Options

Keeping the ball rolling: My WGU:MSCIA thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    WinterbornWinterborn Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bermovick,

Working on VLT2 and my Capstone, and I agree, there is significant divergence between the supplemental data, the rubric, the task directions, etc. for all of VLT2, it was also the same for several previous courses as well. The content isn't the only issue, its how the evaluators follow (or don't follow) the rubric. I've had to challenge 12 of my papers in this degree program (Cybersecurity and Assurance). VLT2 Task 1 passed this morning, Task 2 is #15 in queue and I have no faith and confidence it will pass.

If you truly feel you have it right, challenge the hell out of each paper until it is reviewed and substantial explanation is provided for why it failed. My VLT2 Task 1 failed because the evaluator didn't like the fact I used the word Risk, for the sub-heading. I changed the word Risk to Threat and on my re-submission had it get rejected for the same reasons. I challenged and they determined the evaluator looked at the wrong paper. After a senior supervisor reviewed the paper,l it passed.

My point is, make them give solid reasons for the failure, I have doubts about the eval team being IT professionals as any IT Pro would understand the word Risk was a header, the content reflected the threat......

Regards,
    Brian
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    706 down... barely. The pre-assessment was good, with only one section low; I crammed that one area and scored lower in the actual assessment, but a pass is a pass, right?

This finishes my term, with a month spare to start studying for the CEH (C701), to take its exam early in the next term.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Great progress. Inspiring for me.

My employer is paying for CEH and CHFA this year, I am 99% certain I will start this program in 2018 (I have to complete my BS this fall) but in the mean time once I complete CEH and CHFA are there any books you could recommend reading to prep for this program?

Was there anything in your background that stood out that you could recommend?
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the updates!
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    Long time, no update, but like my last post said, I wasn't going to try accelerating the CEH and risk having it be an incomplete.

Spent the month working on the CEH, and just passed it. That was a pretty rough exam; too many questions I felt were ... maybe subjective? Where you were supposed to choose the correct one, and I felt several were correct, and picking which is "most" correct is just ... meh.

But a pass is a pass. On to the CHFI course. If I can pull that off around the end of the month, that leaves 5 months for DR and the capstone.

• Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nice job! Your pace was really good. CHFI will be fine as long as you study the material.

I hated going into another term when I could have busted my ass and got through in one, but it was a huge stress reliever knowing that I had several months to finish my capstone if I needed the extra time.
  • Options
    CHFI passed this morning. It was kinda easy, all things considered. Some really common-sense questions (no, you can't host a rave at a crime scene), some really basic things (windows filesystem types). I probably would have come pretty close to passing even without studying. But I did, so I did.

[edit: those weren't questions (NDA & all), but are similar enough to give an idea]

On to FXT2 (Disaster Recovery). Oh. 3 more papers. yaaaay

The 2017 Texas commencement is Sept 30 & you can request an exemption so long as you're enrolled in the capstone. My SM agreed to add the capstone once 702 (CHFI) was passed, even though they usually prefer only accelerating once class at a time, so yaaaay!

• Options
    SecAdmin1981SecAdmin1981 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Bermovick,

I am struggling with C706, I am on my 4th and final attempt on the assessment. Any tips anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I find the study guide did not help me! My problem are is the CMMI model.
  • Options
    There's not a whole lot I can recommend; CMMI was by far my weakest point too.

• Options
    Working on FXT2 (Disaster Recovery) and I put off doing anything for a week or two because... I didn't want to do it (coping with burnout after 19 months of accelerating through BS & MS). But work is between projects, which means I spend the day with nothing to do.

Short version: Tasks 1 & 2 both submitted today. 1 sucked to write, and will probably get kicked back, but I think 2 is ok.

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    Working on FXT2 (Disaster Recovery) and I put off doing anything for a week or two because... I didn't want to do it (coping with burnout after 19 months of accelerating through BS & MS). But work is between projects, which means I spend the day with nothing to do.

Short version: Tasks 1 & 2 both submitted today. 1 sucked to write, and will probably get kicked back, but I think 2 is ok.
    I am working on the same. This is my last class with papers, I have 706 and 702 next.
  • Options
    Task 1 did get kicked back and I took turns for the last week trying to fix Task 1 while working on Task 3. Submitted both on Wednesday and Thursday, and both passed yesterday afternoon/evening. Only the Capstone remains.

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Task 1 did get kicked back and I took turns for the last week trying to fix Task 1 while working on Task 3. Submitted both on Wednesday and Thursday, and both passed yesterday afternoon/evening. Only the Capstone remains.

Great work, keep it up!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great work..I am right behind you with only 3 classes left.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    For the sake of completeness and closure, I finished the capstone mid-December and graduated (barely!) within 2 terms.

Jess also graduated in the same timeframe; she got stuck on one (certification) class, but passed on her 5th (and last!) attempt to complete her MS: DA

• Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the sake of completeness and closure, I finished the capstone mid-December and graduated (barely!) within 2 terms. Jess also graduated in the same timeframe; she got stuck on one (certification) class, but passed on her 5th (and last!) attempt to complete her MS: DA
    Congrats man! Been following your thread for a while, an inspiration for me and my BSIT:Sec. :) What's next? [if you don't mind me asking..]
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations, good job!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management