security Teams
Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World, 15th Anniversary Edition
CEH v9: Certified Ethical Hacker Version 9 Study Guide
Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms and Source Code in C, 20th Anniversary Edition

Comments

• trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great stuff!!!
    Thanks
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is interesting.

Do you get access to CD/DVD content when you buy the books?, for example the DVD from "Malware Analyst's Cookbook and DVD: Tools and Techniques for Fighting Malicious Code"
  • SmilymarcoSmilymarco Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, you do. I still need to download them, but there is a manual on how to get them.
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was not able to download yesterday. Seems is overloaded with requests ;)
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I might have to get over my fear (not really, more OCD) of not having a physical book in front of me. Perhaps time to buy a kindle, hehe.

How am I supposed to write notes in the margins now!? ;)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    love that you can switch to a local charity :) thanks for sharing
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What a deal. Purchased!
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Please convince me why humble bundle is worth it. I currently have Safari Online (Free for life due to being a Vet) and I'm trying to justify why this would be better. I currently don't have an ebook reader.

Edit: I checked and all the books in the humble bundle are on Safari Online.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
    Please convince me why humble bundle is worth it. I currently have Safari Online (Free for life due to being a Vet) and I'm trying to justify why this would be better. I currently don't have an ebook reader.

A large chunk of the humble bundle funds can go to the charity of your choice?
    jcundiff wrote: »
    A large chunk of the humble bundle funds can go to the charity of your choice?

Yeah, that could be my reason and I do appreciate what the EFF tries to do and advocate.
    Reading
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□

Books on Safari have no page numbers. This is enough of a reason for me to avoid Safari Books except as a last resort only. Also, and I could be wrong here but I believe that the free membership is not for veterans, just active duty, retired, and DoD workers.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for this! Just purchased.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
    Yeah, that could be my reason and I do appreciate what the EFF tries to do and advocate.

:) I changed the charity on my order to our local homeless shelter. If they have a charity based in Morehead, KY, I am sure you will have one or more local charities :) and agree with you on EFF
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Ah, thanks!
    Ive gotten games before from them.
    This is perfect, can read them during dead hours at work.
    meh
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    I learned of this deal from the S.N PodCast (Steve Gibson) and have purchased, but thanks to 'boot' for posting the link, all the same.

Has anyone taken advantage of this deal? If so, I'd like some help with a topic from the "applied cryptography protocols algorithms and source code in c" book, as I can't get my head around the Vigenère polyalphabetic cipher, in Chapter 1. I've been tying all day to understand it, but there's something that my poor old head can't seem to grasp.

Anyone else reading this, please?
    No longer an active member
  • NerkleNerkle Member Posts: 20 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I never knew that humble bundle sold books too! I bought the pack so fast. Now to catch up on reading them icon_study.gif Tbh, I'm lost on that cipher too, rob42.
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    Nerkle wrote: »
    ...Tbh, I'm lost on that cipher too, rob42.

It's not just me then...

I've got the "toy algorithm" to work just fine, having reproduced the C code and can encrypt/decrypt a text file. But I don't understand the explanation for "How to break it".

I've tried with pen and paper and I've written a routine in C, which seems to get the key length, but from there on, the explanation confuses me.

Rather than hijack this thread further, if I manage to crack it, I'll post a new thread, but don't hold your breath!
    No longer an active member
    I might have to invest into a eReader, cause reading a book on my computer or laptop does not seem easy or fun on the eyes.
    Reading