Certification advice

Darnell HowardDarnell Howard Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all new to posting here and would love to get some of you guys advice. So I plan on leaving the military in 2yrs and my goal is to get a DOD job now I currently have Sec+ but that alone won't cut it. So my question to you guys is which cert should I go for next? I was thinking CASP or maybe CEH I don't have really any infosec experience but I know sec+ is the first step just trying to figure out now what's the next step. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welcome to TE.
    First, it would depend on where you are now and what you are doing. A Security+ is not only a good start, it's essential for DoD IT jobs including contractor jobs. Even Information Assurance jobs require at least one "Computer Education" certification, most of them on the list provided to me are OS certs, Linux or Microsoft Server.
    If you are or want to be a systems administrator, I would look into getting Microsoft certs, starting with MCSA, not sure if you can still get 2008, but for sure 2012.
    If you are or want to be a network administrator, then the Cisco path is better, either CCENT followed by the CCNA, or. if you have Cisco experience, you can attempt the CCNA in one exam.
    If you think you want to enter the field of information security - which is a good field, then CASP or CEH are good at your current experience level, CISSP and CISA require documented experience as an IT professional in their respective domains, unless you are certain you can provide that (and ISC2 of CISSP I heard is lenient in considering military experience - after all the military's 'product' IS security). Even so, I recommend you still get some vendor specific certs because most starting off in information security will either be locking down Windows or Linux domains, or, securing network equipment such as switches or routers. Once you get your foot in a door, you can focus your professional development in IS specific training, such as penetration, audits, etc.
    Thank you for your service, and just persist, you will do well. Sorry for the ramble lol.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would highly suggest looking into any cyber security education programs offered to veterans. Microsoft recently launched a program like this and I know here in the state of Virginia (not sure where you are currently living), there are a ton of cyber security programs for professionals and veterans. Our state is aiming to become a leader in cyber security across the nation. I think our Governor even recently said there are 36,000 or so cyber jobs vacant here.
  • Darnell HowardDarnell Howard Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Welcome to TE.
    First, it would depend on where you are now and what you are doing. A Security+ is not only a good start, it's essential for DoD IT jobs including contractor jobs. Even Information Assurance jobs require at least one "Computer Education" certification, most of them on the list provided to me are OS certs, Linux or Microsoft Server.
    If you are or want to be a systems administrator, I would look into getting Microsoft certs, starting with MCSA, not sure if you can still get 2008, but for sure 2012.
    If you are or want to be a network administrator, then the Cisco path is better, either CCENT followed by the CCNA, or. if you have Cisco experience, you can attempt the CCNA in one exam.
    If you think you want to enter the field of information security - which is a good field, then CASP or CEH are good at your current experience level, CISSP and CISA require documented experience as an IT professional in their respective domains, unless you are certain you can provide that (and ISC2 of CISSP I heard is lenient in considering military experience - after all the military's 'product' IS security). Even so, I recommend you still get some vendor specific certs because most starting off in information security will either be locking down Windows or Linux domains, or, securing network equipment such as switches or routers. Once you get your foot in a door, you can focus your professional development in IS specific training, such as penetration, audits, etc.
    Thank you for your service, and just persist, you will do well. Sorry for the ramble lol.
    Thanks man I appreciate all of the info, which one should I focus on first? I was thinking CEH would help me in passing CASP any thoughts on this?
  • Darnell HowardDarnell Howard Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice man I really appreciate it, do you recommend CEH as a good path forwards passing CASP? Im thinking of taking it first to prepare me for CASP