Options

How long have you been at your current job and how much longer will you remain?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Obviously this is just an estimate, but I am curious to see where the forum members are at.

I'll start....

3 months in new role
18 months ETD

Comments

• Options
    majorpaynemajorpayne Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Role: Jr Sys Engineer
    7 months in new role
    17 months ETD tired of desktop support.
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    1 year and 6 months - a new record for the longest time I spent at one place.

I still have 5 months left of 9 months contract which was renewed back in March (longest extension than anyone else).

I'm currently applying for International Experience Canada visa therefore I plan to leave sometime next year.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am afraid to say or I'll scare everyone icon_neutral.gif I know I overstayed and have been looking for better opportunities, just nothing panned out yet.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just starting a new place this coming week.
    2 years at my last job and 13 months the job before that.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    6 years in November.

I'll stay for the foreseeable future. Probably move up some more. Excellent company to work for, very excellent team to work with. Lots of training opportunities, lots of hands on with new stuff. My input is respected and taken into account with various projects and resolutions to issues. Every member of the team is a valued asset, and we're treated like it. Really, this is the best place I've worked. Tons of respect all around.

I'm in a rural area, so there aren't a whole lot of opportunities around. But, in a couple years my youngest son graduated high school, and I might start looking to move to a larger city and working there. Nothing really planned or anything yet, though. Just an option. It's going to be really hard to leave this employer.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    3 months. How long I stays depends on how much they want to take care of me. Position paid a decent amount into the 6 figures, but I make below that. I think I've already proven myself and this role involves more than I was led to believe. Would like to make 6 figures come the 1 year mark here. If not, might wait it out 1 more year but if by year 2 I'm not 6 figures, I'd be heavily exploring other opportunities.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    About 3 months for me. As long as I am treated decently and learn new things (today it is palo alto firewall and implementing a VPN!). I will be here for awhile!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    6 months in role and 15 months in total with employer.

I have A LOT of downtime so for me its perfect while I study for CCNP. Once I pass that, hopefully by new year, I will look at moving on
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm right around 6 1/2 years currently. Hopefully, I will only be here another 3-4 weeks if everything else pans out.
    In that time, I have had opportunities to move up and take on different responsibilities about every 1-2 years ish
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Current Role 34 months, I plan on staying another 9 or 10 months before moving on to another position, hopefully within the same company.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    8 months at my current job.

This was to be my last stop so to speak, as I'm working on non-IT entrepreneurial endeavors, however yesterday my manager (Director) dropped the bomb on me that he resigned effective the end of the month. I was floored and caught completely off guard, and I asked why and he said because it stopped being fun. I've always felt like I wouldn't want his job because he has a metric sh*t-ton on his plate, so can't blame him. Thing is though, he's amazing and I FINALLY got a position where I have such an amazing working relationship with my manager and was looking forward to the long term. So now I'm mentally in disarray since I have no idea how things are going to play out with replacing him, and the person who will replace him.

Manager leaving may not seem like a big thing to most, but in my mind this is me trying to work through it....

Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    8 months at my current job.

This was to be my last stop so to speak, as I'm working on non-IT entrepreneurial endeavors, however yesterday my manager (Director) dropped the bomb on me that he resigned effective the end of the month. I was floored and caught completely off guard, and I asked why and he said because it stopped being fun. I've always felt like I wouldn't want his job because he has a metric sh*t-ton on his plate, so can't blame him. Thing is though, he's amazing and I FINALLY got a position where I have such an amazing working relationship with my manager and was looking forward to the long term. So now I'm mentally in disarray since I have no idea how things are going to play out with replacing him, and the person who will replace him.

Manager leaving may not seem like a big thing to most, but in my mind this is me trying to work through it....

The good ones never stay my friend. I had ~2.5 years with my last boss who sounds a lot like the one you just described. Once he bounced, I was out of there in less than 4 weeks.
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently in a tiered role with five promotion opportunities. So it's really up to me. I imagine for me to top out from my 1 position now would take 6 years or so. I don't see a need to leave before then, but everything can change. So for now the plan is to work here forever. This place offers a pension as well.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    The good ones never stay my friend. I had ~2.5 years with my last boss who sounds a lot like the one you just described. Once he bounced, I was out of there in less than 4 weeks.

