Cannot ping virtual NIC on VM from another VM

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have two virtual machines running in VirtualBox on Mac OS X. The IP address of the interface on VM1 is static and set to 192.168.1.200. But I cannot ping VM1 from VM2.

How can I get VM2 to successfully ping VM1? Both are using virtual NICs that are connected to the Internal Network (Settings -> Network -> Adapter 2 -> Attached to Internal Network).
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    It may seem like an obvious think, but you've not said: Have you set the VM2 machine to get an IP Address via DHCP from 192.168.1.200 on the default gateway? If you have, then try assigning a static IP Address to the VM2 machine instead of using DHCP, then try the ping again, just to test that it's not a 'network issue'.

What about Firewalls? Is either/both machines blocking UDP 67 and/or 68?
    No longer an active member
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    You need an IP on the second VM before you can ping anything
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm doing a hands-on exercise in the Server+ All-in-One Exam Guide, and instead of using VMware, I was using VirtualBox. Tomorrow, I'll switch to a Windows PC and use VMware instead. Maybe I will get it working...
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was able to get an IP address from VM1 for VM2 when I was doing the exercise using VMWare. I don't know why it wouldn't work using VirtualBox...

• rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    Sorry if I seem to patronize, but I had to ask the obvious questions...

Coincidentally, I'm going to be using V.Box to do some testing, today. If I come-up with the same issue and then manage to suss it out, I'll post back.
    No longer an active member
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bjpeter wrote: »
    I was able to get an IP address from VM1 for VM2 when I was doing the exercise using VMWare. I don't know why it wouldn't work using VirtualBox...

You are not providing critical information.

Provide the IP address of VM1
    Provide the IP address of VM2

Saying you can't ping VM1 from VM2 and only providing one IP means nothing in order to troubleshoot.
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't you also have to setup your interfaces on both VM's to be the same internal network? So if VM 1 is Intnet0 VM number 2 cannot be Intnet1 without placing them on seprete internal networks.
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Enable ICMP on the Server in the firewall, if your using Server 2012 as your test VMs.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • bootboot Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. Network interfaces of both VMs must be set to "internal network" and given the same network name.
    2. VirtualBox itself does not provide DHCP or any other network service on internal networks by default. Both VMs must have static IP addresses, or one must provide DHCP service to other computers in the internal network. Start simple, and confirm that it works with static addresses.
    3. You can try changing the Promiscuous Mode setting on the virtual network interfaces.
    4. Use a different address range in your virtual internal network than in your physical network the host is connected to. This isn't strictly required, but there is no reason not to do it. If you are learning you are very likely to confuse yourself, and you may also confuse VirtualBox. Like above, make things simple, check that the simple things work, then add the more complex parts to the problem.