Options

Passed the SYO - 401

Darth-VaderDarth-Vader Registered Users Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
Took my test today, passed with 784. I’m so happy I passed it at the first attempt. This is also my first ever certification exam and I have zero hands-on experience although I do have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science. All I used was Darill Gibson’s book along with practice questions on exam-compass. I only had two performance based questions and 70 in total. The exam is significantly harder than the practice questions, but as long as you know the material, you would be fine. Guys I need advice on which cert to do next for someone like me who wants to work in the infosec field

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on passing the exam first and foremost!! Great job :)

To answer your question it depends on what part you want to do pentesting, network security, etc. as each one has certifications tailored to their specific skill sets and criteria. I would suggest to get you started and narrow down your scope to take a look at the following certs: CEH, CHFI, CISSP, and GCIH. There are more than these but these come off the top of my head.

You might also consider checking out the InfoSec threads on TE for more direction. Best of luck in your future goals and career!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Alright I would research on them. Thanks a lot and best of luck too
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass +1 rep for being the Lord of the Empire!!!! my fearless leader
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Thanks a lot guys :)
  • Options
    egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass. I plan on taking the Security+ in a couple of months. I'd like to use Transcenders as the practice exam though since the Transcenders questions are usually harder than the actual test.
    Took my test today, passed with 784. I’m so happy I passed it at the first attempt. This is also my first ever certification exam and I have zero hands-on experience although I do have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science. All I used was Darill Gibson’s book along with practice questions on exam-compass. I only had two performance based questions and 70 in total. The exam is significantly harder than the practice questions, but as long as you know the material, you would be fine. Guys I need advice on which cert to do next for someone like me who wants to work in the infosec field
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    IgetitgirlIgetitgirl Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recommend you get some foundational IT security skills first. You must have 5 years of experience to qualify as a CISSP so no need to take that exam right now. You can take the ISC2 SSCP and wait until you have 5 years of experience for the CISSP. I recommend you begin to understand Linux and Window Operating systems. You can get some of the in A+ , Linux+, and Microsoft OS courses or certifications. After you learn basic operating systems and hardware, then move to network+ and get a good understanding of networking. Then after some experience, learn how to secure systems and networks by learning to to hack some. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would brainstorm to see What part of Infosec you want to be in. Do your research. But I would recommend getting you CCNA and MCSA. I would skip Linux + and just get the book and learn the material and not take the exam. A+ is really for field techs honestly... learning components of a PC etc.. I would get Net+ before CCNA though.. So i would recommend your path to be something like

Net+, CCNA, MCSA, CASP, then go from there....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Lord Vader icon_cheers.gif

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil