Options

Linux+ - Which Distro(s)

stevelsdstevelsd Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Techs!
I have a plural sight subscription. The Linux+ course might be a tad out dated by a year or so but I am not sure. The recommendation distros for the course are CentOS 7 "and" CentOS 6.5 as well as Debian 8.

Any thoughts on should i learn all 3 for the studies or ? (Debian now has version 9 out as well)

Thanks big time
Steve

Comments

• Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The course really focuses on Red Hat based, and Debian based. So long as you have that covered, you should be good.

For 103, the differences really boil down to systemd vs SysV, and the difference in packages (rpm vs deb) and the associated utilities.

Otherwise, it is pretty standard across the board. I start studying for 104 as soon as 103 is done, so if I see a big difference there, I will update.

And be prepared. The material assumes vi usage. /shudder
  • Options
    thanks for the reply!
    I have installed CentOS 7 a number of times with minimal installation and the installed desktop. Too easy.
    I am having a heck of a time trying to get a CentOS 6.5 installed from the very start. (Might be to new of a computer\video driver)

Debian 9 is getting installed right now with GUI.

Have you taken the first test yet then. It sounds like you are right around the corner for it?

Again thanks
    Steve
  • Options
    stevelsd wrote: »
    thanks for the reply!
    I have installed CentOS 7 a number of times with minimal installation and the installed desktop. Too easy.
    I am having a heck of a time trying to get a CentOS 6.5 installed from the very start. (Might be to new of a computer\video driver)

Debian 9 is getting installed right now with GUI.

Have you taken the first test yet then. It sounds like you are right around the corner for it?

Again thanks
    Steve

I take the test tomorrow morning.

On a related note, you should go back and reinstall your instances using command line only. At the very least, change the runlevel to command line only. At least for the first test, I can tell you there is nothing GUI oriented in any way. Several people have suggested going command line only, and doing everything you do from the command line. Having gone through the material both on uCertify and Linux Academy, I have to agree that is a good idea. Everything from the install to daily use should be from the command line.
  • Options
    I am taking your suggestion and doing only CLI.
    I cannot get CentOS 6.5 to get past even the initial first screen for installation. I use Windows 2012 Hyper-V. I also have a machine that has Virtual box so I might try that for the 6.5.

Hope to hear you passed!!!!!
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    Make sure the disk for the CentOS machine is IDE and not SAS in Hyper-V
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    LXO-103 passed about three minutes ago!
  • Options
    Whooohooo! Big Congrats!
  • Options
    "Make sure the disk for the CentOS machine is IDE and not SAS in Hyper-V"

Good point! I checked and I am good!
    For the Centos 6.5 I ended up installing on VirtualBox. Had some issues but got it all up and running.
    Now I am have some interesting issues with Debian 9. will figure out and then start the studies.

These distros are different in a few more ways than I would have thought. :)
  • Options
    Jibtech,
    How can I ask a few questions regarding your tech history and such without sending all the questions in an open forum and bore everyone?
  • Options
    Once you get a few more posts, you can send and receive PMs. That would be the best method.

For that matter, you are welcome to email or call me, but I am not putting either on a public forum. Wayyyy too many scrapers out there.

That said, my WGU thread has some of my background, and you are welcome to ask whatever you like. If I don't want to answer, I have no problem saying so. /grin

That thread is here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/126437-my-version-wgu-story.html