Unable to access DNS with personal computer

EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone had an issue where you can't access DNS with the auto settings in Windows? I had to manually Google's DNS server (only one I knew off the top of my head) into my IP settings to use DNS services. It started intermittently last week, and crapped out entirely today to the point that I had to do the manual input.

Comments

• PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this happening with other devices on the network? I'd be looking at the DHCP server for starters.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nope, my Playstation has been running like a champ all week. I don't have a DHCP server, I just connect straight into the ISP.
    So your router doesn't hand out internal IPs in your network? How do you allocate and manage your internal network settings?
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    I suppose it does when something else connects to it, but I use a static IP on my laptop. I tried changing that earlier, that didn't have any effect.
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Open CMD as Admin: netsh winsock reset

Restart computer, success!

Also your all-in-one switch/firewall/router combo from ISP is likely acting as a DHCP server. You can usually log into those things with 192.168.1.1 from browser of choice.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've heard of IPv6 causing issues and supposedly it's coded to be preferred over IPv4.
    thomas_ wrote: »
    I've heard of IPv6 causing issues and supposedly it's coded to be preferred over IPv4.

And so it should be! Unless you're running ancient devices, there's no reason not to have this enabled and preferred.
    So I just pulled google's dns out of my settings, and went back to auto, and everything is working fine. icon_rolleyes.gif I hate when things fix themselves and I don't have an answer as to what caused it.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Phalanx wrote: »
    And so it should be! Unless you're running ancient devices, there's no reason not to have this enabled and preferred.
    Meh. It's just one more thing to manage really. Unless you need it for a particular application, I don't see the point of having it enabled. And in theory, it widens your attack surface. I personally disable it everywhere on my home network. Once every site has IPv6 support, then I'll go to it and disable IPv4, but that will be a while.
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    out of curiosity do you run a VPN ever on your PC ? what OS are you running is it win10?