How to get that 1st IT job

Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
Finding it very frustrating trying to land a interview. I understand experience is vital to landing a job , but how to get experience without first getting a job.

My background is mainly construction work, i have never had a tech job ,except i am now volunteering at the local chamber of commerce for last couple months,updating their web pages (news/events/jobs etc)

I go to a job club where we can learn all about cover letters and CV formats etc , I've changed mine up several times and still getting now joy, Problem i find where i am is all the jobs seem to want min 3 years exp for junior roles if not 5 or 7 yrs. I mean in the last couple months i have applied to probably over 75 jobs without a single reply. Meaning the competition i'm up against must be vast and strong.

Where i live is kind of a problem as not many jobs in that line where i actually live but i am applying to different counties which are hubs for the IT market in ireland. One city near me has several jobs a week that peak my interest(would apply to me) but again most are looking for that critical experience i apply and just never hear from them.

A couple of large companies (cookmedical,dell,arise) to name a few always seem to have IT network roles 1st/2nd level but i never get replies, i am at the stage now where i am offering myself free to companies but there comes the next problem of not being able to get to their HR team, secretaries acting like firewalls between me an all important Telephone number or HR email address or even just a name i can head my letter/email to .

Very frustrating anyone else have similar problem or anyone with advice on what to do next?

i'm hoping once i get CCNA r&s cert that at least one job will even reply to me for an interview.

Comments

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have time to volunteer, your current position is basically completely unrelated to a general IT job. Finding something better would give you a big leg up. Are there any computer repair shops in the area?

Also, get some hands on repairing PCs/laptops. Just start buying broken laptops on ebay, repair them and sell them. Or games consoles, or phones.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi yes that's what i do i repair all devices from laptops to phones , from screens to resistors/capacitors on mobos. The small shops that do it i wouldn't work for tbh as their reputations aren't great, if i could get into a real company doing that i'd be delighted but that kinda work is drying up fast imo and its only the small shops left doing it.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    I moved into IT from retail last year so know a bit about changing careers. What job roles have you been applying for?
    Everything and anything is the short answer , if i see a job relevant to any of my certs i apply.

Mostly network tech positions (junior or level 1 etc) and Tech Customer service (call centre) , really if i see anything i am remotely qualified to do i apply for it. Interview skills is something i am also lacking as in my entire life i've only had 2 interviews as rest of my work was just ask and start job follow day etc (construction)
    i have been avoiding call centre jobs that are not relevant to me tho , i.e selling concert tickets etc but anything tech i apply for.
    Hi yes that's what i do i repair all devices from laptops to phones , from screens to resistors/capacitors on mobos. The small shops that do it i wouldn't work for tbh as their reputations aren't great, if i could get into a real company doing that i'd be delighted but that kinda work is drying up fast imo and its only the small shops left doing it.

I'm talking as a voluntary position. Having a reference and actual work experience to put down on your CV will help.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
    only shops like that in the 20mile radius i wouldn't work in even if paid tbh as seeing some of the write ups some of em get i wouldn't want my name associated with them (theyre basically youtube fix shops ). Saying that there is one i could try a reputable company too, i tried before a year or two ago but didnt hear back from them ,but now with a couple more certs under my belt i could try again.
    Your not going to get anywhere near a networking role, no matter what the stated level, without either helpdesk experience or CCNA
    and how do i get the help-desk role that's where i'm struggling i can't even get an interview for them.

