Is a Management Information Systems degree worthless in regards to getting into I.T?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
I know basic stuff, I didnt just wake up this morning and say I want work in it... I do plan on getting certifications as well, what would be the best cert path along with the degree to get into Networking?
The MIS program is a CompTia authorized academy from a regionally accreditted school.. What can I do to avoid being unemployed after college?

The courses are attached

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's not worthless, it'll matter less after your first job too. Basically it's a business degree with some basic IT type classes. Longer term it'll check the degree box and business skills are always helpful in the workplace. For certs, I'd aim for the CCNA if you want to get into networking. You might not find a Cisco shop but you should gain solid networking basics working through the material.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Might not be as beneficial for a helpdesk role, but later on in your career that business knowledge will be very useful especially if you want to get into a leadership or project management position.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Looks like a well rounded degree to me.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CIS315, CIS325, and CIS395 might align with existing certs that you can study the semester before or during the same semester and knock those out at the same time as the course. Email or call the dean to verify.

As for the degree's value, do some keyword searches for realistic dream job titles on your favorite online job board that you might like to see yourself doing in 3 or 4 years. Form your own opinion on what kind of degrees are asked for/required in the job posting, required GPA, etc.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's a great degree to get into "IT." The question is where do you want to go in the profession? As a hiring manager I always want to answer two questions with a potential hiree. 1. How can this person help me? 2. Can this person fit into our organizational culture?
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any management degree is good. That degree will allow you to do regular IT and get into management. But anything dealing with programming throw it out the window.
  • SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
    I did research. The MIS degree had the highest unemployment rate in 2015, higher than the national average. ��
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't consider the courses "basic". They have some very substantial concepts that are often unused but should be embraced. Lot's of the courses are geared towards the Systems Analyst type of role, so you will be schooled on the SDLC, entity modeling, flow charts, project management, and relational databases. While I am not in a development role, I am using these skills more often over a decade after graduating. They really help put the icing on the cake. I think the issue is that so few folks use these skills, even though they are useful for Systems/Networking types, that few people give them notice. While they do not speak to technical depth, using these tools in projects sure steps up the perceptions that others have of you.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro