McAfee EPO

TriggeriousTriggerious Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
Mostly seeing if anybody out there has any resources for learning ePO. I've and am taking the McAfee courseware through the partner program, but didn't know if any of you all had any more information that you could share or tips/tricks on learning the tool. I thought I was going into a job where I would be learning it with some help, but as it turns out, I'm supposed to learn it and be the expert icon_rolleyes.gif

Additionally,

If anybody out there has a solid knowledge of ePO, is there any additional skills that you recommend that would help (such as sql query language, etc)?

Comments

• BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can download the admin guide from McAfee support. Other than that you really just need to dig in. I'm currently rolling out a few McAfee products being managed by ePO. There is a lot to it but the guides, KBBs, and forums are about all you need.
  • BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It shouldn't be that bad. Configure it with AD via LDAP and start deploying. What tasks do you need to do? It should auto update your .dat files for you you just need to setup what alerts you want. We're running application control as well in observe mode.
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Funny you ask. I actually work for them. I support ePO and a couple of point products. Feel free to PM me or post questions on this post.
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Mostly seeing if anybody out there has any resources for learning ePO. I've and am taking the McAfee courseware through the partner program, but didn't know if any of you all had any more information that you could share or tips/tricks on learning the tool. I thought I was going into a job where I would be learning it with some help, but as it turns out, I'm supposed to learn it and be the expert icon_rolleyes.gif

Additionally,

If anybody out there has a solid knowledge of ePO, is there any additional skills that you recommend that would help (such as sql query language, etc)?

FedVTE is going to be your best resource if you are or will be somehow affiliated with the government sector. The McAfee/HBSS titles in the govt. sector all have to be certified, via FedVTe or classroom training for higher level certification. The FedVTE has a visual classroom environment and a visual presentation that enables anyone the ability to understand the product.
    I worked at a location in Virginia, where we managed and oversaw all of the agents installed globally, like around the world. We were the last stop for McAfee/HBSS related issues. The last stop, not the first stop. So, we had several ePO servers. I was not the McAFee Help Desk either.
    Truth be told, those McAfee forums/web pages are semi-useful. The HBSS Admin and Advanced course is 64hrs combined. 64hrs hours to information that's going to be straight to the point with the capabilities of the product. I have been at work and needed help and the McAFee pages were no use to me. I had to ask someone. It is a whole lot of searches and wishing the document you stumble upon is the updated version. That is even if you find it right away. Which you might. Granted, not taking away from the McAfee forums and help pages but it would only be an option if you didn't have access to other resources. It is really two options for (recognized training) the virtual (govt) training and paid classroom training. The McAFee pages are a good way to get your feet wet.

The HBSS training is no longer on FedVTE. Sorry I just checked. Since I typed all of that above I am leaving it icon_lol.gif. The training is on Cyber Defense Training Cloud (CDTC). You need a CAC. In the FedVTe, you could have and still can use a username/password. The new site has eliminated the option.

I have had very lucrative offer letters for HBSS/McAfee roles that I turned down, hesitantly. Besides for overseas jobs, the best one to date has come at the hands of HBSS. It is money to be made, take it as a learning curve that'll benefit you later. Not sure of the supply and demand in Kentucky......but in other big name IT based states you can make great money. Put HBSS in indeed. See for yourself. I won't tell you which states have the greatest demand because I am sure you can gauge that yourself. You just have to really know what you are doing or have a great support system. If you are looking to get into the Cyber Security Field, if you are not already this is a great chance as well. I will say it opened a lot of doors in my personal life and career. I will certainly say that.

Disclaimer: I did this job about 5 years ago. It is a possibility some of the information I stated is old and semi-outdated. Just like how the training is no longer on FedVTE. I have moved on to greener pastures. I looked at HBSS certificates that I have and passed training I received. Maybe the training is now 150hrs now I do not know. This information is correct based upon my past job experience and my past training and certifications. It is a McAfee (official /real deal) group on LinkedIn. But, you have to be connected with like two people already in the group. It is like you have to know someone to get in. I see that my past higher level supervisors are inside of the group. I won't name the group but I know someone in it who has some say-so in the HBSS/McAfee environment globally.
  • TriggeriousTriggerious Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I've gotten the McAfee EndPoint Solutions cert, but, I think it's going to take hands-on experience. I'm going into an environment that's had several previous ePO admins, so going through their older tasks and learning/picking up where they left off is the biggest challenge.
  • MrTwoTallMrTwoTall Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am busy prepping to write this exam early September 2017.