Dell XPS 13 or Macbook Pro 13 (2015)

escane99escane99 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Which would be better in terms of longevity (around 5 years or more), battery life, processor speed, keyboard, operating system, etc?

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    MBP hands down. I am still using my MBP 15 (early 2011, 2.0 i7, upgraded RAM to 16GB, 2x512GB Samsung SSD) as my daily and it's every bit as powerful and capable as my Surface Pro 4 16GB 256GB i7. I do love the new XPS machines though.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    If you don't plan on upgrading yourself and you don't mind paying a bit extra, MBP.

I have a XPS 15, and I love it.

I just upgraded the ram and put in a 960 evo m.2.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The XPS would definitively be cheaper and similar or better specs. They're both premium build type laptops so longevity wouldn't really be a concern hardware wise. I'd personally never spend my own money on a mac though they're not bad if work is paying. Just too over priced in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    They are all getting a bit long in the tooth so batteries and keyboards will be your main weaknesses.

Price wise the XPS should be a lot cheaper and therefore more bang for your buck - at work we are selling off our old XPS 13 (the 9333 models) for the equivelant to $60 US although I think they sell for more than that on eBay. The equivelat Macs were selling for $600 - performance wise they are not far apart (both 16Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD) so the Mac is either overpriced or the XPS is a bargain for the money.

As for the Mac v's PC arguement - that is old news and is frankly boring now. Each have their strengths but the PC is way cheaper so you can replace it several times for the cost of a Mac should you drop it, spill liquid on it or wear an unfashionable shirt that would break the Macs screen...

Often it will be the software you use that will dictate what is the best platform. You can run Windows on the Mac but that is a bit pointless - kind of like taking a stretch limo to go to the corner store to buy beer - Expensive and often frustrating unless you are trying to point out how cool you are.
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UncleB wrote: »
    They are all getting a bit long in the tooth so batteries and keyboards will be your main weaknesses.

Price wise the XPS should be a lot cheaper and therefore more bang for your buck - at work we are selling off our old XPS 13 (the 9333 models) for the equivelant to $60 US although I think they sell for more than that on eBay. The equivelat Macs were selling for $600 - performance wise they are not far apart (both 16Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD) so the Mac is either overpriced or the XPS is a bargain for the money.

As for the Mac v's PC arguement - that is old news and is frankly boring now. Each have their strengths but the PC is way cheaper so you can replace it several times for the cost of a Mac should you drop it, spill liquid on it or wear an unfashionable shirt that would break the Macs screen...

Often it will be the software you use that will dictate what is the best platform. You can run Windows on the Mac but that is a bit pointless - kind of like taking a stretch limo to go to the corner store to buy beer - Expensive and often frustrating unless you are trying to point out how cool you are.

I'll buy a few pls! :D
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    $60 is an xps 13 9333? I'll take two please.
    And an order of fries with that.
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    $60 is an xps 13 9333? I'll take two please.
    And an order of fries with that.

While you are at it, put me down for 6 or so.....
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    XPS hands down. Who would get a Mac?

Do you mean, "who would run MacOS?" or, "who would buy an Apple?" Because buying an Apple computer does not mean running running MacOS. Apple makes good stuff and it's not that hard to find advice on how to install Windows, Linux, and hypervisors like ESXi. People are doing this because Apple makes good hardware for a good price, and the little effort to run something other than MacOS only adds to the value.

Windows install on Apple metal is trivial, or nearly so, using utilities and drivers Apple supplies. It worked well for me but I gave up on that since I got beefier hardware and VMWare Fusion which allows me to run both side by side. Installing Linux on Apple metal is pretty trivial, in a VM also trivial. Running ESXi, on the metal or in a VM, should be trivial to anyone knowledgeable enough to want to bother.

I have no experience with the XPS but I've dealt with Dell hardware as well as several MacBook Pro models and lots of Apple hardware. I will say that with the lower end Dell hardware it's pretty hit and miss on longevity. I have been given a couple Dell laptops due to early failures, I was able to restore limited function on one, the other a total loss. Dell's high end stuff is as good as anything Apple makes, but you pay prices on par with Apple. Seems like you get what you pay for or something. I've been using a retired Dell server as a desktop for years now. I have no complaints on the hardware, any troubles I've had with it are (as best I can tell) problems from running Windows 10.

When shopping for a laptop five years ago or so I asked around and a large portion of the people I asked had two responses, "get an Apple" and "who would get a Mac?" This leads me to believe that those that have to ask didn't consider the possibility that someone might be looking for something to run Linux and know that they are either going to pay the Microsoft tax, the Apple tax, or have very limited choices on Linux only laptops, and therefore gave up on even looking what OS was installed.

The few that gave responses other than Apple or "anything but an Apple", gave such varied responses that no one manufacturer stuck out. I'm thinking I may need a new laptop soon so I'll be watching this thread. I will say that the Dell XPS line is something I am looking at.

If I had to decide today, right now, I'd get the Apple.
    MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Spec for spec, both the Dell and the Apple will be close in price, quality, and usefulness. Which OS are you more comfortable with? Both are fairly easy to figure out, so to me the answer to that question isn't as critical as the answer to the following two questions: 1. will you be working on them if they have hardware issues? and 2. what are you going to use them for.

If the answer to question one is you will fix it, then the Dell will be a bit easier to fix and replacement OEM parts will be more reasonably priced. If you are a Mac repair guru, then my comment is nullified.

If the answer to two is one of the following, here are some things to consider:

Multimedia creation: Apple used to have a huge edge in that space but Windows computers have caught up considerably.
    Gaming: still a Windows world, though less so than a decade ago.
    Hacking: it would probably mean a Linux environment, more or less, so either computer would do as a platform.
    General office work: either/or.
    General IT administration: either/or, for the most part.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Multimedia creation: Apple used to have a huge edge in that space but Windows computers have caught up considerably.
    Gaming: still a Windows world, though less so than a decade ago.

Apple has been getting a lot of flack from their GPUs being optimized for work over play. I won't pretend I understand the difference but as best I understand it the needs for doing multimedia work is different than providing a VR experience in a game. Those that are serious about either will know that any laptop will be a compromise and that this failing can be addressed with external GPUs in their various forms. USB-C, Thunderbolt, and perhaps other interfaces now offer enough bandwidth that people are not limited to the GPU that came with the laptop any more. Of course using an external GPU does destroy the portability aspect but it does allow a single computer for working or playing away from your desk and then getting the big GPU and display when plugged in at home.

That distinction on multimedia work versus a visually immersing play does not really come into play here since both Dell and Apple put identical, or nearly so, graphics capabilities in their 13 inch laptops. The larger and pricier ones might mean having to make this choice.

I was discussing laptop options with my brother and he pointed out that no Apple supports a touch screen or "2-in-1" flip to tablet mode like some of the competition. The Dell XPS line does not appear to support a tablet mode either but there is an option for a touch screen. I don't see the utility in a touch screen but some people seem to like it to the point they'd not even consider a laptop without it.

One thing to watch for is the screen resolution. I've seen people compare "equal" Windows and Mac laptops where all the specifications are nearly identical but the Apple will have the "Retina" display and the competition will have at best 1920x1080 at best, which makes the Apple look real expansive. If you compare desktop displays you'll see why you can save a lot of money on getting the low resolution display because a 1080p display will go for 1/4th the price of a 4K display. Might have something to do with having 1/4th the pixels. If you think you will be as happy with the lower resolution display then that's one way to save money.
    MacGuffin - A plot device, an item or person that exists only to produce conflict among the characters within the story.