What do you do with your Certification Certificate?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well I kind of thought about this recently and I am sure this has been a topic of previous discussion if I recall but can be a fun one at the least...

I just moved into a new house and lost my office icon_sad.gif Previously I had my certs framed and hung on the wall in my office. Now I am tossing the idea around of bringing them to work and hanging them on my cube wall. I know a cert is a cert... blah blah... but I have always been very proud of my certification accomplishments. They have been a huge driving force to my success in IT and having a reminder of what keeps me motivated is good to have near by.

So with that said...

Would it be too tacky to bring them to work and hang them on my cube wall? My intent is not to show them off but to have them there for my own daily reminders of motivation. I would probably take them out of the frames and just hang the raw certificate. Also, I just started a new job back in April, so I don't want to be "that guy" in the office either when I have yet to prove myself and am still the FNG.

Thoughts?
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My boss puts everyone's certifications in the main meeting room, each in a custom frame. He wants people who come in to realise what the company has and what we can provide to people.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    display it in your email signature.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Phalanx wrote: »
    My boss puts everyone's certifications in the main meeting room, each in a custom frame. He wants people who come in to realise what the company has and what we can provide to people.

That's pretty cool!

display it in your email signature.

I've heard / believe that can be a risky road. I wouldn't do that unless I was required to, worked for Cisco, or if I worked for a consulting company that I could gain leverage with potential clients having that information known and out there.

Like I said I am not trying to show things off here.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend getting your certs cropped down to some iron-on patches for your polo shirts, that would be pretty cool. LOL!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think it would be tacky to hang them on your wall. Personally I've never cared much to hang or frame any of certs or my degree. I just use them to get jobs or promotions. I've seen too many people with certain degrees or certs that are incompetent at their job to make me think they stand for a lot. To me they mean you knew X amount of knowledge at one point in time, whether that person still has that knowledge and can put it to good use is another thing.

But really, if you like them and they motivate you, who cares what other people think of them. Just cause I don't care to put them up doesn't mean I think it is bad to do it. Nothing wrong with being proud of what you put a lot of time and effort into getting. There will always those judgmental people out there. Life is too short to waste a second of thought on them though.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    well, then cards for your wallet and also pdfs saved on your computer if a job requires proof.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm thinking about hanging them up but only the good ones. Once I get the CISSP, CISA, eCPPT and CAPM... I'll hang them up and put them on my cards.

Shoot, hanging them up in a place for the public to see is awesome! More companies need to do this.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, my old position, all engineers certs were hung in the front waiting area. Whenever customers would come into the business they would see them (not that they knew wth they were). It definitely showed how much knowledge our staff possessed. It was a solid IT crew for sure.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The good ones hang up in my office or elsewhere. The little ones are in a file folder in my desk. No sense in putting up a CCENT when the CCNA: Security is there. They aren't there for others to see and appreciate. They are there for me to look at for motivation for studying for the next one. Those are some great accomplishments, and I achieved some very difficult goals on some of them. I did that. :) I'm proud of myself.

I'd put them in my email sig if they were relevant and I needed to show a customer my credentials. I have no need for that now. I was hired because of my skills, everyone I email either knows me and my background or has no clue what those letters even mean.

Of course, my wife tells people all the time that I'm a "certified ethical hacker". :/
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    I would recommend getting your certs cropped down to some iron-on patches for your polo shirts, that would be pretty cool. LOL!
    Or like a tour jacket the Navy guys used to have.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Well I kind of thought about this recently and I am sure this has been a topic of previous discussion if I recall but can be a fun one at the least...

I just moved into a new house and lost my office icon_sad.gif Previously I had my certs framed and hung on the wall in my office. Now I am tossing the idea around of bringing them to work and hanging them on my cube wall. I know a cert is a cert... blah blah... but I have always been very proud of my certification accomplishments. They have been a huge driving force to my success in IT and having a reminder of what keeps me motivated is good to have near by.

So with that said...

Would it be too tacky to bring them to work and hang them on my cube wall? My intent is not to show them off but to have them there for my own daily reminders of motivation. I would probably take them out of the frames and just hang the raw certificate. Also, I just started a new job back in April, so I don't want to be "that guy" in the office either when I have yet to prove myself and am still the FNG.

Thoughts?

I wipe my @$$ with them...
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Would it be too tacky to bring them to work and hang them on my cube wall?

Thoughts?

That's where I have mine, on the wall of my cube.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I toss them. I don't really care about displaying them. Heck, my master's degree is still buried under something and not hung up.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bought some frames for my certificates few years back but never bothered to use them.

I keep my certificates in a ring binder, this way I know where they are when I want to look at them :D
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm pretty sure there is a company that makes custom toilet paper rolls with whatever image you want on it. I'm almost bought some with my college degree on it. I think I would have gotten more satisfaction wiñing my butt with that toilet paper than actually getting the degree itself.