IT Security Training

paulsmithpaulsmith Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all

I am an IT Security newbie and i have been in my current role for 3 months. I have been told that there is money available for my professional development.

I currently have an active course on CBT Nuggets for Comp TIA Security +

But what other professional courses would you all recommend, the correct path? I'm confused. I hear MTA, Security + CISSP ETC....

Thanks

Comments

• ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you are 3 months in, I would do Security+ or GSEC (if your employer will pay for it). How many years of overall IT experience do you have?

CISSP can be done too. It requires 5 years of experience in 2 or more of the domains covered in the exam, or you can get a waiver for 1 year of the required experience if you have an IT degree or a cert from the list provided on the (ISC)2 website.
  • paulsmithpaulsmith Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello

thank you for your reply.

I have 6 years experience in IT working at 2nd Line level and in the final year was doing 3rd line stuff too.

I have a degree in Music Technology lol

Thanks
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have a degree in food and beverage management as well. never used.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    paulsmith wrote: »
    Hello

thank you for your reply.

I have 6 years experience in IT working at 2nd Line level and in the final year was doing 3rd line stuff too.

I have a degree in Music Technology lol

Thanks

I would pursue the Security+ first to give you an understanding of general concepts. That exam usually takes about 1-2 months to prepare for, depending on your study habits.

After that, focus on building experience then I would attempt the CISSP after you have been in your current role for 1-1/2 years. You can use the Security+ for the 1 year experience waiver too.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What sort of things do you do at work? Maybe we can give you more information on which certs.
    Also tell us where you would like to go in the future.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's their budget? If it's big, don't even bother with CompTIA, go straight to SANS GSEC.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    If you're company pays for SANS then do as many as you can

otherwise, go for Security+ then give eLearnSecurity eJPT ago, you will learn a lot for cheap
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go for SANS if the budget will cover it. I would recommend GSEC since you're a rookie.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd learn as much OJT as possible, once that stabilizes then think about additional training. Nothing will beat what you learn on the job.

With that said, years ago I did some research on security certifications. Both on indeed and monster and the C|EH was one of the most sought after certifications out there. ~15% of all security positions either required or preferred. (If memory servers me correctly).

Of course the CISSP is the big boy, ~50% of all security positions required or preferred.
  • technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How did you get an entry level job in IT security?

I'm working on helpdesk and plan to get my CCNA security soon

I want to get out of helpdesk
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    technogoat wrote: »
    How did you get an entry level job in IT security?

I'm working on helpdesk and plan to get my CCNA security soon

I want to get out of helpdesk
    Getting the Security+ is something to think about. I've heard very mixed reviews of the CCNA Security exam. You may want to think about CCNA CyberSecurity.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Getting the Security+ is something to think about. I've heard very mixed reviews of the CCNA Security exam. You may want to think about CCNA CyberSecurity.

Just ordered the book for CCNA security

I have classes in which we used ASA

also, CCNA security is free for me

I'll see if I can get cyberops covered

hmmmm, if CyberSecurity takes me less than a month then I'll go for it

the CCNA CyberSecurity looks good

might get Security+ as well just to get the foundations down
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would get Sec+ to lay the foundation
    Then either get CCNA security or CASP
    following that I would get eJPT or OSCP if you want to be a Penntester
    it depends on where you want to go in security.... find your area of interest and then go from there
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios