Options

Work Paying for Me to Be a Drone Pilot

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Got the official word today, will be doing a week long course (plus a week long selfstudy to be completed before the class) to become a drone pilot! Anyone else flying drones? Any tips? Equipment you like? Don't like? Any side gigs? I did find DroneBase and as soon as I am licensed I'll probably start doing some work with them (once I purchase my drone).
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the drone doesn't have sidewinder missiles on it, I have no interest. I like to reach out and touch people during my drone operations.

It does bring up a interesting line of discussion, are we allowed to shoot down drones if they fly over a restricted areas, such as a nuclear power plant? There privacy concerns as well, if say a women is sunbathing topless in the privacy of her own back yard, is a drone trespassing? You could argue that aircraft invade privacy as well when they fly overhead, but FAA regulations restrict aircraft to a minimum attitude of 1,000 feet over land or 500 feet over, unless they are taking off or landing. Drone on the other hand are restricted to under 400 feet. You can capture some amazing video shots with drones, but as with anything, there use can be abused as well.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am buying a Mavic Pro for my Birthday. Being a cert freak I decided to go for the part 107 exam in case I ever want to do something commercial. What class are you taking? I think I'll be doing the RemotePilot101.com course.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    If the drone doesn't have sidewinder missiles on it, I have no interest. I like to reach out and touch people during my drone operations.

It does bring up a interesting line of discussion, are we allowed to shoot down drones if they fly over a restricted areas, such as a nuclear power plant? There privacy concerns as well, if say a women is sunbathing topless in the privacy of her own back yard, is a drone trespassing? You could argue that aircraft invade privacy as well when they fly overhead, but FAA regulations restrict aircraft to a minimum attitude of 1,000 feet over land or 500 feet over, unless they are taking off or landing. Drone on the other hand are restricted to under 400 feet. You can capture some amazing video shots with drones, but as with anything, there use can be abused as well.

It is interesting in regards to privacy. Only cases that's hit the Supreme Court is from WWII and in that case it was decided that the Government flying at 83 feet made them responsible for the death of a farmers chickens. Thus one could say that being above 83 feet means an operator would be within their right to fly. It's really going to come down to what the States decide is or is not allowed in my opinion. A case in Kentucky, in which a property owner shot down the drone, was dismissed (he was charged with criminal mischief). For now it will remain a grey area until laws are passed or case law is established.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »

Well I believe the effective range of a shotgun with lead shot is around 65 yards. So, I'd say if you stay above 200ft you're safe to fly. Get any closer, then that drone is in season.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We're getting the Karma Drone in a few weeks.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I am buying a Mavic Pro for my Birthday. Being a cert freak I decided to go for the part 107 exam in case I ever want to do something commercial. What class are you taking? I think I'll be doing the RemotePilot101.com course.

I'm doing the class through NATIA and it includes RemotePilot101.com. My coworker has liked it and felt it was pretty good, but we'll see if he passes.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've thought about doing the part 107 but I just haven't had time. I've got a Phantom 3 Advanced and have been looking at an Inspire. I would love an Inspire 2 but will probably go with an Inspire 1 V2.0.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    Figured I'd post an update. My class starts a week from Monday (week of September 11th). My coworker completed the course two weeks ago and passed his 107 exam. Based on what he has said and on what I have gotten thus far from remotepilot101.com, not everything required to pass is covered, but that is more due to the amount of information that can be tested versus something lacking in the course. It is definitely the most interesting course I have taken and I really like it. If possible I will post daily once I start my in person course, if not I will just do a wrap up once I finish.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    It is interesting in regards to privacy. Only cases that's hit the Supreme Court is from WWII and in that case it was decided that the Government flying at 83 feet made them responsible for the death of a farmers chickens. Thus one could say that being above 83 feet means an operator would be within their right to fly. It's really going to come down to what the States decide is or is not allowed in my opinion. A case in Kentucky, in which a property owner shot down the drone, was dismissed (he was charged with criminal mischief). For now it will remain a grey area until laws are passed or case law is established.

the gap in legal determination is 83 ft to 500ft... property rights include up to 83 ft as a result of the case you mentioned, FAA rules kick in at 500ft. The case here in Ky, was within the 83 ft and the operator was buzzing the guy's 16 year old daughter in their fenced in pool... I would have shot it down as well... the operator would have been starring down a shotgun barrel when he trespassed on my property threatening me as well.
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thats pretty cool, they have drone races as well, those are every customized racing drones though, nothing you can buy off a shelve.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you able to share why your job is footing the bill?
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    jcundiff wrote: »
    the gap in legal determination is 83 ft to 500ft... property rights include up to 83 ft as a result of the case you mentioned, FAA rules kick in at 500ft. The case here in Ky, was within the 83 ft and the operator was buzzing the guy's 16 year old daughter in their fenced in pool... I would have shot it down as well... the operator would have been starring down a shotgun barrel when he trespassed on my property threatening me as well.

Thanks for this info! Wasn't aware that the operator was within that 83 ft. I've also begun reviewing case law revolving around helicopter flights as that seems to be more pertinent to drone operations.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    Are you able to share why your job is footing the bill?

Boss asked for a volunteer and I don't say no to training.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff