Self Funding CEH exam - how many have done this?

CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been wanting this certification for ages, mainly as the value it seems to have for HR people and many companies who seem to like applicants with this.

I'm self funding and I've been to the "Buy Voucher Page" about 10 times but the cost is really hard to swallow.

$1140 USD (£880)

I believe it's worth it just to have it on the CV and I guess the advantage is that once it's done, it's done.

My current job role is in digital forensics and my employers aren't very supportive with any training other than the bare essentials and that's why I'm funding this myself. My ideal role is to move more into cyber security and probably pen testing once I've got better at actual hacking.

Anyone else self funded for the CEH?
My Aims
2017: OSCP -
COMPLETED
2018: CISSP -
COMPLETED
2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
COMPLETED
           GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
2022: OSWE (hopefully)

Comments

• IgetitgirlIgetitgirl Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends on where you live and whether you are willing to change jobs. If you are flexible, change positions and let your employer pay for it. That is my recommendation.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□

. . . I believe it's worth it just to have it on the CV and I guess the advantage is that once it's done, it's done. . .

Except it's not completely done. You'll be on the hook to pay EC Council $80 per year if you don't want the cert to expire in 3 years.
    https://cert.eccouncil.org/ece-policy.html

So really you're looking at $1140 + 240 = $1380.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have the experience, go either for CISSP (599$ US + books) or OSCP (about the same cost that CEH). CEH is so expensive in regard of the content.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why the CEH? Is it to broaden your skillset? If you don't have two years experience with pentesting, you will likely not receive the certification. If you are looking just for the knowledge, then I would just self-study but not take the exam. If you are looking to add a certification, I would recommend taking a training course from an approved training provider, assuming you don't have the two years experience.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did the price climb up? As I did it in 2015 and AFAIR it was $600 + $100 for me (no access to materials/labs, just challenging the exam).

And it's so worthy to have that I'm too shy to put it on my cert list here on TE and have no plans renewing it. Bye, CEH!
  • Dr. FluxxDr. Fluxx Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is the EXACT reason I went to go for studying the OSCP.
    The CEH, was, for me, not worth it.
    you could also go for the CISSP for LESS.
    Which, while i think its somewhat overrated, its considered MUCH more valuable, at least by HR records than the CEH.
    If i had the money for a CEH, in no way would i actually go for the CEH with regard to the CISSP and/or OSCP which holds much more value in the work place.
    Ultimately, youre basically paying more for less IMO.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    New ridiculous price went live July 1st. There was a thread a month or two ago covering this. I am counting the days until mine expires. No way I'm giving them money for CEs.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Did the price climb up? As I did it in 2015 and AFAIR it was $600 + $100 for me (no access to materials/labs, just challenging the exam).

And it's so worthy to have that I'm too shy to put it on my cert list here on TE and have no plans renewing it. Bye, CEH!

Now its $950 USD + $100 application fee. Employer does not do tuition reimbursement, but they do pay for certs and training...so taking the CEH for me = xfer credit into WGU = employer paying for some tuition.

If pen testing is the long term goal, look long term. Do you think an OSCP lacking CEH on his/her resume would be over looked because of that? Unlikely.

Do the eleransecurity Junior pen testing program (https://members.elearnsecurity.com/) as a warm up to OSCP. Then throw all your effort into OSCP. Its 60% the cost of CEH and retakes are affordable.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check out the eJPT by elearnsecurity. I'm sure you'll learn a lot of hands on stuff. It's a great intro course :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CEH is a waste.... if your trying to get past HR I would get a company to pay for it. I would personally go for the eJPT then the OSCP or just the OSCP. But I wouldn't sit for the CEH unless a company paid for it
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good advice everyone - thanks.

I've signed up for the OSCP 90 day labs. I've wanted to do it for months so just went for it. I'm fairly good with python, basic bash scripting, very strong Linux command line skills and some hacking of virtual machines... so hopefully the OSCP will be manageable for me.

My work wouldn't pay for the CEH. They have paid for the MCSA exams but I've yet to find time to look at that.
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)