Ccna - network administrator

vinhnguyenvinhnguyen Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm sort of lost here, hoping i could receive some pointers. I just finished my Network Administration Certificate from a local college here in MI. While in the Network Administration program i did basic routers and switches configuration (setup ip address for the ports, move them into vlans, trunking etc.) I also took a security class (which is hard AF). I have like 7 more classes to get my Associates in Network Admin. Can i do anything with this NETWORK ADMIN CERT? I am planning to get my CCNA- R&S and hopefully going a step further to CCNP. Also, anyone here from Michigan?

Comments

• labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will be off to a solid start if you go ahead and get your CCNA before you finish, so when you get out with your Associates degree and a CCNA, you'll have no trouble finding a decent job right out of school. You definitely should go ahead and start your CCNP studies after your CCNA! Cheers!
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Agree with what Labscloud said. Your associates and a CCNA will get the ball rolling. Get some work experience and start on your CCNP. Just watch out for some of the smaller companies though- "Network Administrator" tends to be a blanket job title for "IT Guy Who Does EVERYTHING".
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're definitely on the right path and it's best to do as both labscloud & Fulcrum45 said. Taking advantage of certifications while in school will give your a competitive advantage in the network engineering job market once you're done. I had that same opportunity when I was in UG and passed on it because I thought I wouldn't need those certs....2 years later I was kicking myself because I could have had a jump-start on knocking them out.
  • vinhnguyenvinhnguyen Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you guys, definitely boosted my motivation.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    Agree with what Labscloud said. Your associates and a CCNA will get the ball rolling. Get some work experience and start on your CCNP. Just watch out for some of the smaller companies though- "Network Administrator" tends to be a blanket job title for "IT Guy Who Does EVERYTHING".

Haha yes, that is true.

Job titles and responsibilities vary as you go from one company to another. Same with IT degrees.

OP: Try not to lock into one specific title or degree. Instead just focus on the job responsibilities and see if you have the skills and knowledge required to perform them. Sometimes you won't find out until the interview if it's a fit or not.

Also, you can't always go by certs either. Sometimes you'll see clueless recruiters list stuff like "CCNA/CCNP/CCIE Preferred". Okay, so which one is it? Other times they will list an entire laundry list of items they want you to know that are beyond the cert they list. You look at it and it looks like a CCIE listing, but they will list CCNA. Sometimes it's made unwillingly by someone without a clue, other times they are actually trying to poach(e.g. Let me see if I can get a CCIE for CCNP money,etc).It will come with time but you'll have to develop a filtering skill when searching for jobs.