Wow. Well I know I'm not planning on going anywhere that soon, if at all. It just stinks because it's not like there's mid six figure/fully-remote/non-travel jobs just growing on trees. And my job is amazing because it's deliverable based so I arrange my day how I see fit to get the deliverables done. My manager is great and I've learned a ton from him in 8 months. If some micro-managing asshat comes in, then that's going to just ruin it for me. Had that at my last job, never again. At least he paid for me to get my CISM, CISA, and CRISC, and that helps the resume.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Started a new job at a new company 3 months ago. I'm getting my CCNA, then I'll probably look at moving to a larger city and area where my pay will increase significantly, it's hard to live off $16/hr.
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My situation is a bit odd and I'm usually not airing everything in public but here is the reason I might be considering a company move

I work for a large, very large national company right now and I have been one of their network design engineers for only 6 months. The job itself isn't that bad and I have done this job before the issue I have been coming across is working with other people who don't necessarily care about much and a lot of people hold onto information for themselves. There really is no training involved and you learn what you can as you go. I have worked with many different technologies and designs so far.

The job is wonderful and I want to stay, but I feel there is a lot of tension between the engineering and support departments. I try to be helpful but I notice because you are engineer other depts feel like they can step all over you and you are supposed to do the same to them. There's always a lot of talk abut each dept not knowing what they are doing, or how they don't understand how to do certain things or troubleshoot. I don't know if any of it is true, but I am not entirely excited about the gossip around here.

One of the worst things is getting a clear answer from anyone in support, they hold onto information to themselves and once something fails they chose to blame the design but won't explain what the issue is. It is especially worse when you are a remote engineer and you have to visit a remote office for some conference and nobody really knows who you are, what your dept does, or what your job function is.

I have been here 6+ months now and the last engineer (who trained me) has quit. The last engineer before him has quit as well. I am the only one in this state and it is making things hard to work with my own dept sometimes since everyone is in a different state and good luck catching someone on the phone when you need something.
  • Options
    ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1 year and 1 month. Job ends next month so on the hunt for another.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only a few months so far. I'll make it to at least the one year mark, but after that, it'll depend how bored I am. Right now, I just do an hour's worth of work, study for an hour or two, then watch movies the rest of the night (my job involves monitoring, so as long as nothing turns red, my work is done). Once I'm bored, if there's no advancement opportunities, then I'll be gone in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been at my new job less than a month as I just started as a Systems Admin. I was a Cloud Systems Engineer for 4 years most recently. :)

I think I will stay at my new role for at least 1-2 years at a minimum. It depends on how it goes and my overall satisfaction at the role.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been in my current 19 months. Leaving any day now... hopefully. I've stopped waiting for something internal opening and I have started looking at other firms.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • Options
    @ PocketLumberJack

Read a great book by a former HR VP for a large fortune 500. They said after 12 - 24 months at your current position if you don't get a promotion 6 months after that, start looking externally as a rule of thumb.

Thought that was interesting.
  • Options
    MCP2000MCP2000 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let me look at my calendar... 10 years and 6 months. Damn time flies thanks to multiple promotions.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    last role 4 yrs
    current role 1.5 yrs and great pay, benefits, awesome team feels like family. I will stay with my company until I feel I am not growing anymore.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A little over 6 months here at my current. Now that I'm handling all kinds of different technologies that are new to me I'm going to hang out for a while. I'm treated well, paid well and only live 2 miles away. No nights or weekends either. Some day though I'd like to be a part of a larger team. Right now it's just my boss and I. He handles the ERP system and production software and I handle just about everything else.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A bit over 6 years with opportunity for growth. I have no plans on changing companies anytime soon.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    8 months into a new job at a new company. Stayed for 15 months at a previous job.

I don't have any plans of leaving this one. I do want to move up to a new position within a year.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    lloris_20lloris_20 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

Been at the current role since past 4 months. Looking forward to completing a year. I work as a Email deliverability Engineer for an ESP and its fun right now learning different things. Maybe past the 1 year mark if I am bored and dont get anything interesting project, I will look somewhere else.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    5 years. I will stay forever as long as they keep giving my new stuff to learn, increasing my wage sufficiently and/or promoting me.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great thread, DBH :]

I've been at my NOC gig for about 12 months now;
    Was finally able to focus/complete my MCSA Server 2012, and have also earned the JNCIA.

I plan to be outta here in another 12 months; but not before achieving
    F5 Big IP Associate
    CCNP Switch
    Palo PCNSE
    CCNA DC
    CCNA Design

Thus far... I've clocked in +91 hours on cbtnuggets.
    :]
  • Options
    You are really moving along well in regards to certs. Keep us posted when you knock out those specialized CCNA certifications, those have always had big time value. I've seen it in over 4 enterprises, all of them love engineers with the NA.