A+ start, but then where?

Chef_ukChef_uk Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, new here :)

My employer is sending me on an A+ Accelerated course in a couple of months as they think I will benefit from having some official training with some paperwork behind me. I'm not going to say no! I quickly checked on here and saw the examcram books get mentioned. I checked our library and found them, so I jumped straight into the first test just to see where I actually am against where I think I am. I scored 53/80. I had hoped it would be higher to be honest.

Anyway. On top of that, I am also about to start a a Level 3 Diploma ITQ Apprenticeship which again is being paid for and will take a year to complete.

Finally, they want me to complete the Net+ exam after the above has been completed, but from there, where should I go? As far as I can tell, the CompTIA stuff is just the basic and really isn't going to get me into a decent paid job, which is what I am hoping to do. I'm currently a Webmaster and whilst the pay is relatively low, I don't want to be changing jobs and starting from the bottom again as I have a family to support, so any advice/guidance on a training path would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chef_uk wrote: »
    Hey all, new here :)

My employer is sending me on an A+ Accelerated course in a couple of months as they think I will benefit from having some official training with some paperwork behind me. I'm not going to say no! I quickly checked on here and saw the examcram books get mentioned. I checked our library and found them, so I jumped straight into the first test just to see where I actually am against where I think I am. I scored 53/80. I had hoped it would be higher to be honest.

Anyway. On top of that, I am also about to start a a Level 3 Diploma ITQ Apprenticeship which again is being paid for and will take a year to complete.

Finally, they want me to complete the Net+ exam after the above has been completed, but from there, where should I go? As far as I can tell, the CompTIA stuff is just the basic and really isn't going to get me into a decent paid job, which is what I am hoping to do. I'm currently a Webmaster and whilst the pay is relatively low, I don't want to be changing jobs and starting from the bottom again as I have a family to support, so any advice/guidance on a training path would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Assuming you are in the United States, the answer you seek is to leave the United States. There are plenty of computer operator positions overseas that pay big bucks....tax free. For most of them, you can bring your family along and the children go to US school with other US children. Plus you get to play International Tourist on the company dime. There is no down side. Your current career is stuck in neutral if you insist on staying in the United States.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Chef_uk wrote: »
    CompTIA stuff is just the basic and really isn't going to get me into a decent paid job, which is what I am hoping to do.

When I was first starting out, A+ helped me land some good paying contracts and eventually a full time gig. As an entry level cert, I think it's pretty valuable and doesn't cost much compared to other education options.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    How many times did you job hop mate?

I've worked in application support for 6 months, 1 year on service desk and now 1.5 year contracting in IT Support.

I'm currently looking out for more technical jobs but I don't want it to look bad on my CV.