i Suppose my best option is grind this CCNA as fast as i can and update my CV and just keep plugging away, was just venting frustrations :D
  • TeeBeeTeeBee Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Mr.Robot255, I was in the exact same position around 3 1/2 years ago with zero IT experience. I took an unpaid internship for a local primary school as an IT technician, still getting my social welfare payments with a €50 payment on top. After gaining my A+ and Net+ that was enough to get my foot in the door as a service desk analyst for a MSP. After another position in first-line support with a different company and a CCNA gained that landed me my current position as a Network Engineer. Don't give up.
  • jws86jws86 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worked a factory job running brake presses before I moved into IT. My first interview I landed the job as help desk. I was currently in the middle of a 2 year degree for IT but had no professional experience outside of that other than building my own computers. Help desk has a lot to do with customer service. They aren't so much concerned with what you know from a technical stand point, because that can all be learned/taught on the job. They want to see that you are a people person, because you will have first interaction with customers when they are pissed off because they can't work. Have you ever worked in retail before or any customer service role at all?
    Currently studying for CCNA R&S
  • djrabesdjrabes Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bit different as I'm young - But landed my current (1st) IT job by applying for an apprenticeship. Got rejected multiple times for any basic IT jobs. I think self-study is your route for a minute. Grind your CCNA and maybe get an MCP/MCSA in Server 2012 and make yourself more 'diverse' in the field and qualify yourself for a Network Admin role.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
    Studying: Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
    Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I was working as a Data Management Assistant for my lab. A network person was needed, I volunteered. That was my plunge into IT.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I personally have seen the CCNA pull entry level folks out off the desk into more advanced roles. I have not see another technical cert do that anywhere near the frequency.

Even for system positions etc. It has a great reputation.
    only shops like that in the 20mile radius i wouldn't work in even if paid tbh as seeing some of the write ups some of em get i wouldn't want my name associated with them (theyre basically youtube fix shops ). Saying that there is one i could try a reputable company too, i tried before a year or two ago but didnt hear back from them ,but now with a couple more certs under my belt i could try again.

I think you're overthinking this a bit. HR just need some boxes ticking. They'll want a reference from your former employer proving that you were in fact working there in the capacity that you've stated. I highly doubt they're going to scrutinise the quality of the work carried out at the shop.
    Working on - RHCE
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    I must have done something wrong, because my CCNA didn't do anything for me. I feel like it depends on where you live and the job market in that area. Around here the MCSA is all the rage. Take a look at which certs pop up the most on job postings and consider grabbing a few. Make sure you study hard and know the material.
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I must have done something wrong, because my CCNA didn't do anything for me. I feel like it depends on where you live and the job market in that area. Around here the MCSA is all the rage. Take a look at which certs pop up the most on job postings and consider grabbing a few. Make sure you study hard and know the material.

Once you acquire your CCNA, you have to leverage yourself and skills with it. Apply for Network Engineer jobs and when you get into an interview, answer their questions with every detail and describe the topics like you read them day/night. I'm currently preparing to take mine and I'm certain I'll get a Network specific job once I have it on my resume.

Totally different fields. You have to pick the one that interests you otherwise the industry will become as boring for the OP as construction is now
    labscloud wrote: »
    Once you acquire your CCNA, you have to leverage yourself and skills with it. Apply for Network Engineer jobs and when you get into an interview, answer their questions with every detail and describe the topics like you read them day/night. I'm currently preparing to take mine and I'm certain I'll get a Network specific job once I have it on my resume.

~7 years ago we had some openings come up within a system admin group, we had ~15 technicians working for us at the time and one had his CCNA, active. He was the first one plucked up for that team.

Years before that we had a guy on the help desk who within 6 months slid over to the networking team as a network admin 1. Since he had the CCNA they had him work all the basic network issues and when it was complex he interfaced with the networking team and boom he was hired. In fact they made the position just for him.

Another time we had a tech on the desk YEARS ago spent ~2 years there and he ended up getting his CCNA and boom received a contract which led to a full time NOC 3 position and from there he has really taken off. In fact he is a network Architect now.

I was even told by an HR gal at lunch that they were informed by management (networking, systems etc) to keep an eye out for the CCNA or higher. They would like to interview those candidates.

I'm not a big cert guy, but I can't argue with the CCNA/CCNP route, it works even for roles outside of networking. Strange to be honest but the rep is fantastic. From my perspective and experience, even for system positions the NA is looked more favorably upon compared to Microsoft certs. Again just my perspective from the successes I have seen come from the fruits of it.
    Thanks everyone for all the input , i will continue doing what i'm doing and try get my ccna as soon as i can (theres a lot to it)

out of curiosity when people say (from other threads) their first jobs were help desk roles do they mean non technical , as in any job that involves help desk/customer service roles or should i be sticking to my guns and aiming at tech related roles.

thanks
    Definitely keep pushing for tech help desk. Make sure you sell yourself as having good communication skills etc
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks everyone for all the input , i will continue doing what i'm doing and try get my ccna as soon as i can (theres a lot to it)

out of curiosity when people say (from other threads) their first jobs were help desk roles do they mean non technical , as in any job that involves help desk/customer service roles or should i be sticking to my guns and aiming at tech related roles.

thanks

Usually when they say Helpdesk on this forum they mean lower level technical support aka Helpdesk where you interact with technology and application for example resetting AD accounts, mapping printers etc. Not to be comfused with customer service.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    If a fresh out of high school kid showed up to your office wanting a job, which would you rather they possess: a CEH or a CCNA?

They want to work in a NOC.

I always hear different answers to that question as it's pretty subjective. Let's hear what the older vets think.

Maybe the answers can help OP figure out a preferred route.
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CCNA, especially in a NOC.
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The CCNA is the first step to a very rewarding career in Networking. I'm getting close to taking mine and can already feel that I'm adding value to myself for future endeavors. I would suggest getting yours!
    I'd like to see what the networking and security folks think

NOC I would most certainly go with CCNA
    SOC CCNA Security?
    I think it's important to make a distinction here, that the IT landscape appears vastly different in the US than it does in the UK(and probably by extension Ireland too.)
    Working on - RHCE
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    I think it's important to make a distinction here, that the IT landscape appears vastly different in the US than it does in the UK(and probably by extension Ireland too.)

So true.

@ Mr. Robot

Did you put this on your resume?

i am now volunteering at the local chamber of commerce for last couple months,updating their web pages (news/events/jobs etc)

My thoughts:

Do you have a college or high ed degree beyond highschool? A lot of IT positions in the USA require a 2 or 4 year degree. In-fact, I have seen alot of positions that won't even require IT experience at All if you have a 4 year degree.

Once I graduated from college, It took me three years to find a IT position.

Do they have any staffing or temp agencies in Ireland? The staffing agencies will help you get in front of a company.

See if you can post your resume on this website IT Jobs | UK Contract and Permanent IT Jobs | uk.dice.com

Network with any members of the Chamber of commerce. See if local businesses are hiring. Maybe you can update web pages for local businesses and add this to your portfolio and/or resume.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Thanks again for replies i will edit my CV and upload it here after with a version of one of my cover letters (i'll just delete my personal details)

that way i will probably get a better idea of how my CV looks to potential employers

thanks again
    here are a couple of my cover letters,one is a speculative letter and other is a normal one (i would usually head the letter to Name and state the name of the company ) but this was to a recruitment agent who just asked for CVs etc

also i have few diff CVs all with same details just diff formats and some are just black ink and some have the blue or a dark green. I just switched it up as i literally get no responses at all.

cv
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8eneGRhaLKgdEdDLWVvY3JNUms

cover letter
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8eneGRhaLKgbG1KaWZ2VFZfbVk

speculative cover offering volunteer work
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8eneGRhaLKgZnFNd1VzOG5XalE

any feedback good and bad appreciated
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm don't know about CVs..... This is my 2 cents...

I would drop the following:

Hobbies & Interests
    I enjoy playing snooker with friends, going to the gym, fishing, hill climbing and cycling.

References available on request.

Here's why:

If they want your references they will ask.

Hobbies, they will ask in the interview.

Also, I would drop any jobs older then 10 years. If you don't it will show your age.

I would drop these jobs:

1993-1998

1998-2000

2000-2003

Keep these jobs:

June 2017-Present

2003 – 2013

At this company you say:
    Chamber of Commerce
    Assist with any IT issue..

What specific IT issues did you help with? Server issues, network issues, Microsoft office issues?

As far as the education and training goes, did you receive certifications at those places? If so, I would just drop those companies and add the certifications themselves.

Here is an example:
    Certifications:

CompTIA
    • A+
    • Network+
    • Security+

Microsoft
    • Microsoft Certified Professional
    • Microsoft Technology Associate
    • Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
    • Windows Operating Systems Fundamentals

Good Luck!!

PS the recruiters will never want Cover Letters, not less they're internal recruiters for a company. However, most recruiters will want references, so I would work on getting those now from your Chamber of Commerce position.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor