Should I go straight for my CCNP after CCNA?

labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm torn between getting my CCNA then getting a specialty CCNA-SEC cert, or going straight for my CCNP and then specializing. It seems I see more job postings asking for the CCNP rather than a specialized CCNA cert. Who has faced this same dilemma? Thanks guys!

Comments

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suggest CCNP just because you have already created the foundation to take your R/S knowledge further.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So to get my full CCNP R&S, it's three exams right? Route, Switch, Troubleshoot?
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Yes that's correct. What's your current job role btw?
    Currently, I'm a Desktop Support Analyst. I'm going to take my CCNA in about 30 days or so, and I'm hoping to put my Cisco skills to use at the job I'm at now because I know I'll forget them if I'm not constantly using them. If I'm unable to put them to use, I'll look for a Network Analyst position. Plus, I plan on going straight for another cert while the information is fresh. I think going for CCNP will be better long term so that's the route I think I'll go.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you can't go wrong either way. The good thing about getting your CCNA Security first, is when you take your first NP level exam, it will renew all of your associate certifications. Also, it will broaden your skillset
    Yea, I understand that part, I just figured it would make more sense to get my Security cert at the CCNP level. I want to focus on Security so either way will be a step in the right direction. I just figured going straight for CCNP would level me up that much quicker than getting another Associate level specialization cert. Do I have to get all 3 NP's(Route, Switch, Tshoot) before I can get a specialty(NP-Security) cert?
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can take exams in any order that you wish. Although you won't get the official certifications until all prereqs are met

CCNP Security = CCNA Security + 4 CCNP Security exams (SIMOS/SENSS/SISAS/SITCS)

CCNP R&S = CCNA + ROUTE/Switch/TSHOOT
    Ok, well in that case I might actually do CCNA-Sec and continue with CCNP R&S. I'm sure those 3 NP R&S certs will give you a wealth of solid knowledge to build on.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the NP Security, that material is really in-depth. Basically you have to work with it every day in order to pass the exams. However, I know folks that have passed the NP:Security without ever touching AAA or ISE. I guess it just depends on how you learn and how well you can pick up the topics.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    For the NP Security, that material is really in-depth. Basically you have to work with it every day in order to pass the exams. However, I know folks that have passed the NP:Security without ever touching AAA or ISE. I guess it just depends on how you learn and how well you can pick up the topics.

I think I'll go for CCNA-Sec to get a dose of Cisco's security material and decide if I want to do R&S or Sec at the NP level. Thanks for the input.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    How into networks are you @ your job?
    Like routing/switching/etc. ?
    If you are trying to land something more network focus, may want to go for ccna sec before getting into ccnp.

Study for ccna sec in the meantime and drop your boss a line, tell them you would like to help with switches and such.
    meh
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have the drive and passion for it I would recommend doing it. Once you lose the motivation very rarely does someone get it back.

Certs for most people have a very small window of motivation to get them done. For one reason or another....

It's like the Masters Degree etc, while I agree getting real world experience before engaging into a masters level, it's great to knock it out while you have the motivation...
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Motivation, money and time is key. If you have it, Git'R Done. There will be entry-level jobs you will be passed over for if you have a CCNP. If you want one, simply don't say you have it.