Continue on my current path?

MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
I decided my goal is to eventually become a security engineer and then security architect. I've been in IT for about 20 years now and have held most common positions (Helpdesk, Sr Desktop Support, Sr Server Admin, Sr Network Engineer). In my current company, I've held the last 3 titles. I'm currently working as network engineer (security included).

As a Sr server admin, I handled quite a bit. I was the main guy exchange, active directory (identity access, group policies), vmware (server/desktop virtualization) BC/DR, so I feel I got a lot of good experience in those years.  Now, I'm a network engineer.

I'm currently am studying for CCNP Security, but at times, I struggle if this is what I should be doing. In my current role, I'm working with only Palo Alto firewalls. I don't want with most of the topics covered in the blueprint currently, but they are things I'd like to learn. Do I need the cert, idk, but I figured if I'm studying the topics, it probably doesn't hurt. It also isn't high on the indeed hit list though.

CISSP is still on my radar, just because in my area, it's on a lot of job requirements.

It's not just network security that interests me. I have a big interest in cloud security as well.

Do you folks think I'm heading down the right path, or should I switch anything up?

Comments

• BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCSP would do you well, but yeah CCNP Sec would be a good cert for a security architect.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CISSP will be a big deal for you, I think. You have a great variety in your background, and probably just need some security certs and ability to talk security and you'll be well on your way.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses.