CCNA: Spectacular Failure

bym007bym007 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey,

Just came from exam center after failing spectacularly at my 200-125 exam. I scored 610.
I need to regroup and start again.

I am hoping to rebook exam date for 19th Sep.
CCNA R/S [ ], CCDA [ ], VCP6 [ ]
BS Computers [✔], MSc Computer Networks [✔], MBA [✔]

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Glad you are dusting yourself off. Good luck!! icon_smile.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The important take away here is that you have a landscape of the exam and know what to expect now. Study up on your weak points and attack it again!

Good luck!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now you have a better understanding of what to look for the next time. Good luck!
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get back at it! Remember, the 3 R's: Readiness, Recoup-oration, and Conditioning! Good luck on your retake!
  • bym007bym007 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all folks for backing me up.

One thing I noticed is that, I cant seem to read books. I just watch CBT Nuggets and try to retain it by making notes.
    Could that be killing me ?
  • Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Do you have any experience working in networking? If not, it's pretty impressive you got 60% without reading a book lol.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have any experience working in networking? If not, it's pretty impressive you got 60% without reading a book lol.

Dang no kidding!

As for book knowledge retention it's definitely a trained process. Obviously traditional schooling kind of teaches you this but obtaining difficult certs is a whole new level of this.

I've mentioned it before in other threads but my system includes: (and feel free to use your own)

1.) Read a book completely through first with no major stops and highlight important topics. (Get the 30,000ft view)
    2.) Read the book as a second pass but this time stopping on your highlighted areas to really STUDY the book.
    3.) Take notes on those highlighted areas. Parse them into your own words but don't skip on important details.
    4.) Review notes and make edits / additions.
    5.) Anytime the book gives you an example of an operation of some topic / protocol LAB IT! Do it yourself!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I struggle reading/learning from a book too, i zone out super fast when reading , if it is a single webpage of info where i know for example the top of the page is description , middle is how to correct problem/configure something , bottom of page is explanation of what we just did etc i can focus , but looking at a book with hundreds of pages daunts me.

I watch video courses i take notes of what they are saying and things they show. This so far has worked for me (fingers crossed) but i'm sure there will come a point when i have to study from a book for more detail.

One thing i would say is never just watch one series , always have a few sources for material as each instructor has their own method of teaching and some find some things important while others find other things more important.
    I too am watching the CBT nuggets (icnd1) but i also watched Raymond Lacoste (cisco) and also Learnkey Jason Manibog all are very different in their methods.
    Also at the end of each section they have a round up of what was covered and then maybe 20-35 questions + labs to make sure you're retaining it.(most of it)

I'm on my second viewing now of the vids now as first time i took notes which doubles the length of a single video as i'm pausing and taking notes. This time i will watch it straight through only stopping at stuff i missed first time around or am still struggling with.

Yeah I am certainly not new to the industry (did my BS in Computers back in 2001, seems like a long time back) and been employed ever since in various capacities. More recently, I work as a Solutions Designer with a regional ICT Systems Integrator, based in Saudi.

So I did open a few books, but its been a while now.
    Excellent! Seems like you have a regime going for yourself. Now I need to find my mojo!
    Dang no kidding!

As for book knowledge retention it's definitely a trained process. Obviously traditional schooling kind of teaches you this but obtaining difficult certs is a whole new level of this.

I've mentioned it before in other threads but my system includes: (and feel free to use your own)

1.) Read a book completely through first with no major stops and highlight important topics. (Get the 30,000ft view)
    2.) Read the book as a second pass but this time stopping on your highlighted areas to really STUDY the book.
    3.) Take notes on those highlighted areas. Parse them into your own words but don't skip on important details.
    4.) Review notes and make edits / additions.
    5.) Anytime the book gives you an example of an operation of some topic / protocol LAB IT! Do it yourself!
    I suppose this is something I am looking to accomplish.
    I struggle reading/learning from a book too, i zone out super fast when reading , if it is a single webpage of info where i know for example the top of the page is description , middle is how to correct problem/configure something , bottom of page is explanation of what we just did etc i can focus , but looking at a book with hundreds of pages daunts me.

I watch video courses i take notes of what they are saying and things they show. This so far has worked for me (fingers crossed) but i'm sure there will come a point when i have to study from a book for more detail.

One thing i would say is never just watch one series , always have a few sources for material as each instructor has their own method of teaching and some find some things important while others find other things more important.
    I too am watching the CBT nuggets (icnd1) but i also watched Raymond Lacoste (cisco) and also Learnkey Jason Manibog all are very different in their methods.
    Also at the end of each section they have a round up of what was covered and then maybe 20-35 questions + labs to make sure you're retaining it.(most of it)

I'm on my second viewing now of the vids now as first time i took notes which doubles the length of a single video as i'm pausing and taking notes. This time i will watch it straight through only stopping at stuff i missed first time around or am still struggling with.
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like to watch a video course first. It's usually more engaging, so it's easier to become familiar with the topics and get that initial exposure. But, I always follow that up with at least 1 book, possibly another video course, and labbing.

I'll try to take solid notes during my first viewing, and then build on it when reading or watching a second course. That way I can focus more on the material I'm watching/reading, and less time trying to copy it down simultaneously. I'll just sort of fill in the gaps. I've never found a video course that was thorough enough to prepare me 100% for an exam. There are lots of details Cisco likes to throw at you that you just won't get without opening a book or config guide.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]