Upgrade MCDST to MCSA

PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
I found out today that I have the ability to transfer my old "MCDST for Windows XP" into a Server 2012 MCSA with one exam! My only concern is that the one exam covers all of the other 3 exams for Server 2012. There's study guides for it, but I'm unsure if I should go for it or not.

I did intend to start on Server 2016 in about 4-5 months, but do you think it's worth going for this MCDST to MCSA upgrade? The exam is this one:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/exam-70-417.aspx

I'm unsure if I should take it, as this would be my very first Windows Server exam other than the MTA I'm taking tomorrow. :/
Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert

Comments

• djrabesdjrabes Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you feel comfortable with it, go for it. I'm surprised you can update XP to Server 2012 though!

It means you'll have to do 1 less exam to get your MCSA: Server 2016 as well, you'll get two MCSAs so that'll build your skills and scope of Server Administration.

Good luck with your MTA exam! Hope you pass icon_cool.gif
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
    Studying: Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
    Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought it was weird too, but here it is:

sZzi7EQ.png

and then just take this exam:

AdICzIs.png

I'm torn between taking it or not. :/
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
  • djrabesdjrabes Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say go for it. There's no major rush but it seems like a good way to get some Server qualifications on the board.
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
    Studying: Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
    Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+
    Do you think I should purchase the 70-417 guide or go for all 3 of the full exam study guides? I do have an ITPro.tv and CBT Nuggets account also. I'm leaning to the single book as it would focus things a little more, and I can use the videos to cover the other books/exams. Thoughts?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oddly enough, it also covers people who taken the 70-686 exam. So instead of three exams you can take two (if you don't already have the 686 completed) and then the Upgrade exam. Interesting and tempting, actually.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Whats weird is MCDST is like how to tshoot windows xp and IE6.

I have no idea how this is even allowed. The 417 exam is absolutely rough and covers all 3 exams.

Unless youve worked as a systems admin for a while, I would take the three exams as they are instead of failing this over and over.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Whats weird is MCDST is like how to tshoot windows xp and IE6.

I have no idea how this is even allowed. The 417 exam is absolutely rough and covers all 3 exams.

Unless youve worked as a systems admin for a while, I would take the three exams as they are instead of failing this over and over.

Yeah, I've worked as a systems administrator for some time with 2003/2008/2012 so I feel comfortable around servers. I'm doing my MTA for Server Admin tomorrow, so after that we'll see. :)
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stick with CBT nuggets for this. The virtual labs are great! look at my created threads for links and reviews.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree