Options

Multihomed 2016 server. Disabling RDP on the external NIC.

ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've googled for 30 minutes so now I'll break down and ask: Can I bind RDP to just one network adapter? I want to completely disable it on the public interface. I don't want to restrict it by the Windows firewall, I just want it turned off on the external NIC.

Comments

• Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383811(v=vs.85).aspx

You want the SetNetworkAdapterLanaID method.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Phalanx wrote: »
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383811(v=vs.85).aspx

You want the SetNetworkAdapterLanaID method.

First, thank you for the response. That matches what I had read. I'm developing instructions for entry level Engineers that aren't super CLI/WMI savvy. I had hoped that it was something I could simplify and screenshot within the GUI in order to sell it to management as an easy process. In the absence of that, I will lab it up at home and document/script the process.
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well you could always edit the registry setting that the script points to and simply make a .reg file if you prefer.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert