Options

Passed CISM Jun 2017 and just received Certification notice

patmanpatman Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
This forum has been a great motivator even though I've just been a lurker for all these years!

The CISM exam was very much different than the CISSP in that it was mostly non-technical and definitely management oriented. Work experience definitely made the exam a little bit easier in understanding the questions and determining the best answer.

Although I'm a voracious reader, it was real hard studying the review manual! The QAE DB might have helped but I'm too cheap. Besides, the most helpful preparation step was probably framing the mindset towards ISACA's view of management's perspective - something you learn real fast when dealing with non-technical C level executives!

I don't think I would have done it without reading all the posts here.

Comments

• Options
    averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Party at Patmans!!!! BYOB!icon_cheers.gif
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Ambreen30Ambreen30 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I have booked mine for Sept. I am really stressed as I don't want to fail it. Any tips would be great :)
    I am have purchased the QnA database from ISACA. Will that be enough to pass the exam?
    Oh and I don't have any management experience icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Options
    patmanpatman Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CISM exam is heavily biased on impact upon the business, RISK, Business Objectives, etc. Experience helps while reviewing the manual frames that experience to find the best answer. I wonder if dealing with management/senior management helps much more than just simply _managing_ security?

I was nervous about taking this test (and also failing) but trudge through the material as best you can. I've heard a lot of positives for the qae database so that might be a more interactive study tool. I have to admit that that big yellow CISSP BOK book was a much EASIER read!

Keep reading all the posts in this forum, it gave me some confidence and solace in paying for the exam fees :)

Good luck and think how a CISM would answer those questions.
    Ambreen30 wrote: »
    Congrats, I have booked mine for Sept. I am really stressed as I don't want to fail it. Any tips would be great :)
    I am have purchased the QnA database from ISACA. Will that be enough to pass the exam?
    Oh and I don't have any management experience icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    kamal2007kamal2007 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how can I get CISM Q&A databse? CISM in itself is too costly. :)