Cybersecurity History Book Recomendations?

mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anybody have any recommendations for books about cybersecurity, code breaking, hacking and stuff like that? I would like to learn more about the history, people and major events surrounding this field. I'm about to start Ghost in the Wires by Kevin Mitnick, any thoughts on that one? Also on my list is Countdown to Zero Day: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World's First Digital Weapon by Kim Zetter.

Thanks!
Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
In Progress: ​Not sure...

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start with The Cuckoo's Egg.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Dark Territory and Playing to the Edge have been my favorites so far. Check the Cybersecurity Canon for additional reads: https://cybercanon.paloaltonetworks.com/
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not a book, but check out the movie on struxnet called Zero Days (2016). It was pretty good.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I enjoyed Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyberwarfare by Fred Kaplan. Great info on cyberwarfare from US gov point of view. I enjoyed the audio book but the narrator doesn't know the correct colloquial pronunciations of several acronyms for gov agencies--be forewarned if you do audio.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I would start with The Cuckoo's Egg.

Seconded for Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll.

It is the actual account of tracking someone who broke into LBNL, written by the guy who actually did the tracking.

It was one of, if not the, first hacking cases. Truly a bizarre adventure through the eyes of Mr. Stoll, and eye opening into the perceptions by law enforcement.

Ghost in the Wires is interesting, but it is from Mitnick's point of view. He has an interesting personality, and it shows in his writing.
  • Master DelgadoMaster Delgado Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Code Book by Simon Singh (historical background of codes and ciphers...I read this book after reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson).
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read Ghost in the Wires a few months ago, it was pretty good.
    Kind of cybersecurity/hacking related, I also just finished America Kingpin. It's about the founder for Silk Road, but also goes into some detail about how various agencies finally managed to put it together who he was and how he was eventually arrested.