Security+ Class Traning or Books?

Gemini365iGemini365i Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm just wondering if poeple are just reading books or online reseoures or actually taking Online Courses or College Coures for this Cert?

Comments

• jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Darril Gibson. EBook and his site for the premium materials.

Absolutely no contest.
  • Gemini365iGemini365i Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So you mean to tell me I can buy from Darril for $90.00 vs spending $1900.00?
  • phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lots of people have passed with just Darril Gibson's book and his premium content, you might want to give it a try. Also if you're afraid you might fail the first time and need to take the test a second time, consider getting the Comptia Deluxe bundle:

https://www.comptiastore.com/CompTIA-Security-Deluxe-Bundle-p/s_bdl_dlx.htm

The exam fee is $320 but included in the deluxe bundle for an extra $79 you get an exam voucher and a retake voucher.
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP
  • Gemini365iGemini365i Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is great. I took it upon myself to get the Prof. Messer Security + Notes $25 bundle for Security+ and the $10 for the Nework+.
    Next, I am going to subscribe to Darril's Full Security+ Online Access bundle for $90.00.

Once I get thru all of these tools, I will get to the CompTIAs tore and purchase the Voucher, etc... :).

This gives me light at the end of the tunnel. I was thiniing, I'd be out of $2k+ for an online class + purchasing all of these extra resources.
    Gemini365i wrote: »
    This is great. I took it upon myself to get the Prof. Messer Security + Notes $25 bundle for Security+ and the $10 for the Nework+.
    Next, I am going to subscribe to Darril's Full Security+ Online Access bundle for $90.00.

Once I get thru all of these tools, I will get to the CompTIAs tore and purchase the Voucher, etc... :).

This gives me light at the end of the tunnel. I was thiniing, I'd be out of $2k+ for an online class + purchasing all of these extra resources.

Brutal honesty here. If you need to drop $2,000 to get through the Security+ exam, you aren't ready to take the Security+ exam.

Gibson's coverage of the material is superb, and the Messer videos come highly recommended. People have different learning styles, and you need to address your learning style, but I don't think an online class is going to be it. That's just my $0.02.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I echo what others have said. This stuff is very basic and the resources recommended are great.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Get the Sec+ bundle that comes with certmaster plus two test vouchers.

You seriously don't need to take a course for the Sec+. That would be a huge waste of time and money. You can self-study and pass, no problem.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I beg to differ there. I have dyslexia, and even though I have tons of experience, I always like to have that extra push of actually seeing it. I took a course at a community college, it helped me. Though I did not pass the first time, that extra push using Darril helped me the second time.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    I don't disagree. Individual learning style matters, and I said as much. But, the nature of the question did not suggest specific learning style requirements.

Plus, there is a big difference between the immersive environment of being in a classroom, as opposed to an online class delivered via video. At that point, the Messer videos are the same thing and not $2K.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I was going to comment the exact same thing jibtech said. Scaredoftests experience seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Unless your learning style precludes you from using books or videos, the vast majority would agree that it doesn't make much sense to pay for a class.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I passed just with Darril's book and the measure up practice exams. I had some video courses for this cert, but they just went too deep. Daril does such a great job of explaining things and summarizing them, so that you have all the knowledge you need to pass the exam.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • BUGFREEBUGFREE Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have Dsylexia, can you get more time on the exam? Something like more time might make the difference between a passing and non-passing score.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can request accommodations for Comptia (And other) exams through Pearson for concerns such as Dyslexia.

You can find more info here
    Select your testing program :: Test accommodations

Or if it makes more sense, email pearson here accommodationspearsonvue@pearson.com
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have never asked for accommodations. I would have asked fro two double beds. icon_rolleyes.gif
    but seriously, I would have liked to ask Cisco for that. Questions were so vague that my dyslexic mind exploded.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would never turn down a paid for training if someone wanted to pay for it AND if it were longer than the usual 5 days. Fun and Immersive. (not so much if its a bootcamp for 5 days)

Don't fall for bootcamps especially when this is a big vocabulary exam.

maybe use a paid for training by your boss for a cisco or microsoft cert in the final weeks of prep. but for sec+, I just used darrils book for $30 and professor messer.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree