PMP Exam Update Coming 2017

CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
For those of you studying for the PMP exam, please be aware of the exam updates coming after the PMBOK 6th edition is released in September 2017. I have listed some of the key changes below, but reference the link for all the details.
  • A new chapter on the role of the project manager has been added to focus on leading projects effectively – competencies, experience and skills that are all necessary.
  • Two Knowledge Areas have been re-named to more accurately reflect which elements can be managed… and which can not:
  • Time Management is now Schedule Management
  • Human Resource Management is now Resource Management
  • Every Knowledge Area features four new sections:
[LIST=1|INDENT=1]
[*]Key Concepts
[*]Trends and Emerging Practices
[*]Tailoring Considerations
[*]Considerations for Agile/Adaptive Environments
[/LIST]https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/project-management-pmp/update

Comments

• Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CryptoQue wrote: »
    For those of you studying for the PMP exam, please be aware of the exam updates coming after the PMBOK 6th edition is released in September 2017. I have listed some of the key changes below, but reference the link for all the details.
    • A new chapter on the role of the project manager has been added to focus on leading projects effectively – competencies, experience and skills that are all necessary.
    • Two Knowledge Areas have been re-named to more accurately reflect which elements can be managed… and which can not:
    • Time Management is now Schedule Management
    • Human Resource Management is now Resource Management
    • Every Knowledge Area features four new sections:
    [LIST=1|INDENT=1]
    [*]Key Concepts
    [*]Trends and Emerging Practices
    [*]Tailoring Considerations
    [*]Considerations for Agile/Adaptive Environments
    [/LIST]https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/project-management-pmp/update

Many thanks for the post... currently studying... I'm just happy the new test will not be out until the 1st of next year.

Thanks again,
    Hatch
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm studying for it now.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • andymoranandymoran Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For Practitioners, By Practitioners

The Project Management Professional (PMP)®, along with all PMI certifications, is driven by current practices in the profession. Because project management is evolving, so is the PMP exam.

Did You Know?

As a result of the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition in September 2017, the PMP exam will change soon. These updates will ensure the exam content is consistent with the PMBOK® Guide.

Active practitioners from around the world author our exam questions as well as the PMBOK® Guide to ensure the PMP remains relevant and reflects current practice.

A new chapter on the role of the project manager has been added to focus on leading projects effectively – competencies, experience and skills that are all necessary.

Two Knowledge Areas have been re-named to more accurately reflect which elements can be managed… and which can not:

Time Management is now Schedule Management
    Human Resource Management is now Resource Management

https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/project-management-pmp/update
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reminder. Now I know I need to clear this exam before the year is over!
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working on this one now... nothing like a swift kick...
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will the current version expire right when the new one comes out? Or will there be a transition period?
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
    Will the current version expire right when the new one comes out? Or will there be a transition period?

Great question, this def warrants a google search!!!
    mzx380 wrote: »
    Great question, this def warrants a google search!!!

Haha yup...I just asked this since on the PMI website, there is no information about the old version's expiration.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you all project managers?

I am

ShimaSensei: I was serious about googling this topic since I am interested in taking this exam. I do not see much re: the schedule but the PMI website mentions Q1 2018 for the new exam so we will hopefully have more than Jan 1st to take the exam as it's currently structured.
    Makes a lot of sense then.....

Some people are embellishing on their skills and getting the PMP. Really ruins it for the real PM's IMO. My last position we ran into several and it really was alarming.....
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the PMI will release more details about the new exam date around the time of the new PMBOK release.

DatabaseHead I also think that's the case for other certs that have experience requirements. In order for it to change, organizations will have to be more rigorous in their auditing process to ensure candidates are equipped to represent the certification(s) in the job market.
    Makes a lot of sense then.....

Some people are embellishing on their skills and getting the PMP. Really ruins it for the real PM's IMO. My last position we ran into several and it really was alarming.....

Definitely merit to that DatabaseHead. The only thing is that how seasoned a PM will be will show during an interview or during the day to day. Complex Agile projects definitely require experience and simply having the credential will not give you the experience to handle PM processes.
    I considered it, but staying true to the certification I went and got the CAPM years ago, (It's expired). I felt as a former BA and now BI analyst it was just to cheesy for me to get it. We have real PM's who run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Those are the ones that should sit it. Not some selfish cert whore who feels the need to collect them all......

Sorry for the harsh stance, but you PM's deserve to own that certification on your own right. Not some idiotic help desk manager trying to get some more cred........

PS nothing against help desk managers I used to be one...
    I am

ShimaSensei: I was serious about googling this topic since I am interested in taking this exam. I do not see much re: the schedule but the PMI website mentions Q1 2018 for the new exam so we will hopefully have more than Jan 1st to take the exam as it's currently structured.

Thanks for that. Great to know, I was planning to study for this Q4 this year. Will definitely be keeping posted on this.

Not my main job title but I've handled a number of projects in IT and Security Ops, ranging from small (thousands) to large scale (multimillion-dollar). I'm currently part of the Plans & Engineering division in our organization. I hope that it helps me qualify for the PMP.
    That's a PM role, while you have an operational component you also are part projectized. Sounds like a matrix organization. '

Just to make sure I am clear, it's not title related, in fact most true engineers (electrical etc) who manage projects aren't called PM's they are something else, blank of engineering etc. However they manage projects, cost, quality, etc... Most certainly a legitimate candidate for the PMP.

It's the system admins or help desk manager or even operational director level employees who are getting this certification and it damages the credentials. If you don't have the experience you are cheating the system.......

In turn it is damaging what was once a fine certification....
    FYI
    The PMI website states that the PMP exam will use PMBOK sixth edition for tests scheduled after March 26, 2018

• danarzudanarzu Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for raccomandation !
  • msITmanagementhelpmsITmanagementhelp Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FYI
    The PMI website states that the PMP exam will use PMBOK sixth edition for tests scheduled after March 26, 2018

This was helpful, thank you. Hopefully I didn't waste too much money on PMP studying material for the pmbok 5 based test.
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A little less than 4 months left before the new exam goes into effect. Hopefully, everyone has their exam scheduled. Good luck!