Did you ever have to leave IT?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

So here is the story:

I worked at a MSP from 2014- 2016 supporting their manage services AV, backup, patching ect. I stopped working here in 2016. They let me go because they gave me new job duties, but they never fully explained these jobs duties. Also, they didn’t give me training nor tools to complete these new job duties.

After I was left go from the MSP I started working on refresh project for a bank. The project ended early due to lack of work. The project lasted 6 months. The project manager had a job for me after the project ended, but I turned it down because it only focused on fielding calls and there was no tech support. ( I thought , hey I can find something better than this). I learned that having a job is better than NOT having a job.
I keep searching for IT jobs (for the last 4-5 months), and to be honest I get a lot interviews, but no luck. I had three interviews this week alone. I seem to have a problem closing the deal.
So it’s been almost 5 months without work, ans it’s been rough. Things that stop me from getting a job are:

Things I struggle with:
I live in rural area-most of the IT jobs are an hour or more away. I need to convince the recruiter or employer that yes I’m okay traveling that far.

I don’t have any Active Directory or Office 365 work experience. A lot of help desk jobs want this experience.

I get interviews, but I can’t seem to close the deal.

Questions:

How did you get back into IT again at a later date?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man, I left IT for 5 mos in 2015 due to being in a high stress IT position and it was a much needed recharge. After that I studied for Sec+ and after I passed that I got on with an ISP for about 6mos, then I decided to pursue a business outside of IT. Of course, that did not pan out so I was off work for another 4 mos...took a long vacay and started applying for positions again, then I was able to get a contracting gig for a local hospital & have been there for almost a year.

I would say if you don't have any AD experience, see if you can download a trial version of MS Server & install it on Virtualbox - install AD, config DNS, DHCP, join your laptop/desktops to the domain, create shared folders, printers, logon scripts, create some user accounts on server, and practice login in as those users, etc...I am sure you can find some YouTube videos on how to do this.

As far as Office 365, it's Office, not a whole lot changes from them except new features & it looks different.

Take some online classes on edx.org or udemy.com if you want some more geek knowledge of AD and/or Office. Here is also some free books you can get.

Cheers & HI5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I get a lot interviews, but no luck. I had three interviews this week alone. I seem to have a problem closing the deal.

Getting interviews is probably the hardest part imo! At least you know where you need to work on. If you didn't get a job after an interview you need to sit down, go over each question, and rethink how you could've answered it better. Maybe rethink what you are wearing to the interviews... Something. If you are getting a lot of interviews there is no reason you shouldn't be getting a job soon. It means there are jobs out there and they are looking for someone like you. (unless you're lying on the resume about your knowledge)

Seriously people don't just bring everyone off the street in for interviews. Go over questions over and over and over. Practicing answering them out loud.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you followed up after hearing you were not selected for those jobs to inquire why you were not chosen?

When I first started applying to IT jobs and would get those responses saying they were not proceeding with hiring me, I would politely and professionally respond asking if there was any specific experience I was lacking, etc. Always good to hear constructive feedback.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you considered moving to a new area or closer to the city? Many people find this hard at first but when you take that first step good things can happen
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed with the advice to use Virtualbox.
    Google for Microsoft Evaluation Center' you can get 90 time-trails for server 2012 (free).

Lab it up!
    Google/Torrent/Youtube for some some mcsa training.

Things I struggle with:
    I live in rural area-most of the IT jobs are an hour or more away. I need to convince the recruiter or employer that yes I’m okay traveling that far.

Easy Solution: Lie.
    If your resume says your location is "small town"; change it to "big city".

Fin
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If at the end of an interview you feel it's a place you would like to work, then tell them that you would be very excited to work there should they select you for the position. You don't want them leaving the interview thinking that you're wishy washy about the position. I also like to ask if they have any concerns about hiring me for that position. This gives you an opportunity to address those issues head on and if you don't get the job it might give you some sort of indication as to the reason why you didn't get it.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shochan wrote: »
    As far as Office 365, it's Office, not a whole lot changes from them except new features & it looks different.

While Office 365 does include a piece of software you download and install on the computer, this isn't likely what they're asking for when they want Office 365 experience. The local office suite is a very small portion of the Office 365 ecosystem.

And @ the OP, if you worked at an MSP for a couple years, maybe you should work more on describing your experience there on your resume and being able to sell that in an interview. I would expect that you had a hand in a lot of different things at some point, even if it wasn't in your primary job duties. Don't lie, but if you ever did it, sell the fact that you know about it. And as others have said here, build a few VMs and work on some of the holes in your knowledge while you look.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shochan wrote: »
    Man, I left IT for 5 mos in 2015 due to being in a high stress IT position and it was a much needed recharge. After that I studied for Sec+ and after I passed that I got on with an ISP for about 6mos, then I decided to pursue a business outside of IT. Of course, that did not pan out so I was off work for another 4 mos...took a long vacay and started applying for positions again, then I was able to get a contracting gig for a local hospital & have been there for almost a year.

I would say if you don't have any AD experience, see if you can download a trial version of MS Server & install it on Virtualbox - install AD, config DNS, DHCP, join your laptop/desktops to the domain, create shared folders, printers, logon scripts, create some user accounts on server, and practice login in as those users, etc...I am sure you can find some YouTube videos on how to do this.

Take some online classes on edx.org or udemy.com if you want some more geek knowledge of AD and/or Office. Here is also some free books you can get.

Cheers & HI5!

Seeing that you left IT and came back gives me hope for myself if I have to leave.

Thank you for the link to the books.

I did find a basic server class i could take. I will combine this with some labs.

I think with office 365 they wanted more troubleshooting experience.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Getting interviews is probably the hardest part imo! At least you know where you need to work on. If you didn't get a job after an interview you need to sit down, go over each question, and rethink how you could've answered it better. Maybe rethink what you are wearing to the interviews... Something. If you are getting a lot of interviews there is no reason you shouldn't be getting a job soon. It means there are jobs out there and they are looking for someone like you. (unless you're lying on the resume about your knowledge)

Seriously people don't just bring everyone off the street in for interviews. Go over questions over and over and over. Practicing answering them out loud.

I will need to go over the questions.

Often I'm I asked why I left one company I had been at for two years, and then went to a project for 6 months. I admit to the interviewer that they let me go, and that seems to be a pain point for a lot of companies. I have a crafted answer, but it's hard for them to NOT be afraid to bring me on.

It's true most places don't interview just anyone. Now days most places do a phone screening, and then bring you in for an interveiw if you pass the phone screening.

I do hope I get a IT job soon!!

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    Have you followed up after hearing you were not selected for those jobs to inquire why you were not chosen?

When I first started applying to IT jobs and would get those responses saying they were not proceeding with hiring me, I would politely and professionally respond asking if there was any specific experience I was lacking, etc. Always good to hear constructive feedback.

I haven't tried this, but I think I will start. It doesn't hurt to ask.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Have you considered moving to a new area or closer to the city? Many people find this hard at first but when you take that first step good things can happen

My fiance and I are looking into moving.

I have taken my address off the resume, so that jobs and recruiters won't do rte traveling math and disqualify me due to distance.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Agreed with the advice to use Virtualbox.
    Google for Microsoft Evaluation Center' you can get 90 time-trails for server 2012 (free).

Lab it up!
    Google/Torrent/Youtube for some some mcsa training.

Easy Solution: Lie.
    If your resume says your location is "small town"; change it to "big city".

Fin

I'm going to focus on labs with Windows Server 2012. I do have VMware player.

Regarding the address:
    I have taken my address off the resume, so that jobs and recruiters won't do rte traveling math and disqualify me due to distance.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    thomas_ wrote: »
    If at the end of an interview you feel it's a place you would like to work, then tell them that you would be very excited to work there should they select you for the position. You don't want them leaving the interview thinking that you're wishy washy about the position. I also like to ask if they have any concerns about hiring me for that position. This gives you an opportunity to address those issues head on and if you don't get the job it might give you some sort of indication as to the reason why you didn't get it.

I could try telling the employer I'm excited for this position.

I haven't tried asking if they have any concerns. I could try this though and see what happens.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    alan2308 wrote: »
    While Office 365 does include a piece of software you download and install on the computer, this isn't likely what they're asking for when they want Office 365 experience. The local office suite is a very small portion of the Office 365 ecosystem.

And @ the OP, if you worked at an MSP for a couple years, maybe you should work more on describing your experience there on your resume and being able to sell that in an interview. I would expect that you had a hand in a lot of different things at some point, even if it wasn't in your primary job duties. Don't lie, but if you ever did it, sell the fact that you know about it. And as others have said here, build a few VMs and work on some of the holes in your knowledge while you look.

Yes, on Office 365 they want troubleshooting experience.

At the MSP I handled their managed services, AV,Backup(offsite back, on premise, and full disk imaging backup), and the patching software. If anything happened with these service it went through me, and I troubleshooted what I could and asked the vendors for help. If it was a system issue the stopped the system from working, then I escalated it to the service desk team. I resolved most issues by myself though.

I will spin up those server VM's

Thank you everyone for your help!!

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I will need to go over the questions.

Often I'm I asked why I left one company I had been at for two years, and then went to a project for 6 months. I admit to the interviewer that they let me go, and that seems to be a pain point for a lot of companies. I have a crafted answer, but it's hard for them to NOT be afraid to bring me on.

It's true most places don't interview just anyone. Now days most places do a phone screening, and then bring you in for an interveiw if you pass the phone screening.

I do hope I get a IT job soon!!

NEVER say you were let go. As I mentioned in another thread, just say it wasn't a great fit (apparently true) and you decided to move on. You can also say the job ended up not being as it was described (sort of true) and you decided to move on. They will call your old employer and they will only vouch that you worked there. Sometimes prospective employers will ask if they'd hire you again. IF they say no, that's not as bad as you admitting you were fired.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP I also commute for an hour and change from a rural area. Keep pushing HR and recruiters thought the same with me even at one point doing 2 hours ( one way), tell them how passionate you are about the job. Also agreed with the poster above.
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    NEVER say you were let go. As I mentioned in another thread, just say it wasn't a great fit (apparently true) and you decided to move on. You can also say the job ended up not being as it was described (sort of true) and you decided to move on. They will call your old employer and they will only vouch that you worked there. Sometimes prospective employers will ask if they'd hire you again. IF they say no, that's not as bad as you admitting you were fired.

Thank you Jocal!!!!

Currently I say this "

Actually, they let me go because my jobs skills didn’t line up with the new job duties sand expectations. I learned to get things in writing and ask clarifying questions. I applied these things while I was in the US Bank Role and I excelled in this role. "

Would it be ok to say this, instead?

it wasn't a great fit and I moved on....Or job ended up not being as it was described (sort of true) and you decided to move on. If they want me to expand on this then say.....

My jobs skills didn’t line up with the new job duties sand expectations. I learned to get things in writing and ask clarifying questions. I did this while I was in my last role, and I excelled in this role.

I'm just asking, because a lot places press this question, because they really want to know why you left a company.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Chevel wrote: »
    OP I also commute for an hour and change from a rural area. Keep pushing HR and recruiters thought the same with me even at one point doing 2 hours ( one way), tell them how passionate you are about the job. Also agreed with the poster above.

Cool Chevel, this does give me hope!! I'm going to communicate my passion about the technology and the position. Currently, I only have my phone number and email listed on my resume. At least this way the recruiters can't rule me out based on location alone. There are some recruiters where I needed to communicate via email to get considered. I believe some recruiting companies will automatically rule you out based on your state, city, and zip code.

I had one position I was consider for that was a back fill position. Basically, the guy they had in this position was 45 minutes away like me. After 6 or 7 interviews with the recruiting company, they said the hiring manager didn't want to move forward. Well the last guy showed 5-10 minutes late everyday, and the recruiting company gave him several warning, and he didn't change his ways. The recruiting company said, the hiring manger was afraid that I would be late too, because I am the same distance away as the last guy.

Anyways, I got a call from a different recruiting company recruiting for a slightly higher position with the same company. It is a small world, and yes I have found if you don't live close to the position, then you need to work a little harder at selling yourself vs someone that lives close to the job location.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor