WGU-Transfer Credits

GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
Good Day, Considering WGU has a pass or fail grading scheme, that I for one have never heard of. Has anyone been able to transfer to other recognized institutions after completing a degree from WGU? The website says a pass is equivalent to a B. So, for institutions that have a minimal GPA requirement for entry, how do these "competency units" transfer, if they transfer at all to other universities.

Thanks,

Addition

I am on Step 4 for applying for WGU and they start blowing my phone up hahahahahah. This is to funny. Do they have people waiting for you enter your phone number and click Next, for them to dial your number. I needed a little laugh. My day was starting to drain. I am not even done applying yet. I am on demographic data. This is starting to be an interesting experience all ready, and I have not fully applied. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif.

Comments

• PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had all of my general ed classes transfer. It seems that a C and above will transfer over. Also if you have any certs those will cancel classes too.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • shoeyshoey Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Howdy!

Having gone to multiple traditional and online schools, it's honestly a safe bet to assume that many WGU credits will not transfer (or you will only receive partial credit for them).

Others may of had better luck but here is what I experienced:

1. Transfer of earned credits between non-traditional schools was reasonable.
    2. Transfer of credits earned from an online school to a traditional school was far more difficult and really only useful for more generic courses. Some of my IT specific courses replaced entry-level computer courses.
    3. Transfer of credits earned from a traditional school to a non-traditional school was great.
    4. When transferring credits from one school to another (whether traditional or not), the transcript only showed "TC" (i.e. transfer credit), and no grade. Essentially the transfer credits were proof of the universities acceptance and completion of program requirements; but had no impact on my overall GPA.
    "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
    If you decide to go to a non-traditional school, make sure to keep a copy of course syllabuses. These can be used to help make your case if a school is unsure of whether or not to accept it as a transfer credit. I recently completed the WGU masters program and HIGHLY recommend that school. It's by far the most efficient non-traditional (and traditional) school I've gone to.

Also - Pass/Fail grading is used by most colleges in some form. They may not have an entire program with only Pass/Fail grading, but it's because many are focused on being able to provide a GPA.
    "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    I had all of my general ed classes transfer. It seems that a C and above will transfer over. Also if you have any certs those will cancel classes too.

Only General Education.......Interesting. I am looking in the future, as to after WGU. I am not trying to finish WGU in record time. I am more concerned about transferring to other institutions after WGU. I am looking to not just get a degree and settle, it is more get a degree and transfer for another degree from a different institution.
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    I am looking to not just get a degree and settle, it is more get a degree and transfer for another degree from a different institution.

Wait... are you looking to transfer credits or whether or not another school will be accepting of your diploma (so you can get your masters, ph.d, jd, etc.)?
    shoey wrote: »
    Howdy!

Having gone to multiple traditional and online schools, it's honestly a safe bet to assume that many WGU credits will not transfer (or you will only receive partial credit for them).

Others may of had better luck but here is what I experienced:

1. Transfer of earned credits between non-traditional schools was reasonable.
    2. Transfer of credits earned from an online school to a traditional school was far more difficult and really only useful for more generic courses. Some of my IT specific courses replaced entry-level computer courses.
    3. Transfer of credits earned from a traditional school to a non-traditional school was great.
    4. When transferring credits from one school to another (whether traditional or not), the transcript only showed "TC" (i.e. transfer credit), and no grade. Essentially the transfer credits were proof of the universities acceptance and completion of program requirements; but had no impact on my overall GPA.

I went to more than one (big name) university before I received the degree at my last (big name) university. All of the grades I obtained from previous universities showed the grade letter and were calculated into my GPA on my transcript. I actually just looked at my transcript a few hours ago. The only thing that shows as transfer credit is the military time. I would have a problem if my credits did not transfer, at least most of them.

I know people look for advice on colleges and 20 people post suggesting WGU. It is like a fly on poo with the response. I am looking at the pros and cons. Beyond popular belief, I do see some cons. Not saying any other university does not have cons though.
    Wait... are you looking to transfer (Degree) w/ credits or whether or not another school will be accepting of your diploma (so you can get your masters, ph.d, jd, etc.)?

See highlighted
    That's interesting. All my transfers (I think I've gone to 7 different schools now) look like this.
    See highlighted

Are you looking to go back to traditional or non-traditional?
    Are you looking to go back to traditional or non-traditional?

I have actually applied to multiple big names schools over the past 24 hrs such as Auburn, Virginia State, and Norfolk State. It is probably one or two more I am missing. I am considering applying back to George Mason, but they denied me before so I am hesitant. Name means a lot to me honestly. But, in the big political world WGU isn't a name anyone knows of. I guess I am more so looking at WGU only for the piece of paper
    I have actually applied to multiple big names schools over the past 24 hrs such as Auburn, Virginia State, and Norfolk State.

Virginia state?
    Virginia state?

I am a Virginia resident, so you get in-state tuition. icon_thumright.gif
    Name means a lot to me honestly. But, in the big political world WGU isn't a name anyone knows of. I guess I am more so looking at WGU only for the piece of paper

Honestly, if names mean so much to you, it's unlike WGU will suit your needs and/or expectations. Unfortunately people still give more credence to traditional school. Are you in NOVA?

Also - who cares if GMU denied you before. They put me on a wait list the first time I applied. If it's an option, might as well try again.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you are wanting to complete your Bachelors at WGU and then move to a different school for your Masters? If thats the case WGU is accredited by the same accrediting body that accredits University of Washington, University of Oregon, Gonzaga University, University of Utah, University of Idaho, and Brigham Young University and many others. Due to this, most colleges should except the WGU Bachelors degree for entry into their Master's programs
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    Honestly, if names mean so much to you, it's unlike WGU will suit your needs and/or expectations. Unfortunately people still give more credence to traditional school. Are you in NOVA?

Also - who cares if GMU denied you before. They put me on a wait list the first time I applied. If it's an option, might as well try again.

My jobs pays for education. They actually paid for my last semester of college. They have X amount of dollars every year for school. It is even more for graduate level degrees. They have a great benefits package. So, I am looking for a school that will enable me to continue education in a positive direction. That direction means transferring to another institution if I see fit. I am not knocking WGU but whatever school I do go to would have to enable me the ability to transfer my credits. A GPA can be the difference between an acceptance and denial in some universities. If WGU does not calculate a GPA or the credits do not transfer, that would be an issue. If I am with my company for 5 years and they offer to pay 10K a year (for example) in schooling, which equates to 50K why would I go to a school just to take classes over again if I transfer.... That is not even including if I pay for some of the schooling out of pocket.

I was just asking questions. I am kinda lead to believe that they credits will not transfer, if I understood the posts correctly.
    jcundiff wrote: »
    you are wanting to complete your Bachelors at WGU and then move to a different school for your Masters? If thats the case WGU is accredited by the same accrediting body that accredits University of Washington, University of Oregon, Gonzaga University, University of Utah, University of Idaho, and Brigham Young University and many others. Due to this, most colleges should except the WGU Bachelors degree for entry into their Master's programs

Sir,

I have a 4 year degree already. I was looking for a graduate level degree. But, I do not want to stop at a graduate level degree. I like the convenience and flexibility of WGU. But, I am stickler for my GPA and know some schools are sticklers for the GPA as well. WGU would be more used as a avenue of approach to obtain a graduate degree. Although, I want to continue to purse my education after the fact.

I understand the accreditation, the concern was more towards transfer credits and GPA calculation for transfers to other institutions after WGU.
    jcundiff wrote: »
    WGU is accredited by the same accrediting body that accredits University of Washington, University of Oregon, Gonzaga University, University of Utah, University of Idaho, and Brigham Young University and many others. Due to this, most colleges should except the WGU Bachelors degree for entry into their Master's programs

Just because the accrediting body certifying WGU is the same as that of many high-level schools/universities, it does NOT mean a degree from WGU will be nearly as useful or regarded in a competitive program. If you had two identical candidates and one had a degree from WGU while the other had a degree from Harvard; just based on the schools I know who the panel would likely select
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A GPA can be the difference between an acceptance and denial in some universities. If WGU does not calculate a GPA or the credits do not transfer, that would be an issue.

Lack of GPA doesn't seem to be an issue for these schools: WGU Alumni Community - Educational Paths
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Lack of GPA doesn't seem to be an issue for these schools: WGU Alumni Community - Educational Paths

Sorry, I was on LinkedIn. From my 5 minute LinkedIn search I found 1 person who obtained a doctoral degree or any other degree after WGU. I can not base the majority of students or even the school from my 5 minute search though.

The information you provided is great iBrokeIT. Thanks for sharing. I am not sure how a school that only has pass or fail can have such a high acceptance rate. When, I have been denied to universities such as George Mason because of my GPA. I know because they tell you in the detailed letter why they denied you. I am not saying I believe it, nor am I saying I do not believe it.

Northern Virginia Community College has a guaranteed admission agreement with MAJOR universities. Such as James Madison, George Mason, Virginia Tech, Etc.

Guaranteed Admission Agreements :: Northern Virginia Community College

If WGU had a guaranteed admissions policy to those (major) universities I would be more inclined to believe the link. Since they don't, you are somewhat forced to believe them if you see fit. The question is, what if I finish my graduate degree and get denied admissions to a university in your list?? Technically, since a pass is a B, if you finish a degree with WGU like others... if they got in you should get in to right? Like guaranteed. We graduated with the same degree and same "Pass/Fail/GPA/calculation", so in theory if I get a graduate degree from WGU I am guaranteed admission to any school on the list. If not, they denied me because my high school GPA was low icon_rolleyes.gif. It makes you think. I am not 100% convinced.

I guess all these people who attended all these big universities do not have LinkedIn accounts either. Or maybe I need to spend more than 5 minutes on LinkedIn. One of the two. Or maybe the information is bogus. I do not know yet.

I seen Harvard on your list. Going from WGU to Harvard made me giggle. icon_scratch.gif. I am trying to find that guy/gal on LinkedIn right now!

In order to get into the Doctoral Program at Harvard you must submit GMAT or GRE scores. We can assume for 5 minutes the GPA does not matter to get into Harvard. So, someone with a GMAT/GRE score went to WGU or someone took the test after WGU. I am trying to figure out if Harvard even has an online Doctoral Program. I am on the site and it's nothing sticking out saying anything about it being online. So, that would mean that someone went to WGU online and then went to a Harvard campus to finish the doctoral program. Someone went to a cheap university like WGU then went to an expensive doctoral program at Harvard. Makes you say hmmm. Maybe they received financial aid. These are all things to make you go hmmm. Not doubting the list of schools, all of this is entirely possible. Anything is possible. We are in the land of the free and home of the brave. It just makes you go hmm. That is all I am saying. I am going to bed.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Honestly, the amount of people who pursue a doctorate after attending a school like WGU is probably very small. I think the majority of WGU students are working/busy adults who are trying to finish school because for whatever reason they were unable to do so in a traditional setting when they were younger.

Based on your posts, a traditional B&M probably suits you better and you won't have transcripts tainted by an online school at all.
    Based on your posts, a traditional B&M probably suits you better and you won't have transcripts tainted by an online school at all.

unless the Kragle gets you first...
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    unless the Kragle gets you first...
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sir,

I have a 4 year degree already. I was looking for a graduate level degree. But, I do not want to stop at a graduate level degree. I like the convenience and flexibility of WGU. But, I am stickler for my GPA and know some schools are sticklers for the GPA as well. WGU would be more used as a avenue of approach to obtain a graduate degree. Although, I want to continue to purse my education after the fact.

I understand the accreditation, the concern was more towards transfer credits and GPA calculation for transfers to other institutions after WGU.

Since you didnt specify that information to begin with, I had no way of knowing what level degree you were looking into... I don't believe that doing a portion of your Master's at WGU in the hopes to transfer out to finish at a bigger name school would work well. As someone else already stated, a traditional brick and mortar school is your best bet
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I seen Harvard on your list. Going from WGU to Harvard made me giggle. icon_scratch.gif. I am trying to find that guy/gal on LinkedIn right now!

In order to get into the Doctoral Program at Harvard you must submit GMAT or GRE scores. We can assume for 5 minutes the GPA does not matter to get into Harvard. So, someone with a GMAT/GRE score went to WGU or someone took the test after WGU. I am trying to figure out if Harvard even has an online Doctoral Program. I am on the site and it's nothing sticking out saying anything about it being online. So, that would mean that someone went to WGU online and then went to a Harvard campus to finish the doctoral program. Someone went to a cheap university like WGU then went to an expensive doctoral program at Harvard. Makes you say hmmm. Maybe they received financial aid. These are all things to make you go hmmm. Not doubting the list of schools, all of this is entirely possible. Anything is possible. We are in the land of the free and home of the brave. It just makes you go hmm. That is all I am saying. I am going to bed.

It's not "my list", it is WGU's. I only linked that page to show you that people with a degree from WGU were recognized and admitted into other institutions. The other circumstances regarding their admission are obviously not posted so you really need to be careful about the conclusions you draw. Maybe they are a legacy of that institution, maybe they had a perfect GMAT or GRU, maybe their their dad is the dean... who knows.

I also think you need to reread page again and pay attention to this part:
    * Indicates universities where WGU graduates have reported admission for a doctorate degree.

I don't see Harvard with a * next to it so I am not sure how you drew that conclusion.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone likes to draw the Harvard comparison too. Almost every school in the world is looked at differently than Harvard. But somehow it's brought up again and again about how "If I have a candidate with a WGU degree and one from Harvard" context. They're totally different worlds, and so are most other schools. If it was X other school that I've barely heard of and WGU is more valid, and even then it barely matters in most workplaces.

The fact still remains that once in the working world, it's typically not life changing. There are studies on this, the person makes a lot more difference long term than the school does.